× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

poweropt
Aspirant

Re: Hard reset your Stora - How To & QA

Tried the whole "re-flash" process again and this time in the setup I didn't fill in the "people you share your STORA with will see this name" box and now it seems to work. Maybe that little tid-bit will help someone else in my similar situation.
Message 126 of 152
bugg
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Stora Hard Reset steps:

-Hold hard reset button (pin hole between power and ethernet) for 30-45 seconds.
-You will see the 2 harddrive lights quickly flash every 5 seconds
-Wait until the harddrive lights have flased 6 cycles and release
-Upon release the blue light will flash for <20 seconds.
-Once steady the device has been reset to factory.

Q. Will I lose any of my data
A. All your data can be recovered by recreating the existing accounts on the device.

This stora is a useless POS. There is NO pin hole between power and ethernet, it's on the other side, don't you know your own products?
This only works if you power off 1st by yanking the cord. This process will never fix any issue.
Message 127 of 152
robyb
Aspirant

bugg wrote:
This stora is a useless POS. There is NO pin hole between power and ethernet, it's on the other side, don't you know your own products?
This only works if you power off 1st by yanking the cord. This process will never fix any issue.

Nice personal attack, I know the HipServ platform SOFTWARE very well, and although the Netgear Stora is not my own product, I do know it well too.

Please use the referenced image to circle and post the "pin hole reset on the OTHER side" which is not between the power button and ethernet, so I can get a better understanding.

http://www.wegotserved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/upload_images/NetgearStoraGetsaNew2TBEdition_9DA6...

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 128 of 152
Southkil
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Nice personal attack, I know the HipServ platform SOFTWARE very well, and although the Netgear Stora is not my own product, I do know it well too.

Please use the referenced image to circle and post the "pin hole reset on the OTHER side" which is not between the power button and ethernet, so I can get a better understanding.

http://www.wegotserved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/upload_images/NetgearStoraGetsaNew2TBEdition_9DA6...

Cheers,
Roby!

Hehe.......

I've always found that the reflash procedure works wonders in fixing 'strange' goings on with the Stora.

I must have a Mark I version of the Stora, as my reset button is between the power and RJ45 socket. When did they move the reset switch? 😉

Is there a mod i can do to move this switch?

🙂
Message 129 of 152
farcough
Aspirant

unclecuddles wrote:
Further to the above, I managed to sort mine out by following the recovery process as detailed by Roby in the Flashing blue light thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=55225 (I inserted the bits in bold for clarity).

Follow these steps:

• To put the device into recovery mode, (after removing harddrives) power on the device (with ethernet cable connected, plug in and press power button), wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

You sir are a legend now i have my stora back as i couldnt even conect to it ??
but i did what you said and it all works again ty very much
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
Message 130 of 152
omichaels
Aspirant

I followed the procedure from farcough above and everything went as expected up to "Once the download and burn is done".

Unfortunately, the LEDs indicated the the burn had failed (Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together)!

I'm not sure what to do next.

Suggestions please...
Message 131 of 152
Tucksbrew
Aspirant

I just did a hard reset. Stora appears to be stable, except when I go to run the setup software, I get this error:

Error message: Admin database in /var/lib/oe-admin/configdb.xml is corrupted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/OEone/Admin/DB.pm line 244.

I tried changing my time zone, and it didn't help.

Now what?
Message 132 of 152
thw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have also done the hard reset and went to re register but it will not let me get past the first page. This was the comment:

"Registration

Not Completed

Your Stora was unable to register with mystora.com. If this is not your first time registering the device, please ensure you are using the same Stora name you used before to register. Otherwise please contact support to renew your product key."

I have contacted 'support' but they do not seem to be much help on this. Anyone else have this issue? and yes, I am using the same name.
Message 133 of 152
Tucksbrew
Aspirant

thw wrote:
I have also done the hard reset and went to re register but it will not let me get past the first page. This was the comment:

"Registration

Not Completed

Your Stora was unable to register with mystora.com. If this is not your first time registering the device, please ensure you are using the same Stora name you used before to register. Otherwise please contact support to renew your product key."

I have contacted 'support' but they do not seem to be much help on this. Anyone else have this issue? and yes, I am using the same name.

I managed to get past my install. I wasn't using a stopwatch, so I counted to 16 then pressed the reset button. Give that a while, linger 1 second longer past 15sec, it should all happen the way they say it should.

Hope this helps.
Message 134 of 152
RedTreeRoad
Aspirant

Dear all

I feel sad having to write this ... somehow my STORA has made me feel that my computer skills have completely disappeared! Usually, I am able to do most stuff that I need/want on my computer (without being the "genius" I was in my old days .. a ZX81 being my first "computer"). But I CANT get my Store going (again). Please help! (tried many things)

The situation:

I installed my Netgear Stora using my old Windows PC (been thrown out) but I now want to use it with my Mac. I, however, cant remember username or password. I would prefer to completely wipe the Stora for everything (I have the files somewhere else), but which programs should/shouldn't I install and how to proceed (with/without HD etc)?

If anyone has the time to answer I would be very grateful,

xxx

RedTreeRoad
Message 135 of 152
MatsG
Aspirant

unclecuddles wrote:
Further to the above, I managed to sort mine out by following the recovery process as detailed by Roby in the Flashing blue light thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=55225 (I inserted the bits in bold for clarity).

Follow these steps:

• To put the device into recovery mode, (after removing harddrives) power on the device (with ethernet cable connected, plug in and press power button), wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

I'm trying to do a hard reset on my stora because the blue LED is flashing all the time.

I have tried the solution above and official version and both will end up with the same result.

The third time the green LED starts to flash they will flash forever together with the blue 😞

Please help me with a solution.

/MatsG
Message 136 of 152
mywax
Novice

@MatsG - I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Did you ever get it working? Thanks
Message 137 of 152
yaro137
Aspirant

Who said "you don't loose data"? After resetting my Stora to factory settings and recreating the user accounts when I select Home I'm being asked to select how do I want my stora to operate. If I set RAID1 as it was before I get a warning saying all data will be removed!
Message 138 of 152
Bormark
Aspirant

Ok, I understand that I might ask the same question as everyone else, but I do not know what to do.
I got a new router, and then I couldnt access my stora. I tried what I knew, nothing worked. Then I tried and reset my Stora the way it should be done in this thread (selfhelp, and hard reset). Now it appears in my network, but only in my routers website. Any other way of getting in touch with the Stora is down.
How am I supposed to create a new account with old info when I cant get it open to "talk" to me? Where do I start to register my old account so I can retrieve my info?
Kind of funny: I created a secure place for my familys photos with mirror harddrives. Huh. Now my wife is just staring hard at me...
Any ideas from you smart people?
Message 139 of 152
yaro137
Aspirant

I managed to get most of my data back! I took one of the drives off my Stora and connected it to my PC. Then I started my PC from Fedora Live DVD. I could now access all the folders and files in the administrator user's folder. Only problem is when I get to FamilyLibrary I can see folders and files but cannot copy those as I have no sufficient permissions. I'll try posting on some linux forum to see if anyone knows how to make the Live account the owner with full access.
Message 140 of 152
ossienet
Aspirant

yaro137 wrote:
I managed to get most of my data back! I took one of the drives off my Stora and connected it to my PC. Then I started my PC from Fedora Live DVD. I could now access all the folders and files in the administrator user's folder. Only problem is when I get to FamilyLibrary I can see folders and files but cannot copy those as I have no sufficient permissions. I'll try posting on some linux forum to see if anyone knows how to make the Live account the owner with full access.

I had a similar issue.

Download and run UFS File Explorer. That will let you copy all the files off the Stora drive to another disk attached to your PC.

Then reflash your Stora and format the drive and copy everything back if you want.

Say goodbye to many hours of your life while the file copying takes place :mad:
Message 141 of 152
yaro137
Aspirant

Thanks for that. Will try. Copying run pretty much the whole night yesterday so I've got most of my stuff back.
Message 142 of 152
alexyoga
Aspirant

hrabeX wrote:
hey...anybody reading this?:mad:
Hey yes, I have read the whole post and tried the Rest procedure many times but unit does not respond as indicated and I still get all green and blue lights flashing.
Message 143 of 152
alexyoga
Aspirant

Hi
I have read the instructions and followed them very carefully and tried the Rest procedure many times but unit does not respond as indicated and I still get all green and blue lights flashing.

I push the On button and the blue light starts flashing and immediately follow these instructions:
-Hold hard reset button (pin hole between power and ethernet) for 30-45 seconds.
Then all lights begin to flash for 5+ minutes.
I disconnect power.
Press On button
Start the process again.
The unit does not respond as indicated in these instructions:

-You will see the 2 harddrive lights quickly flash every 5 seconds

What am I doing wrong?
Message 144 of 152
Southkil
Aspirant

Are you leave the reset button in while the light flash for 6 cycles and then releasing it?

If this doesn't work, do a reflash.

🙂
Message 145 of 152
80phoenix
Aspirant

I'm approaching this procedure to solve my issue I described on a different thread.

I'm a bit confused:
1- seems there are two different procedure described in the thread.
I would suggest to clarify which one has to be used.

2- a user asked an important thing w/o getting answer
Does that piece of information (no data loss) apply even to a Stora where the main folder names ("MyFamilyLibrary" and "MyLibrary") have been renamed to something else?
Would be difficult to know folders name of other users

3- I have two disks in RAID, 'cause I saw someone is saying was asked to format disks, how should I manage RAID setup after hard resetting, in the safest way? Should I remove one drive (or both) before starting?

Tnx
Message 146 of 152
80phoenix
Aspirant

80phoenix wrote:
I'm approaching this procedure to solve my issue I described on a different thread.

I'm a bit confused:
1- seems there are two different procedure described in the thread.
I would suggest to clarify which one has to be used.

2- a user asked an important thing w/o getting answer
Does that piece of information (no data loss) apply even to a Stora where the main folder names ("MyFamilyLibrary" and "MyLibrary") have been renamed to something else?
Would be difficult to know folders name of other users

3- I have two disks in RAID, 'cause I saw someone is saying was asked to format disks, how should I manage RAID setup after hard resetting, in the safest way? Should I remove one drive (or both) before starting?

Tnx

I will answer to myself after solving my issue using Reflashing procedure:
1-I was wrong, a user posted in this thread also reflashing procedure. This was creating confusion
2-by experience, you just need to create old users and folders (whatever names you gave them) will appear
3-I would suggest to execute hard reset or reflashing with just one drive in. I'm still not sure how to behave once device is reflashed (to go back to original RAID1), but at least a copy of data will be safe outside the stora on HDD2

By the way I wasn't able to hard reset, following these instructions. Probably, root cause of my issue didn't allow to hard reset too.
Message 147 of 152
simonwallin89
Novice

Hi! Will a hard reset clear the STORA internal memory? I have had big problems with my unit lately so I finally SSH into it and found that the internal RAM (or what ever is used) was filled up so it can't create any temporary files. I Want to free up memory and I thought a hard reset might be the best way, or is it?
Message 148 of 152
mimo
Aspirant

Ah, I did the hard reset while I took the HDDs out so after recreating everything stora wants to format my HDDs so it can use it. Any idea how could I plug the HDDs without formatting? Thanks

Message 149 of 152
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mimo,

The Stora will go through the initial setup procedure after doing a reset and formatting the drives is part of it. I recommend connecting the drives to a computer that runs Linux in order for you to read the hard drives and retrieve the files or you may look for a third party software that allows your Windows computer to read the format type of the drives.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 150 of 152
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7