× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to stora via windows Explorer, only FTP and mystora.com

Sjef
Novice

Can't connect to stora via windows Explorer, only FTP and mystora.com

I can Access the stora by Mystora.com and FTP, but i cant access it by windows network \\stora or IP, then it will give the "Cant access the \\stora" Diognose or close

I run the Stora Agent
Took step 1, it said, you stora is running ok
Selected Step 2, installed agent, agent tried to map drive, but got a message "unable to map drives to 'stora name'. The stora may be restarted

I restarted the stora

Stil the message "unable to map drives to 'stora name'. The stora may be restarted

I can ping the ip, can ping the stora name but cant login or map it via windows explorer

Anyone got any idea what this mess is?
Message 1 of 34
Sjef
Novice

Tried to use the Stora agent installer to Reset the device, no use, still cant get access.
Message 2 of 34
chrispbrown2255
Aspirant

Hi,
I've come across the same problem, tried updating to the latest firmware still no joy. If I reboot the stora I get temporary access via windows explorer.
I'm the system administrator for my company and am running other netgear NAS products on our LAN's in multiple countries without a problem. I thought the Stora would be a good cheap home NAS box what a dissapointment.
Message 3 of 34
mtiede
Tutor

Maybe Firewall is in the way?
Message 4 of 34
mtiede
Tutor

Maybe you can change the IP to a fixed IP. If the IP is being set dynamically, maybe it is different from the one that \\stora knows. Of course, you said you could ping it, so you should be able to do the same \\youriphere.
Message 5 of 34
Sjef
Novice

iv changed it to 192.168.1.20 and back to .10, no use, and firewall is off, its a clean Windows 7, tried my other laptop with vista, same there. I can ping it with all the IP's i hit it with, but Explorer isn't able to connect still. I'm REALLY running out of options here..
Message 6 of 34
Sjef
Novice

Do anyone think it would actually work with a Factory reset? Thats the only thing i haven't tried yet, but I'm afraid all my 800gig backup would just be unreachable.
Message 7 of 34
mtiede
Tutor

What exactly are you doing that fails?

Have you tried, in Windows Explorer, doing \\192.168.1.10? (with your ip)

Is that what is failing?

Or are you actually trying to map a drive letter? You really don't need a drive letter mapping to access the Stora.

Or is it something else that is failing?
Message 8 of 34
Sjef
Novice

Have you tried, in Windows Explorer, doing \\192.168.1.10? (with your ip) Thats what's failing, as i mentioned, everything else works BUT doing just that and mapping the drive to a shared folder on the stora. FTP Works on the stora mystora.com works on the stora Stora agent does NOT work (cause its trying to go through Windows explorer) Windows explorer does NOT work up against the stora Its like it got insufficient right towards it or something, but explain that when I'm trying on my Vista laptop that never had any problems connecting it and all of a sudden, it just...can't. Hope this clears out for any misunderstanding
Message 9 of 34
Sjef
Novice

I now tried an Hard Reset, didn't work, everything else works BUT the Windows explorer. Anyone, there GOT to be a solution other then throw it away?!
Message 10 of 34
Sjef
Novice

I now tried an Hard Reset, didn't work, everything else works BUT the Windows explorer. Anyone, there GOT to be a solution other then throw it away?!
Message 11 of 34
vt_dave
Aspirant

Hey Sjef,

I've had a very similar problem:
Thread: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=58550&page=2
Post: http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=306132&postcount=11

to fix the problem (which just happened again for me) I've logged onto http://stora and I reset the stora through the preferences panel.

I'm starting to wonder if a Netgear Duo would have been a better choice for my home nas?

Anyone else have any ideas what might be happening?
Message 12 of 34
Sjef
Novice

Ok so this is as frustrating as it can get, bear with me here:

I BOUGHT a 2TB disk JUST to use in my Netgear wndr3700 USB port

I come home, plug it in so i can transfer my files to the 2TB disk on the \\readyshare\USB_storage share from my storaconnected via FTP client Filezilla, but i soon find out that its going so Sloow, 2-3MB/s. (Filesystem NTFS)

I checked the situation on the web and found out http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=41194

its just IS! that slow, great, Netgear is really coming through to me now -_-

SO i thought,hey! Lets change the file system on the 2 TB to EXT3, it runs faster on the WNDR3700 around 12-15mb/s, this is an ok speed, and the partition took 17 hours!!! on Ubuntu 10.10, fair enough i thought, its a common thing..

Eventually the process finished, the 2TB is now a EXT3 disk, so i plug it in the Router and finds the disk, but there is a problem, there is only 98gig free!!

At this point i Freaked out.

I went back into the Stora main problem, ok so i cant connect via \\192.168.1.20 or \\stora, lets take the stora disk OUT of the stora and in to my linux machine running ubuntu 10.10. I find the 1tb disk and a Raid array, but its not able to open any of them for file transfer!

The idea was to plug USB 2TB into the linux machine with the 1TB stora disk to transfer, well that went west.

So after all these hours of Searching for a solution i REALLY need a Netgear guru so stand up here and give me a solution, there is NO WAY a consumer should go through all of this trouble just to connect to it via \\192.168.1.20 - \\stora!!!

If you are confused about what my problem is, see my first post and go through the entire thread.
Message 13 of 34
vt_dave
Aspirant

Could you ever access your stora through \\stora or \\IP.IP.IP.IP ?

When mine has this problem i just reboot it from the preferences panel and when it comes back up my laptop can re-map the drive to it.

Hope that helps (i know it's not mind blowing advice)
Message 14 of 34
Sjef
Novice

vt_dave wrote:
Could you ever access your stora through \\stora or \\IP.IP.IP.IP ?

When mine has this problem i just reboot it from the preferences panel and when it comes back up my laptop can re-map the drive to it.

Hope that helps (i know it's not mind blowing advice)

Thanks for response mate

Yeah, it was a random day and it just didn't want to respond to
\\ip.ip.ip.ip - \\stora

i JUST! found out a workaround this BRILLIANT problem.

I used a Program for some years back on my own server, called NetDrive. It pretends to be a Windows explorer and have all its features when you map it as you have in Windows explorer connection.

So im using that atm, this way i can copy my backup to my 2 TB disk with full mb/s not just 2-3mb/s via FTP

But its a workaround the problem, i cant use it as an network share to my PS3 or X360... So ill just throw it away i guess, there is actually no solution to my problem then working AROUND it, and thats eating me up.
Message 15 of 34
vt_dave
Aspirant

Sjef wrote:
But its a workaround the problem, i cant use it as an network share to my PS3 or X360... So ill just throw it away i guess, there is actually no solution to my problem then working AROUND it, and thats eating me up.

Don't junk it just yet 😉

After you copy all your data to your 2TB drive, try hard-reseting the device to factory (pin-hole on the back I think) and then run the recovery utility:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=59089

I'm sure that's what the netgear mod would say, again, not mind blowing advice but you might at least get your nas back.

As an aside, I only get 2 to 3 MB/S through ftp to the device as well. Is this some arbitrary limit?
Message 16 of 34
Sjef
Novice

vt_dave wrote:
Don't junk it just yet 😉

After you copy all your data to your 2TB drive, try hard-reseting the device to factory (pin-hole on the back I think) and then run the recovery utility:

I'm sure that's what the netgear mod would say, again, not mind blowing advice but you might at least get your nas back.

As an aside, I only get 2 to 3 MB/S through ftp to the device as well. Is this some arbitrary limit?

Thanks again for your reply, appreciate it.

I did a Factory reset before i bought the 2TB as a last try, AND did the Diagnostic and Repair tool but no luck. After that i quick logged on my Linux machine and checked there if i could get any access, i would only get the same message i get in windows only the linux version of it, something with "cant mount because of rights" or something, So there goes all the Windows firewall questions out of the window.

Its really sad that you also get a 2-3mb/s, i cant say anything else that i feel your pain, i HAD 20-35mb/s when i used Winodws Explorer, and 2mb-3mb via FTP.

I hope for Netgear's sake that they blow those bottlenecks out of the way from there products REALLY soon.

Tip of the day: Use NetDrive to Map your Stora and get back your 20-35mb/s
Site name: whatever
Site IP or URL:
http://local-stora-ip/mydisk/user name
Server type:
WebDav
Account:
user name nor stora name
Password:
your password

Good luck!
Message 17 of 34
Sjef
Novice

I still have the problem with the "Cant get access to \\stora" in Windows Explorer, does anyone have any input here? Robyb? anything at all?
Message 18 of 34
chrispbrown2255
Aspirant

Sjef wrote:
I still have the problem with the "Cant get access to \\stora" in Windows Explorer, does anyone have any input here?

Robyb? anything at all?

Have you tried the self diagnostic and repair tool linked to here

I was having the same issue as you being able to access it every way except as \\stora. I tried the tool above and not had a problem after 3 days running.

Its painfully slow though, so i'm going to try that netmap that been discussed in another thread.
Message 19 of 34
chrispbrown2255
Aspirant

chrispbrown2255 wrote:
Have you tried the self diagnostic and repair tool linked to here

I was having the same issue as you being able to access it every way except as \\stora. I tried the tool above and not had a problem after 3 days running.

Its painfully slow though, so i'm going to try that netmap that been discussed in another thread.

oops I mean netdrive thats been discussed above.
Message 20 of 34
Sjef
Novice

Yeah, i have tried the diagnostic and repair tool several times now, via Windows and linux. I have followed the instruction step by step, but no use. I have used every trick in the book, still nothing.
Message 21 of 34
chrispbrown2255
Aspirant

Cue the silly questions.

Have you tried using your laptops to access other shares on other devices?

Have you tried moving your Stora to a completely different network?

Have you checked in the Stora preferences that network sharing for private files in enabled?

In Windows is network discovery turned on?

Have you done something silly in your IP settings and subnetted yourself?
Message 22 of 34
Sjef
Novice

chrispbrown2255 wrote:
Cue the silly questions.

Have you tried using your laptops to access other shares on other devices?

Have you tried moving your Stora to a completely different network?

Have you checked in the Stora preferences that network sharing for private files in enabled?

In Windows is network discovery turned on?

Have you done something silly in your IP settings and subnetted yourself?

Q1 answer: Yeah laptop cant connect either.

Q2 answer: Tried my old router, same thing.

Q3 answer: Yes

Q4 answer: Yup, because i can find my Netgear router share AND stora share, so discovery is no problem, PS3 finds it and also cant connect, get a error code from both X360 and PS3.
Message 23 of 34
funkaygibbo
Aspirant

I've got the same problem, can't see the Stora in windows explorer except as a dnla device.

Over 2 hours on the phone to Netgear technical support and it's still unresolved.

Disappointing to say the least!
Message 24 of 34
Sjef
Novice

funkaygibbo wrote:
I've got the same problem, can't see the Stora in windows explorer except as a dnla device.

Over 2 hours on the phone to Netgear technical support and it's still unresolved.

Disappointing to say the least!

Its amazing that netgear cant even fix the problem...

Use NetDrive to replace the Windows explorer functionality

It did the trick for me, have all my data covered on a 2TB USB disk, now i just need to get the Stora fixed for use again.
Message 25 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7