× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot set up remote access

bordonbert
Guide

Cannot set up remote access

Hi guys. I recently changed my network router from a BT OpenReach to my trusty Netgear WNR3500 so had to set up the network again. The Stora is back online locally but I have found I cannot access from outside my network via the web interface.

In the Stora Preferences I have the following:

Network sharing of private files - enabled; workgroup name - correct
Configure router by UPNP - enabled; Overwrite router UPNP config - enabled
Network services LAN FTP enabled; Internet FTP - enabled
LAN connection fixed IP address set, gateway IP correct
New login created and registered with MyStora to ensure login details match.

Now for the problem, Remote Access is turned off and when I try to set it on I get the error message: "The server could not be reached. Please try again in a few moments." That was 24hours of 'trying in a few moments' ago!

Using the Port Forwarding Tester shows the following:
You have 2 out of 4 ports open (going to your Stora from the Internet). See details below.
Your External IP Address is: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (N.B. Removed through possible paranoia)
Port 21 (FTP access): A device other than your Stora is listening on this port.
Port 22 (Support): This port is open / accessible from the internet.
Port 443 (Secure Web access): This port is open / accessible from the internet.
Port 80 (Web access): This port is blocked.

Port 80 did show as open a short while ago until I came here and found then downloaded a self repair update which I rebooted twice as per instructions. Not sure if this is now a big problem.

Port 21 shows another device listening on this port but I am unaware of any other device which would be listening on that FTP port. Can someone advise me if there is a way to identify what this device is? I am not a network tech by any means but am very PC literate in other ways so should be able to follow instructions reasonably well.

UPNP is turned on in the router and shows ports 20, 21, 22, 80, 443 mapped only to the Stora in the UPnP Portmap Table. I have also tried mapping ports 21 and 80 to the Stora in the Port Forwarding section as these seem to be the problematic ones in the report, not at all sure if this is correct or necessary.

Is there anything else which I should check for this or can anyone point me at a solution?
Message 1 of 10
bordonbert
Guide

I've just attempted to remove the entries in the Port Forwarding section but it made no difference. So, thanks as per the instructions in the Stora Router Configuration Wizard, I have replaced entries for ports 22, 80, 443 in the Port Forwarding table and port 80 now shows as open in the Netgear Port Forwarding test report.

I cannot add Port 21 to the Port Forwarding setup as the router also tells me that "The specified port (21) is being used by other configurations". I am still in the dark as to what else is holding port 21. Can't anything report to me which device is affecting it. I hate bland generic error messages. They always remind me of a runty middle class man in a pullover and glasses whining "You really don't want to do that, you want to do this!", then walking away before even telling you what "this" is.
Message 2 of 10
bordonbert
Guide

Well, after a simple router reboot I have found I have now been able to add ports 20 and 21 to the router's port forwarding list for the Stora. This has made no difference to my ability to turn on web access in the Stora preferences. I am still told that the server cannot be reached and to try later.

I've spent a lot of time now going through other posts on the forum and I have to say I am not filled with confidence about this problem and other similar ones. It seems to be fairly common and to require fairly strong measures to correct it, (when it can be corrected). I'm also very disappointed by the lack of response from Netgear themselves as to offering any assistance or a fix. I had thought of them as one of the better companies in the market not a "stack 'em high - sell 'em cheap - get out quick" type of operation. Live and learn I suppose.

There seems to be a reflash on startup facility for post version 2.3 firmware. I am running 2.6 so assume this is available for me. It seems to have been met with mixed responses, some report it as an instant fix and others that it hangs at worst or goes nowhere at best. Could this provide any help in my case?
Message 3 of 10
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi, Do a reflash first, this will place a fresh copy of the firmware onto the stora. Then I would turn off upnp on the router, set a static ip on the stora or reserve an ip on the router in the dhcp table. Then manually port forward on the router. :)
Message 4 of 10
bordonbert
Guide

Thanks for the confirmation Southkil. I will get the flash done asap and report back.

It sounds like I might have set up conflicting options as I have UPnP set on on both the Stora and router and I also have set up a static IP for the Stora on both too. IPs I have no problem with but UPnP is a bit of an unknown to me in this context. Is there something about the two which is incompatible?
Message 5 of 10
Southkil
Aspirant

Turn off upnp on the stora and manually port forward on the router to the static ip of the stora. When I first got my stora, I had upnp turned on. After about an hour of used I used to lose my Internet connection. Took ages to figure it out, but after doing the above, I've never had a loss of Internet again. :)
Message 6 of 10
bordonbert
Guide

The only reason I turned UPnP on is the warning on the Preferences page that "Please note that disabling UPnP configuration on your router will noticeably decrease the performance of your Stora." That now has me doubting my own interpretation of what they are meaning there.

Do they mean turning off only the Stora UPnP settings, (i.e. select "No" for both settings in Stora Preferences -> Server Preferences -> UPNP Router Configuration), is fine but turning UPnP off in the router's own preferences is a bad thing?
Message 7 of 10
Southkil
Aspirant

I think they mean, if you turn off upnp on the router and stora but you don't manually port forward, you will lose performance on the stora. As long as you just turn off the Stora's upnp, leave the routers upnp selected (for other devices on your network) and manually port forward on the router, you shouldn't have any problems. :)
Message 8 of 10
bordonbert
Guide

Ok, time for an update. The problem is resolved! Many thanks for your support Southkil you got me through this.

Eventually all it took was turning off the UPnp on the Stora only. I had it turned on on the router where I was already working with fixed IP addresses within a defined range for all of my devices. With a home network and no occasional random devices to hook up this has always seemed to be the better more secure option to me. I can then allocate a specific range within firewalls and limit LAN and WAN access on the router very precisely.

One oddity occurred. After turning off UPnP on the Stora I was still unable to turn on remote access. As before I was given the message that the server was still unavailable. However, as with most things, I figured it might benefit from a restart. After the restart, horror of horrors, I had a blinking blue power light and red disc lights. This was still the case after an hour, so, let's try restarting again.

Curses, it wouldn't respond to the power button so I had to unplug the power lead. I was now sweating as I tried to restart again. Initially I got the same thing, red disc lights, but these cleared after a couple of minutes of blue blinking and what do you know, I was able to access everything. In preferences I then attempted to turn on remote access but it still failed. So finally in the true spirit of the thing I restarted the router too and this time it succeeded. On testing externally I have access to my files over the internet again and I didn't even need to flash the Stora on startup.

Thanks Southkil for your time and that advice re UPnP on the Stora. Can't help thinking the Stora warning is a little ambiguous to someone who is not expert in UPnP but what the heck. Just getting a response form someone who will sympathise with my problem was enough to keep me positive. I hate to see posts in forums going completely unanswered as it is often soul destroying for the poster. So thanks for the hand holding, it sure got me through this.

😄 Happy bunny!
Message 9 of 10
Southkil
Aspirant

No problem mate. I always find that if your network starts playing up when it previously worked fine, a power down of the whole network and then powering up, one-by-one, of each of the devices, starting with the router, seems to work wonders. Just wait until each device is fully up and running before going to the next one. This way you'll know when the device works and, more importantly, it will show up if you have a problem device. I'm glad I could help. Cheers. 🙂
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7