× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DEAD Stora MS2110

Auburn_Boy
Guide

DEAD Stora MS2110

Hello,

I really hope some STORA expert reads this and can help.

I recently experienced several power hits to my home, and later noticed the STORA had not shut off?  It might have rebooted, but I don't know for sure.

When I did notice the condition of the STORA later in the day its condition was one I had not seen before.  POWER and bothe DRIVE LEDs were fast blinking.  Both DRIVE LEDs were blinking orange!  (Installed drives are a Seagate and an Hitichi.)

The STORA would not power off with the power button, so I had to unplug it.  Plug back in the power source, and using the power button to turn it back on resulted in blinking BLUE power LED.  The disks spin up, but no further behaviors noted on the box.

No connection to the internet was found using my Windows 10 tools or an IP Scanner.  The IP assigned by my router was detected as assigned but inactive (dead is the label in the tool.)

So I decided to perform the rest operation described in the "flashing blue led" thread: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Stora-Legacy/Flashing-blue-light/td-p/373612

(Drives removed)

POWER ON.  Wait 15 seconds.

RESET after power button turned on produces no change.  Blinking Blue LED is the result.  No furter change after this reset.

I tried to get past this stage several times, being careful to get the timing as exact as I could.

So then I thought to test other power up/reset possibilities.  The simplest being hold BOTH the power button and the RESET button on and wait for any changes in LED pattern.  This worked to bring up a different pattern, so I tried another.  

PRESS both and release RESET button while holding power.  This produced no difference.  POWER LED fast blinking, drive LEDs off.

Next I tried: PRESS BOTH, release power button and HOLD the RESET button.  

This produced a new result, and after a couple of cycles through this here is what I see:

PRESS POWER and RESET, release power while holding RESET.  BLUE POWER blinking.

After a 10 second delay, BOTH drive LEDs blink 8 times  (same cycle rate as power button, about two blink per second.)
After another ten seconds, BOTH drive LEDs blink 8 times.

After another tensecond dealy, BOTH drive LEDS go into continuous blink cycling, with no further change even after a long, long wait.  

Under no circumstances does the POWER button ever turn OFF the unit.., 

The Desktop (Web connection) application does not find the stora, looking on the original leased IP.  Windows Explorer will not navigate to the assigned DRIVE letter for any of the local assignments: MyLibrary, MyComputers, or FamilyLibrary.  Also, the IP scanner finds no live STORA or any NEW IP addresses that might be the MS2110.

Can anyone give further advice on what might be going on, and what I can do to recover?

Might my disk drives and DATA still be safe under the RAID Volume?  I have located a USED STORA that I could purchase to recover the disks if it's possible.

If not revoverable in a STORA, is there any other utility that might be able to recover this STORA RAID Volume?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
JamboK
Aspirant

Re: DEAD Stora MS2110

Sorry Auburn_boy I dont have an answer, more like another request for help.

Mine did a similar thing as yours, I completed the recovery steps and it took the best part two weeks to get to the point I'm at now. I have a steady Blue LED and 2 Orange LEDs. However, both disks were "Unknown Active" before I issued a reboot and now they report "Unknown Clean". The stora still believes they are no disks in the device. 

Is there any way to get these disks online and get my files back?

Message 2 of 3
Auburn_Boy
Guide

Re: DEAD Stora MS2110

I found that my STORA would not boot farr enough to obtain an IP address.  Effectively making it dead externally.  

I purchased a USED STORA online for atout $50.

Reset that one, and after setting up my original account, I.D., and password on it I plugged in the two hard drives and rebooted.

All my data was SAFE!!!

I'm not sure about yours though.  It looks like you can boot it, but still end up with blinking orange LEDS.

So I don't know any way to help with that.., Sorry.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7