× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

ram222blue
Aspirant

Re: Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

Tried this and nothing happens?
Message 26 of 152
stumblingFish
Aspirant

Kees wrote:
None of the above seems to hard reset my stora. What am i doing wrong? Due to some router problems my Stora hasa unknown IP-adress so i can't reach it. What now?
Can someone help me pls.
I tried the "Procedure" posted by hellorheaven on 02-aug and it worked for me, but I had to wait 8 minutes for the disk lights to stop alternating on/off and for the power light to come back to a solid blue.
After that, I was able to go through the set-up process again to create my user accounts and set my preferred settings. maybe you will have similar luck.

My problem: STORA only had a blinking blue power light and green disk light. Unplugging it was my only way of turning it off. When I plugged it back in, it seemed to boot but would never get past the blinking power light phase.
Message 27 of 152
Odge
Aspirant

OK, my problem was while setting up my wireless bridge I turned on MAC address filtering and I hadn't added the MAC address of the Stora to the client list first. This was stopping the Stora getting on my network. I've now successfully reset, turned off MAC address filtering while setting Stora back up, turned MAC filtering back on, now I'll try and connect it to the bridge again. My data appears to be intact... PHEW!!!

So the hard reset works.:)
Message 28 of 152
unclecuddles
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
You're not supposed to keep it pressed for one minute, you keep it pressed for six blink cycles of the HD lights...

Why are you wishing to hard reset your Stora? Maybe the device isn't booking up and that's why you can't hard reset.

Cheers,
Roby!

I have swapped out my router, and it wouldn't connect to the new one even though it was in the same ip address range. Tried a reset as per your instructions, but on the third cycle of green HDD lights, they never went off! I was holding the reset button in for a few minutes until my hand hurt and the third cycle never went off. I had to start again in the end but the same thing happened. My router can see the stora on an ip address which I can ping, but the stora software can't see it and I can't connect via a web browser.

Looks like I might be returning it.
Message 29 of 152
unclecuddles
Aspirant

Further to the above, I managed to sort mine out by following the recovery process as detailed by Roby in the Flashing blue light thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=55225 (I inserted the bits in bold for clarity).

Follow these steps:

• To put the device into recovery mode, (after removing harddrives) power on the device (with ethernet cable connected, plug in and press power button), wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.
Message 30 of 152
Pillhead
Aspirant

Ive reset mine but cant regain access to set it up... It has reset as my old user name and password are now not recognised. If i try and use the stora set up application off the cd it just says Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.11.5. also under the reset part of the setup it says no stora!? Ifi try and log in to my stora it resolves to the right ip address but again nothing. Anyone with ideas? Any other ways of resetting it and gaining control before i rma it?
Message 31 of 152
User1167
Aspirant

Hello,

I attempt a hard reset and get the following scenario:

Power LED continuously flashes
HDD LEDs flash and go off 2 times
HDD LEDs then flash continously in unison with Power LED and stay this way.

The firmware update killed an HDD (not sure how that happened). It was visible and working fine before the upgrade. Axentra stated it was bad after.

I got the other HDD working and recognised and even performed a system backup to \\STORA\FamilyLibrary\MyBackups.

Last night the box turned itself off as I had set up in the GUI. This morning when it came back on - FamilyLibrary share is no longer accessible. QuickConnect - page cannot be found. I cannot reset the box by the setup CD.

The Stora and HDDs are 2 days old.

Thank you for your help Roby. You were helping me over at Axentra, but it is now the box itself I think. Best, Lisa
Message 32 of 152
Casperuk
Aspirant

unclecuddles wrote:
Further to the above, I managed to sort mine out by following the recovery process as detailed by Roby in the Flashing blue light thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=55225 (I inserted the bits in bold for clarity).

Follow these steps:

• To put the device into recovery mode, (after removing harddrives) power on the device (with ethernet cable connected, plug in and press power button), wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

hello everyone

i followed the above and nearly lost all my data. DO NOT remove the hard drive when doing the factory reset on the stora as it will not recognise the drive and ask you to format it.

if you leave the drive in and then do the factory reset it works.
Message 33 of 152
jonzi_456
Aspirant

Hi all,

Im having a bit of trouble with my Stora. Ive had it working perfectly streaming my films to my playstation 3, but the other week, i got an upgrade on my internet, and the Virgin Media guys came round and installed a new router. The old IP range was 192.168.1.* and the new ip range is 192.168.0.*

so, i performed a hard reset, logged onto my router's config pages to try and work out which IP it was for the stora through the connected devices. But the new router does not show the names of the devices, only the IP address.

So after going through every single one to try and find the Stora, i couldnt find it at all. Ive downloaded an application that scans for network devices, and again cannot find it.

Since then i have hard reset it a couple more times to try to find it again, but with no luck.

Ive even changed the IP range back to what it was (192.168.1.1), but since i have hard reset the stora a few times, the IP would be completly differant.

Has any one had this problem and know of a solution? or know what i can try to get the Stora working on a static IP of my choice?

Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 34 of 152
sillyname
Aspirant

jonzi_456 wrote:
... know what i can try to get the Stora working on a static IP of my choice?

FWIW, in the Preference section of Stora you can set the LAN Connection. It can be set to obtain an IP automatically or you can assign your own IP (recommended). This setting must match what you set on your router. You may also have to change your gateway setting on Stora from 192.168.1.1 to the new 192.168.1.0

Hope this is would you need.
Message 35 of 152
sillyname
Aspirant

sillyname wrote:
... new 192.168.1.0

whoops, 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 -whatever the new true gateway is.
Message 36 of 152
jonzi_456
Aspirant

sillyname wrote:
whoops, 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 -whatever the new true gateway is.

Hi thanks for the reply. Problem is, since the router change, I have hard reset the stora, to try to make the stora auto-detect what IP range the network is in. So it must now have a random IP address because I can't find it at all, so I can't login (to change the ip settings) because the ip is unknown to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks again 😃
Message 37 of 152
zoltar99
Aspirant

Had the same problem, blue power led blinking every few seconds, managed to hard reset it after following unclecuddles' instructions. However, CasperUK is right, you have to have your hard drive connected. Now I have all my data back, however, this Stora unit is going to be sold, I am going to buy an Iomega IX2-200 or something else, Stora has too many inconveniences for me, I hate the way they control your device, just like Apple does with their Iphones. I like to be the only one that controls my data. If anyone is interested, my Stora is for sale, only 3 months old 🙂
Message 38 of 152
Casperuk
Aspirant

jonzi_456 wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply. Problem is, since the router change, I have hard reset the stora, to try to make the stora auto-detect what IP range the network is in. So it must now have a random IP address because I can't find it at all, so I can't login (to change the ip settings) because the ip is unknown to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks again 😃

in your browser's address bar go to stora\

this should open the stora setup page, it will only pick up the local network if told to
Message 39 of 152
Casperuk
Aspirant

jonzi_456 wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks again 😃

if you type stora\ in your web browser this should bring up the loging or setup page for the stora. seeing as you have hard reset it it won't be setup to look for your network.
Message 40 of 152
Casperuk
Aspirant

zoltar99 wrote:
Had the same problem, blue power led blinking every few seconds, managed to hard reset it after following unclecuddles' instructions. However, CasperUK is right, you have to have your hard drive connected. Now I have all my data back, however, this Stora unit is going to be sold, I am going to buy an Iomega IX2-200 or something else, Stora has too many inconveniences for me, I hate the way they control your device, just like Apple does with their Iphones. I like to be the only one that controls my data. If anyone is interested, my Stora is for sale, only 3 months old 🙂

i don't get what you mean by they way they control the device, do you mean lack of torrent support?
Message 41 of 152
Guru
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Stora Hard Reset steps:

-Hold hard reset button (pin hole between power and ethernet) for 30-45 seconds.
-You will see the 2 harddrive lights quickly flash every 5 seconds
-Wait until the harddrive lights have flased 6 cycles and release
-Upon release the blue light will flash for <20 seconds.
-Once steady the device has been reset to factory.

My Netgear Stora with two HDDs used to leave HDD1 in sleep mode(amber light) after about 20 mins or so. then my web interface will stop working and only show me white blank page. so i decided to do the follwoing to reset.

Now nothing works, please suggest what to do.
    Thanks
Message 42 of 152
Cripsen
Aspirant

Just did a reset and now i cant access my stora. I know the ip but nothing happens.. When i log on via mystora.com i just get:

Cant find http://192.168.0.103/admin/wizards/setup/wrapper

net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)

If i use the cd the reset function find it as well... Now i really need some help.
Message 43 of 152
nandreassen
Aspirant

Guru wrote:
and then all three leds blink forever (hdd leds are green when blinking)

Now nothing works, please suggest what to do.
Thanks

That happened to me aswell.

Can't hard reset or put into recovery mode.

Tried with and without hdd in it.
Message 44 of 152
zoltar99
Aspirant

Casperuk wrote:
i don't get what you mean by they way they control the device, do you mean lack of torrent support?

Well, from another post on this forum I understood that Axentra/Netgear can access your device for service purposes, e.g. if you need help, so what can stop them to access your data?
Anyway, since I have had the Iomega IX2-200 I have been much happier, I like this device, I'm glad I got rid of the stora. I will be much more careful next time I buy a Netgear product, as the Stora experience has really lowered my trust in the Netgear brand.
Message 45 of 152
roehlaguila
Novice

I just performed a hard reset on my Stora by following the instructions. Now, the setup program cannot find the store and just hangs on step 1 of the Setup Stora program.

Help please ! I have a lot of data on this drive and need to get it back !

I had to do a hard reset because I was not able to access my files even after rebooting the Stora. Will I be able to recover the data on my Stora?:(
Message 46 of 152
roehlaguila
Novice

I can ping my Stora but cannot access the web interface.:(
Message 47 of 152
Casperuk
Aspirant

zoltar99 wrote:
Well, from another post on this forum I understood that Axentra/Netgear can access your device for service purposes, e.g. if you need help, so what can stop them to access your data?
Anyway, since I have had the Iomega IX2-200 I have been much happier, I like this device, I'm glad I got rid of the stora. I will be much more careful next time I buy a Netgear product, as the Stora experience has really lowered my trust in the Netgear brand.

i understand now, it true they can but they do need your username and password. also why would they want to unless they know you are up to something 🙂
Message 48 of 152
dusteur
Novice

If you don't like having your firewall opened by your Stora, disable UPnP.

Better still disable all the stuff you don't want running on it. There's plenty of instructions out there for how to do it. I suspect this forum isn't the place to publicise these things too much though - it's best if you know your way round a linux box if you're going to mess around with these things as it would be easy to lock yourself out of the Stora if you don't know what you're doing.
Message 49 of 152
ace74
Aspirant

Hi Roby, I've followed your steps below but nothing happens. It sounds like the discs are constantly "working" and the status LED is flashing fast five times than pause no matter what... 😞 What else can I do?

Thanks,
Ace

robyb wrote:
Stora Hard Reset steps:

-Hold hard reset button (pin hole between power and ethernet) for 30-45 seconds.
-You will see the 2 harddrive lights quickly flash every 5 seconds
-Wait until the harddrive lights have flased 6 cycles and release
-Upon release the blue light will flash for <20 seconds.
-Once steady the device has been reset to factory.

Q. Will I lose any of my data
A. All your data can be recovered by recreating the existing accounts on the device.
Message 50 of 152
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7