× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot see Stora as a share from Windows 8

TerryJColes
Luminary

Cannot see Stora as a share from Windows 8

I don't know why Microsoft do it, but they seem to break network compatibility every time they bring out a new version of Windows. I remember having similar problems when my daughter got her Win 7 laptop.

Well she has replaced her old laptop with a shiny new Sony Vaio with Windows 8. When we browse the network, the Stora only shows up as a UPNP stream and not as a Windows share. So although she can see what is on the Stora, she cannot write to it.

Browsing the web, the only references I can find seem to indicate that this is a bug in Win 8, but I cannot believe that Microsoft would release Windows if it was unable to access file servers.

My suspicion is that this is to do with Homegroups, because it would appear that Win 8 doesn't support Workgroups.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 11
janvaane
Aspirant

When you find your stora on the media devices as UPnP you cannot write to it, only read.
Make a network connection to the IP of your stora: On Computer>>right mouse Map Network Drive
fill the ip adress followed by FamilyLibrary
eg: \\192.168.1.3\FamilyLibrary
Connecting using different credentials
Fill your Stora account name and password
Done
The folder will show up in Windows Explorer onder Computer
Do as you need other folders as \MyComputers or \MyLibrary
JanV
Message 2 of 11
TerryJColes
Luminary

Jan, Thanks for the help. That worked. I still would like to know why MS Hide the device in Windows Explorer.
Message 3 of 11
janvaane
Aspirant

Hi Terry
you can find your Stora in the Network Neighborhood
Look in:Windows>>
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings in Private (current profile) whether the first bullet is on AND Turn on automatic set up of network connected devices is checked.
Message 4 of 11
janvaane
Aspirant

Hio Terry : have a look here in WIndows

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings and then check the box Turn on automatic setup of network devices.
Message 5 of 11
TerryJColes
Luminary

janvaane wrote:
Hio Terry : have a look here in WIndows

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings and then check the box Turn on automatic setup of network devices.

Jan,

That setting is already set.

The problem seems to be Linux devices being seen under Windows 8. It's not just the Stora, but my PC running Kubuntu also fails to show up. They both show up on Windows 8 computers.
Message 6 of 11
inkygr
Aspirant

Hello, I have a quite similar problem.
I cannot access my stora as a windows 8 share. When I try to login through stora agent it says

"Unable to map drives to 'vasinky'. The Stora may need to be restarted"

which i tried and didnt work.

When i go through windows explorer I see my stora on the side panel under Network but when I click on it , it says
"Windows cannot access \\STORA
Error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found. "
When I click on Diagnose windows say "The remote device or resource wont accept the connection "

Cannot anybody help?

I should say that I can access my stora through the web interface, and with an ftp client with the use of my credentials through port 21

Thx in advance
Message 7 of 11
inkygr
Aspirant

Hello, I have a quite similar problem. I cannot access my stora as a windows 8 share. When I try to login through stora agent it says "Unable to map drives to 'vasinky'. The Stora may need to be restarted" which i tried and didnt work. When i go through windows explorer I see my stora on the side panel under Network but when I click on it , it says "Windows cannot access \\STORA Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. " When I click on Diagnose windows say "The remote device or resource wont accept the connection " Cannot anybody help? I should say that I can access my stora through the web interface, and with an ftp client with the use of my credentials through port 21 I have done hard reset and used the Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool but nothing Thx in advance
Message 8 of 11
TerryJColes
Luminary

inkygr wrote:
Hello, I have a quite similar problem.
I cannot access my stora as a windows 8 share. When I try to login through stora agent it says

which i tried and didnt work.

When i go through windows explorer I see my stora on the side panel under Network but when I click on it , it says
"Windows cannot access \\STORA
Error code 0x80070035
The network path was not found. "
When I click on Diagnose windows say "The remote device or resource wont accept the connection "

Cannot anybody help?

I should say that I can access my stora through the web interface, and with an ftp client with the use of my credentials through port 21
I have done hard reset and used the Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool but nothing

Thx in advance

Hmmm. This is a bit different to what I am seeing. My Stora doesn't show up in the side bar at all; I'd like to know why. However, JanV's original suggestion of remapping the drive by typing the IP address into the dialog does work.
Message 9 of 11
inkygr
Aspirant

TerryJColes wrote:
Hmmm. This is a bit different to what I am seeing. My Stora doesn't show up in the side bar at all; I'd like to know why. However, JanV's original suggestion of remapping the drive by typing the IP address into the dialog does work.

I ' ve tried remapping by typing the IP ADDRESS\MyLibrary but nothing, it still gives me
Message 10 of 11
inkygr
Aspirant

I got it finally working by re-flashing
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements