× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Deleted files by accident

nor_zander
Follower

Deleted files by accident

Hello.

I just deleted a photo folder by accident and there seems to be no way to regret this action. On a computer there is a waste bin....why is this not on stora?

This must be a major issue...deleting things by accident is a common thing, is there no way to recover this on netgear stora??
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Shut it down ASAP, Contact Southkil or read through his post. If anyone would know he would from what I've read.
Message 2 of 9
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi, I thank Searay for his recommendation but I haven't had experience of this problem. I'll base my answer thought on other peoples experiences and possible solutions for you. You can go down the route of professional assistance and get you files restored but this is expensive or there are a few program's out there that might help. You need to look for a XFS files system viewer or a Linux OS machine. This way you can mount the drive directly to the computer. Next you need a file/folder restorer. Google these and you should find one (sorry, I can't think of any at the moment but if I do I PM and reply to this thread) You should be able to get back most, if not, all off you files/folders. Next is to raise the "One copy is not enough" point. Although the stora is good for storing your files, please be sure to have at least one more copy of important files/data elsewhere. That way if you do accidentally delete a file/folder, you can restore easily from your data backups. I have two storas, one in the house and one in the shed at the bottom of the garden. They are linked to the network via powerline adapters and are synced on a regular basis (one a week) Hopefully this helps, if I think of any more, I'll let you know. Cheers. :)
Message 3 of 9

Southkil wrote:
Next is to raise the "One copy is not enough" point. Although the stora is good for storing your files, please be sure to have at least one more copy of important files/data elsewhere. That way if you do accidentally delete a file/folder, you can restore easily from your data backups.

Or when the hard disk dies. Two copies is an absolute minimum. Especially for photos.
Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I got burned once using a NAS. I now use Windows Home Server, shares are all backed-up on a separate drive in NTFS and can be removed and used in any PC or placed in a safety deposit box.

NAS devices are fine if they are thought of as the Backup copy and each folder resides on another machine or another NAS.
Message 5 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Such hassle to say some time in simple NAS usage. No difference than any hard drive you treat. Back up on Back up is always must.

I'm Mac user on all my personally use using Drobo with let OSX time machine back up so I have at least year worth of data that I can access at any time at will without loosing. 🙂
Message 6 of 9

searay wrote:
NAS devices are fine if they are thought of as the Backup copy and each folder resides on another machine or another NAS.

Exactly.

I also copy to USB attached boxes, as well as local copies.
Message 7 of 9
Southkil
Aspirant

.....all good points raised but getting off topic from the OP.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts on files/folder restoring?

🙂
Message 8 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Data recovery with software at this point.

Drive that is not less then DOD wipe 3 times has higher rate recoverable
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7