× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hard Drive Upgrade

kbmccarthy
Follower

Hard Drive Upgrade

I searched but didn't see this question asked, so if it has been asked, I apologize.

Long story short, I have had my Stora for a few years and I'm very happy with it.

That said, I'm slowly running out of space, and want to expand my Stora.

Current setup has 2 WD hard drives with a RAID configuration. One of the drives is 1TB and the other is 2TBs.

Long story, but I was impatient and Best Buy didn't have 2 of either at the time of purchase, so I just grabbed one of each, knowing I wouldn't be able to use half of one of them.

Fast forward to today. I have purchased a second WD 2TB hard drive, and I want to upgrade the Stora to 2TBs.

I'm fairly sure that I cannot hot swap the 1TB with the new 2TB and magically have 2TBs. From what I have gathered, the configuration is currently setup to use 1TB in RAID. Is this correct?

Next, what are my best options? Copy everything over to a backup HD (I have a 4TB drive with space) and reset the Stora using the 2 TB drives? Can I take a backup of the Stora on this external drive, swap the 2TB drive in, and restore the backup (or will this still be configured for 1TB)? Is there another option/better way.

I'm OK with how long it might take, but I just want the easiest and most straightforward method, regardless of time.

Thanks
Message 1 of 2
rsinj
Guide

Re: Hard Drive Upgrade

Easiest/safest way is to copy everything off the Stora to a local drive on your desktop, then install the new drives on the Stora, then copy everything back to the Stora.
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7