× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error Message 513 - Mac/Time Machine

DrVali
Aspirant

Error Message 513 - Mac/Time Machine

I've just recently purchased a Stora 1TB. I installed 2 new seagate 2GB drives in the machine, and have verified that they have completely synced.

I want to use Time Machine to back up my files on my mac. I have enabled Computersbackup on the Stora Web interface and assigned a password.

I've run the Stora Time Machine App - under Applications:Stora Desktop Applications:ComputersBackup

It sees the Stora and has the proper username. When it asks for a password, I put in the password and get a pop-up window with an exclamation mark and a message that just says Message 513.

The error message does not change if I put in a bogus password, or if I use a simpler password on the Stora device.

Any solution to this problem?
Message 1 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

Re: Error Message 513 - Mac/Time Machine

I don't know what error message 513 means. But you could try to setup up manually.

First, mount the Stora2 server, and the backup share.

Done 🙂
Message 2 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

I get this error:

Connection Failed

The server "stora2" may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

I can access the Stora via the web interface. I've even tried using the name I gave the Stora as well as name2 and the direct IP.
Message 3 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

Was this before you got to the username/password screen?
This failed when you tried to mount via smb, correct?
Message 4 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

Do you see Stora2 in the "Shared" side bar of Finder?
Message 5 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

Stora2 does not show up in the networks section.

I can manually do stora and use computersbackup with the pasword and then I get 3 directories with options to mount: FamilyLibrary, MyComputers, MyLibrary

I can do the same thing through samba on a linux box, but I don't see a stora2 on the windows network under linux either.
Message 6 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

Interestingly enough, under linux, I can access the samba shares and there are 4 directories listed - but all under the server name "stora"

There is ComputersBackup$, FamilyLibrary, MyComputers, and MyLibrary
Message 7 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

Stora2 should appear after you have enabled this in the Administration Section Computer Backup. In fact until recently we couldn't get rid of it. You could try turning off Stora then turning back on, that seem to shut off mine after I tested the feature for you.

I just tested all this on my Mac with the latest version (2.5) and this all still works the same.

... if you do get to the username/password screen, I forgot to put the "s" in the password, should be "computersbackup"
Message 8 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

I did change the workgroup to the proper workgroup, and now I can do smb://stora/computersbackup$ and put in computersbackup as the username and then the proper password. It seems to mount the drive, but time machine will not allow me to select it for a backup location.
Message 9 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

By design Stora does use the Stora2 server for time machine backups, this resolves a conflict in read/write functions using a samba share, I think.

So until you are able to see and mount the Stora2 server using a computersbackup$ share I don't believe time machine will be allowed make a sparesbundle.
Message 10 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

I'll try the reboot thing later. I thought the problem might be with the new discs I put in so it's doing a reformat and resync - which takes about 5 hours for 2 GB drives - unless it's safe to power the Stora off while this is happening.
Message 11 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

Versions prior to 2.32 didn't use the Stora2 server, are you to at least this version? The latest is version 2.5
Message 12 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

I would wait till this completes.
Message 13 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

OK - wanted to update this:

I installed two drives and had formatted them - stora2 did not show up while this was going on. After the drives were completely formatted and synced, I tried to do the software update that was available - but it failed.

So, I then rebooted the Stora by pressing the power button for 10 seconds and waited for it to reboot. I then installed the software update - which rebooted the Stora.

At this point, Stora2 became available and I went ahead and ran the Stora Desktop Application Computer Backup. This didn't work.

Stora2 is seen by the network, and I can mount it using the commands you list above, but it doesn't show up in the disk list for the Time Machine. I've power cycled both machines with no changes in this problem.

Now, I do have over 1 GB of data that I want to backup - but I have 2 GB drives in the Stora.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 14 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

If I'm understanding this correctly, you are running the the current version, 2.5

Message 15 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

I finally got Time Machine to see the mounted stora2 directory.

I dropped to a terminal and issued this command:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

That put the stora2 computersbackup$ in the file list, and I used that.

I'm going to see how it goes.
Message 16 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

DrVali wrote:
I dropped to a terminal and issued this command:

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Fascinating enough I noticed that command line posted on the apple forum back in December, even bookmarked it, ... apparently then, quickly forgot about it 😮

Glad it work to populate the list for you. I hope Stora works out in regards to your backups. 🙂
Message 17 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

Gah, that didn't work either. Got me closer...

The error I get now is

Time Machine could not complete the backup.

The backup disk image "/Volumes/computersbackup$-1/MacMini's Mac mini.sparsebundle" could not be created (error 45).

I even tried unmounting stora and manually mounting smb://stora2/computersbackup$
Message 18 of 23
DrVali
Aspirant

FINALLY GOT IT

OK, I noticed that Time Machine would only select the stora server - so on another mac I ran the stora mac software and it ran exactly as the instructions.

So, I went back to the original machine, uninstalled the stora software by deleting it from the applications directory and reinstalled the stora software.

Then everything went exactly as advertised.

Very odd. I guess trying to run the computersbackup stuff before upgrading the stora via the web interface set some preference in the stora software on the mac not allowing it to perform properly.
Message 19 of 23
grishers
Novice

Hi,

I've been reading this post in regards to setting up timemachine on a mac book pro... I too get the 513 error. I have been able to mount to computersbackup through smb but don't understand the remainder of the instructions.

I dropped the terminal command but that didn't seem to do anything. Should I see something in the terminal window confirming this is done?

Where should I be looking to see the stora2 when this is done? I cannot see it through either timemachine or through the Stora computersbackup application.

Apologies for all the questions but this is frustrating!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Grishers
Message 20 of 23
grishers
Novice

Scrub that... i picked up your other responses on the backup using timemachine post which solved the problem. Backups now running!

Thanks 😉
Message 21 of 23
sillyname
Aspirant

Persistance pay$, ...but not very well 😉
Glad TM is working for you now!
Message 22 of 23
tlk2marty
Aspirant

I'm working through this thread now on a recently purchased Macbook air. I have the 513 error when running the ComputersBackup app that installed. Following the tips in this message I've been able to mount //stora2/ComputersBackup$ but still don't see it when running Time Machine to configure. I've just done the "defaults...." command referenced by Dr. Vali but still time machine does not show the ComputersBackup$ option (which does show in finder now as mounted), and the setup app still errors with 513. Looks like these posts are two years old. Would be nice if something was made more easily available by Netgear in their FAQ or product support pages along the lines of steps to get it to work. I'm going in search of sillyname posts for using Time Machine.
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7