× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

robyb
Aspirant

Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

Stora Hard Reset steps:

-Hold hard reset button (pin hole between power and ethernet) for 30-45 seconds.
-You will see the 2 harddrive lights quickly flash every 5 seconds
-Wait until the harddrive lights have flased 6 cycles and release
-Upon release the blue light will flash for <20 seconds.
-Once steady the device has been reset to factory.

Q. Will I lose any of my data
A. All your data can be recovered by recreating the existing accounts on the device.
Message 1 of 152
mstevem
Aspirant

Re: Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

I want to reset and remove all the data. How is this done?
Message 2 of 152
robyb
Aspirant

mstevem wrote:
I want to reset and remove all the data. How is this done?

Before resetting, go to Preferences -> Raid -> Format. Then reset the device following the above steps.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 3 of 152
Iluvfibro
Aspirant

I have a question about the existing user accounts after a hard reset. If my Stora gets Physically stolen and the thief does a hard reset to gain access to the unit, I'm assuming they will see everything in the "Family" folders instantly because it's a default, however they would need to recreate the existing users to find their data?

My main question is, is there any way for a thief to find out what the missing user accounts were so they can just recreate them? I'm concerned because the device isn't encrypted that there's almost no protection against physical theft.
Message 4 of 152
newtonen
Aspirant

I try to do a Hard Reset to my Stora MS200 and it's doesn't work.

I had a mistake in IP address and is out of my network. I can't acces to stora.

How can I do a Hard Reset?

If I press the reset buton, the hard disk light blink every 5 seconds, but after six times, when I release the button, my stora returns to the last status, not factory...

Thank you
Message 5 of 152
hrabeX
Aspirant

Could anybody confirm, that hard reset will keep all files in Family Folder, please? Thanks
Message 6 of 152
hrabeX
Aspirant

bump..
Message 7 of 152
hrabeX
Aspirant

hey...anybody reading this?:mad:
Message 8 of 152
robyb
Aspirant

hrabeX wrote:
Could anybody confirm, that hard reset will keep all files in Family Folder, please? Thanks

Yes I confirm, from the first post:

Q. Will I lose any of my data
A. All your data can be recovered by recreating the existing accounts on the device.
Message 9 of 152
hrabeX
Aspirant

Thanks!
Message 10 of 152
ralnar
Novice

Is the Stora supposed to be on or off when resetting?

My Stora is currently in a state where turning it on leads to the blue light blinking and green light steady, and nothing more, not connectable.

I tried, using a pen, to press the red reset button both with device on and off but I see no reaction. When off, nothing happens, when on, the blue light just keeps blinking.
Message 11 of 152
IamBren
Novice

Iluvfibro wrote:
I have a question about the existing user accounts after a hard reset. If my Stora gets Physically stolen and the thief does a hard reset to gain access to the unit, I'm assuming they will see everything in the "Family" folders instantly because it's a default, however they would need to recreate the existing users to find their data?

My main question is, is there any way for a thief to find out what the missing user accounts were so they can just recreate them? I'm concerned because the device isn't encrypted that there's almost no protection against physical theft.

Hello! I just bought a Stora and have been browsing the forums here. I wanted to pipe in to answer this question. As I understand it, the Stora uses a fairly common and well known file system (XFS) and the data on disk is NOT encrypted. Therefore, if someone stole your Stora and had a little bit of technical knowledge, they could probably pull the drives and access your data from another system. (If you have just one drive, it would probably be much easier than with two.)

What I suggest (and will do myself) is using Truecrypt to create an encrypted volume on your Stora, and then storing your most personal data there. The tutorials on the site are pretty good at walking you through this. The volume would appear as a simple file on the Stora, but would be inaccessible by anyone without your password, and/or key file (depending on how you set up the volume).

Hope this helps.
Message 12 of 152
vega_ska
Aspirant

I wonder if this technique of creating a big file with truecrypt is compatible with the premium stuff (at least compatible with backup), cause i dont think the pictures and stuff will be visible with the webinterface or premium services 😞
Message 13 of 152
IamBren
Novice

vega_ska wrote:
I wonder if this technique of creating a big file with truecrypt is compatible with the premium stuff (at least compatible with backup), cause i dont think the pictures and stuff will be visible with the webinterface or premium services 😞

I wouldn't put everything in an encrypted volume. Only the most personal stuff like Quicken files, bank statements, etc.
Message 14 of 152
jackmotel
Aspirant

If old account is forgotten after a replacement Stora is shipped, but old drive is put back in, can files in the "MyLibrary" be recovered?
Message 15 of 152
vega_ska
Aspirant

So i tried the reset and keeptd the button pressed for 1 minute (even used a stopwatch to time it), nothing happened, is my stora dead ?
Message 16 of 152
robyb
Aspirant

vega_ska wrote:
So i tried the reset and keeptd the button pressed for 1 minute (even used a stopwatch to time it), nothing happened, is my stora dead ?

You're not supposed to keep it pressed for one minute, you keep it pressed for six blink cycles of the HD lights...

Why are you wishing to hard reset your Stora? Maybe the device isn't booking up and that's why you can't hard reset.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 17 of 152
hrabeX
Aspirant

I've tried to hardreset my Stora to fix daap (iTunes) streaming problems = no result, streaming still hangs. As for many other users.
No solution here 😞
Message 18 of 152
rsinj
Guide

vega_ska wrote:

Is the green light on on your power supply? Is your power supply possibly dead or the power cord in the one side not plugged in good? Check you have firm connections all around between the electric outlet, power supply brick, and the Stora.
Message 19 of 152
Kees
Aspirant

None of the above seems to hard reset my stora. What am i doing wrong? Due to some router problems my Stora hasa unknown IP-adress so i can't reach it. What now?
Can someone help me pls.
Message 20 of 152
Aslanoglu
Aspirant

Roby, Several people have asked this, but an answer does not follow. I have followed the steps you have described in the opening post, but the stora does not act as you said it would. Furthermore: it does not reset. What do we need to do?
Message 21 of 152
pdr0663
Aspirant

newtonen wrote:

If I press the reset buton, the hard disk light blink every 5 seconds, but after six times, when I release the button, my stora returns to the last status, not factory...

Thank you

I concur with this result. The hard reset appears to be not so hard.

The units has:
1) Flash memory
2) Hard disk memory (on the installed drive)

Are both areas reset to factory condition? Why if I "factory reset" does the login continue to recognize the volume name, and allow me to view the folders using the Stora Agent?

Paul
Message 22 of 152
Kees
Aspirant

newtonen wrote:

Thank you

I try to do the same. Due to a faulty router my Stora now has a unknown IP address and I can't access it. A hard reset has no result or I can't detect a difference. The setup program can't find my STORA.

Who can give me some advice.

THNX in advance
Message 23 of 152
Iluvfibro
Aspirant

IamBren wrote:
Hello! I just bought a Stora and have been browsing the forums here. I wanted to pipe in to answer this question. As I understand it, the Stora uses a fairly common and well known file system (XFS) and the data on disk is NOT encrypted. Therefore, if someone stole your Stora and had a little bit of technical knowledge, they could probably pull the drives and access your data from another system. (If you have just one drive, it would probably be much easier than with two.)

What I suggest (and will do myself) is using Truecrypt to create an encrypted volume on your Stora, and then storing your most personal data there. The tutorials on the site are pretty good at walking you through this. The volume would appear as a simple file on the Stora, but would be inaccessible by anyone without your password, and/or key file (depending on how you set up the volume).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that suggestion - however I'd already thought of that. Been using TrueCrypt for years. The problem with the TrueCrypt solution is that only one user (on only one machine) can mount an encrypted volume at any one time. No good in my situation as I have multiple users sharing the same area. Even for my files I have multiple machines that need to access them at the same time - so it won't work.
Message 24 of 152
Jabercrombie
Aspirant

To restore to factory default hold in reset while you power on the unit after 6 blinks of 2 green hd lights release and the hd will reformat to factory defaults
Message 25 of 152
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7