× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to replace a Stora NAS with another Stora

Windman
Aspirant

How to replace a Stora NAS with another Stora

My Netgear stora just stoped working lately (will not start). To save the data on the disks I just bought another (used) Netgear Stora. My idea was to move the Raid disks from the broken Stora to the one that works as there is no other NAS that may read the data.

On second thought I realised that may not work, either because if the data related to the Stora NAS is on the server HW and not on the RAID discs, I may have to register the used but working NAS before I may use it, which may not a big issue, or beacause it may not be possible to register a used Stora on a new name if the used stora already is registered.

Now I wonder, is it possible to just plug in the two discs in the used but working NAS, or do I first have to register the used NAS and then mount the discs, or is the the idea to use a used Stora NAS to save the data that I have on the discs from my old Stora no god? As I do not want to risc loosing the data on my discs any advice would be helpful.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Auburn_Boy
Guide

Re: How to replace a Stora NAS with another Stora

Hello,

I has the same problem and solution.  I bought a secondhand STORA on eBay.

To reregister it, I did a hardware reset with two spare blank disk drives, registered my original STORA NAME and password.

I then shut down the NAS and swapped in the disks with my data on them and powered on.

It worked like a charm.

Good Luck!

Neil 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Auburn_Boy
Guide

Hello,

I has the same problem and solution.  I bought a secondhand STORA on eBay.

To reregister it, I did a hardware reset with two spare blank disk drives, registered my original STORA NAME and password.

I then shut down the NAS and swapped in the disks with my data on them and powered on.

It worked like a charm.

Good Luck!

Neil 

Message 2 of 5
Windman
Aspirant

Thks for the repy Aburn_boy. I do not have any spare blank discs. I gues that is a requirement to configure the Stora?

If there is no other option i plan to buy a new NAS but I am not sure if new discs are compatible with the Stora, but if can use the discs of a new NAS then I may use your method. Gues I have to format the new discs for Stora before using them and reformat them to no NAS after having configurated the Stora and put in the old dics.

Message 3 of 5
Auburn_Boy
Guide

I would NOT call it a requirement, but I sure didn't want the STORA reset to nuke my data!!

Better safe than sorry.., 

Message 4 of 5
Windman
Aspirant

@Auburn_Boy: Thank you for your input and help. It worked. Here is what I did. I bought a used Stora wich came without discs. I also bought a couple of new NAS discs and logged on to the used Stora with the two blank discs after a factory resett and using same server name, user, and password as my broken stora. I adjusted the settings to comply with the settings of my old stora (i.e. raid). Then I switched to the old dics and had all my data back :). 

I also bought a new NAS to backup the Stora. It is cheaper to just buy an expernal disc, but I will probably switch to new NAS, though I still find Stora quite usefull. The two new dics I have now reformated and installed in the new NAS. 

I am not sure why my broken Stora is not working though it seems to be the power button. I hope the used one i bought lasts for some time now.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7