× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Flashing blue light

johnmclane1
Tutor

Flashing blue light

Could anyone please help.Only had stora a few days worked great out of the box. installed stora on network and software from cd.Then installed new firmware 2.3 since then cant connect remotely and now the things blue light keeps flashing and wont connect to network its really annoying. Thanks
Message 1 of 33
hrabeX
Aspirant

reboot router
Message 2 of 33
johnmclane1
Tutor

If you mean turn router off and back on ive done that but still got problems.Thanks for reply
Message 3 of 33
robyb
Aspirant

If you've rebooted your Stora without any harddrives and it still gives you a blue blinking light, please follow the recovery procedure:

Follow these steps:

• To put the device into recovery mode, power on the device, wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 4 of 33
johnmclane1
Tutor

Thank you! Roby i did exactly as you said and i am able to access the stora now. I was starting to think i had a black paperweight. If this guide to recover the stora isnt a sticky thread it should be. Thanks again!!:)
Message 5 of 33
drdavepier
Tutor

robyb wrote:
If you've rebooted your Stora without any harddrives and it still gives you a blue blinking light, please follow the recovery procedure:

Follow these steps:

• To put the device into recovery mode, power on the device, wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

Cheers,
Roby!

I tried this after getting blue lights that flashed 5-6 times and then went off for 2 secs and then repeated. Currently its been an hour and the HHD lights are blinking in orange one after the other. should it take this long? i have a 10mb connection so i dont think the download should take this long.

Oh i should say that i took the drive out before doing this, is that a problem?

what do i do now? leave the box and see if it fixes itself or turn it off and try again? and should i put the drive back in??

Thanks
Message 6 of 33
drdavepier
Tutor

update: after even longer the box has sorted itself out. turned it off put the drive in and then redid all the setup and tada its working again!

Thankyou Roby!!!!!
Message 7 of 33
ram222blue
Aspirant

:mad:Tried the reset and on the third flash the power and HDD LEDs just continue to flash. I have to pull the power cord to stop the unit.
Message 8 of 33
magiccow
Aspirant

robyb wrote:

Cheers,
Roby!

There were a few anxious moments there where it seemed to think that the hard disk was blank and needed to be formatted. Thankfully I walked away at that point, and perhaps 15 mins later the Stora had remembered that this was my old disk full of precious photographs. Now I can see all of my data again.
Message 9 of 33
unclecuddles
Aspirant

This worked for me (TFFT!).

I removed the drives, plugged in the power lead, pressed the power button, waited about 15 seconds then held in the reset button for about 30 secs until the blue light stopped flashing and the orange light came on. Everything else was as per Robys instructions

Cheers!
Message 10 of 33
user1167_1
Aspirant

Followed Roby's hard reset and it seems to have worked up to a point - the stora no longer has a name, but is recognised still by my router and has an IP. The only problem is that after the releasing the reset it did something completely different. Now I have steady blue LED, HDD1 LED flashing green to amber and HDD2 flashing amber in synch with the HDD1.

Is this pattern significant and should I leave it? I have a relatively fast line and more than 10 minutes have passed when the download and burn should have happened.

I cannot power down the stora box either.

I'm a bit closer to the goal, but stuck. Any ideas? Thanks, Lisa
Message 11 of 33
user1167_1
Aspirant

I cannot get the box to get passed the:

stage. It started a cycle at 20:13 and 2 hours later it was still in this cycle after the previous hard reset (recovery procedure) actions were done/seen.

I need to know - should the hard drive be inserted when doing this procedure? I've tried both ways and same result. Always sitting at this stage of the recover procedure for hours.

I really need to know if this is my box or a known issue that can be resolved so that I can send it back if required. Regards, Lisa
Message 12 of 33
Geoff_Frost
Aspirant

Why is this stuff not on the CD? For Netgear products this is essential basic reading to get you going.
Message 13 of 33
SirLonewolf
Aspirant

I too have this problem....

My stora has one 1TB Hdd. I have scheduled my Stora to turn on 8 in the morning and off 22 (10 pm) in the evening.
One morning I left home before it was turning on, and when i came home the blue power led was blinking and the the HDD1 led had a constant green light.
As many others I couldn't turn off the stora by other means than pulling the power cord.

I have tried to reset as RobyB describes both with the HDD in and out
Here is what happens...

No HDD mounted:

-> Turned on
-> after a sec the blue power LED starts to blink
-> after about 15 secs both HDD LEDs blink once (Orange), and both LEDs turns off
-> The second the HDD LEDs blink I push and hold the reset button
-> The blue power LED keeps blinking and the HDD LEDs stays off

The HDD mounted:

-> Turned on
-> after a sec the blue power LED starts to blink
-> after about 15 secs both HDD LEDs blink once (HDD1: Green | HDD2: Orange), and the HDD1 LED stays on while the HDD2 LED turns off
-> The second the HDD LEDs blink I push and hold the reset button
-> The blue power LED keeps blinking and the green HDD1 LED stays green

I have tried several suggestions on the forums and the result i always the same.

BTW....I can't see the stora neither in the network folder nore on the device list on my router....so I conclude that the stora never gets an IP-adr...nore is there any network activity.
Message 14 of 33
gulden
Aspirant

SirLonewolf wrote:

I have tried several suggestions on the forums and the result i always the same.
...I can't see the stora neither in the network folder nore on the device list on my router....

Netgear certified professional servicemen (not the stand-up comics from the support) are eager to help you in this case. Don't make them wait. I didn't.
Message 15 of 33
SirLonewolf
Aspirant

gulden wrote:
Netgear certified professional servicemen (not the stand-up comics from the support) are eager to help you in this case. Don't make them wait. I didn't.

How do I contact the "certified professional servicemen"?
Message 16 of 33
Guru
Aspirant

ram222blue wrote:
:mad:Tried the reset and on the third flash the power and HDD LEDs just continue to flash. I have to pull the power cord to stop the unit.

Did you sort this out. cuz i have similar situation. what i did was as follows

Message 17 of 33
    kknewgal
    Aspirant

Brilliant, followed instructions and it fixed problem completely - pity I wasted days with the online help and the telephone.

thanks very much 🙂
    Message 18 of 33
    tdcrick
    Aspirant

Wish I had found this thread before sending my drive back 😞 Might have prevent my current problems!!!
    Message 19 of 33
    SirLonewolf
    Aspirant

I just wish it could fix the problem on my Stora, but none of the guides resolve the problem 😞

Think the only thing I can do now, is to send in my box 😞

So is there anyway I can get to the files on the HDD?
    Because I have some photos etc. on the drive, that I don't want to loose.
    Message 20 of 33
    joggum
    Novice

What happens to the premium subscription after a reset?
    Message 21 of 33
    victoryariina
    Aspirant

joggum wrote:
    What happens to the premium subscription after a reset?

If it is not this 30 days premium subscription, then nothing.
    Regards
    Message 22 of 33
    Bonsaif
    Aspirant

Hello,

today I had the same error. Both HDD-LED are green without blinking. Blue power LED is flashing sometimes and then paused for 2 second, flashing ...
    Stora IP is ping'able but no access.

I followed Robys instructions and after resetup and recreating my accounts I inserted the two HDDs. Everything works like before.:)

But the download- and recover process took over an hour and not 4-5 min! (I have DSL 1000)

One questions came up for me:
    What is, when this recovery service over the internet is dead? Is there any possibility for local backup and recovery of Stora itself?
    Or will be stay this service forever?

Regards from Germany
    Message 23 of 33
    profile428
    Novice

Tried this and other processes. Get constant blue light after a while and then all other lights blink 2 short followed by 3 long blinks. Cannot find what they mean. No disk in ReadyNAS Duo.

Thanks,
    Message 24 of 33

Re: Flashing blue light Can't get any reset to work!

Tried for over 3 hours to get my STora to reset ...... the only change in lights I get is all three flashing together endlessly! not very helpfull. Only option is to return the black paperweight to the retailer for a refund.... I am not spending loads of time every few months going through support forums late in to the morning to try resetting things that should by their nature be more robustly made and with better software / easier to load etc. A very poor product that certainly puts me off buying Netgear stuff again.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Message 25 of 33
    Discussion stats
    Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7