× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it still possible to get advice on the legacy Stora?

bordonbert
Guide

Is it still possible to get advice on the legacy Stora?

Hi guys,

I am way off the forum path posting this here but it seems that Netgear have stopped support of the Stora.  Even this community forum is making it difficult to know whether I simply have to shut up and slink away with my tail between my legs for using a legacy device or I can ask a question without offending people for my temerity. Smiley Wink

Can someone start by just letting me know if I can still get help and, if so, whether I am in the right place?

Model: MS2110|Media Server|EOL
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is it still possible to get advice on the legacy Stora?

You can ask for help with any NETGEAR product on the community. Moved your post to the right place.
Message 2 of 6
bordonbert
Guide

Thanks for the help in relocating me to a nicer neighbourhood.  On to the problem.

My Stora has been working with a Linn Majik DSM for a year or two now.  Recently the Stora suffered a "senior moment" which required the use of the online reapir tool.  It has done this before and recovered successfully so it was a no worry situation.  This did not go well the first time around for unknown reasons and, after 48hours of churning and chattering, needed to be physically unplugged and re-applied.  I have known that to happen before without problems so again I wasn't too worried.  All appeared well the second time around and it has worked perfectly with access to files from my PCs and laptops on the network as before.  I can save, read and copy document files and play music on my PC via media players like Foobar2000.

The one area which I can't fix is that my Linn Majik no longer reports the Stora in its Media Server list so it cannot access any music on it.  That's a showstopper!

I have an older Netgear WNR3500 router which seems to be set up as it should, UPnP is enabled and the correct ports 20, 21, 22, 80, 443, 50000, 50001 show as open for the Stora.

Using Device Spy on my PC does not show the Stora media server either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can check that the Stora is still running its media server?  Or what else might be causing the problem?

Message 3 of 6
bordonbert
Guide

I'm still trying to get to grips with this problem.  Accessing the Stora via Putty (SSH) and looking around seems to show that the minidlna files are in a strange state, at least according to the info on the OpeStora site, though things may have changed a lot with the Axentra issues.

They say...

The files for miniDLNA:

miniDLNA requires or creates the following files.

/usr/sbin/minidlna … the actual miniDLNA executable or daemon

/etc/rc.d/init.d/minidlna.init … A script which start and stops miniDLNA

/etc/miniupnpd/minidlna.conf … miniDLNA’s configuration file

/mnt/tmpfs/var/run/minidlna.pid … a temp system file containing the process ID of the current (or a running) instance of miniDLNA

/tmp/minidlna … The directory where miniDLNA stores its database and other stuff

/tmp/minidlna/art_cache … The directory where miniDLNA creates and stores images (pictures/thumbnails) sent to your TV

/tmp/minidlna/files.db … the database that miniDLNA creates/updates/uses

/tmp/minidlna/minidlna.log … a log file created and updated byminiDLNA

I can't find any of them and the directory structure is also very different to what they are saying.  Does anyone have any news on the state of play of the media server in the Stora?  Assuming it is still minidlna is there any info available as to how it is configured since the Netgear/Axentra split?

Message 4 of 6
bordonbert
Guide

I've managed to get a bit further forward here.  Using Putty to SSH onto the Stora and sudoing I have found the minidlna.init file and can work with that.  "./minidlna.init status" reports "No miniDlna server is running".  "./minidlna.init start" reports "error while loading shared libraries: libavformat.so.53: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory".  Can anyone else shed any light onto this?

I wonder if this is a product of the recent changes in the Netgear/Axentra relationship.  Would it be possible to install a different media server to replace MiniDlna if it is no longer supported or allowed?  If that is the case then can anyone suggest one which is a simple replacement?

Message 5 of 6
Gitsov
Virtuoso

You should resolve problem with that library, then miniDLNA should start. It's not miniDLNA, it's a prblem with that library.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7