× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is my Stora finally dead?

Euphonium
Aspirant

Is my Stora finally dead?

Good (insert_time_of_day) to you all.

One of my Storas has started acting up recently. It's got a pair of 1.5Tb drives in JBOD, and normally runs 24/7 as my personal cloud and torrent client.
First, the torrent client started getting very sluggish. I checked drive space, and found total 1.7Tb free. A restart seemed to fix the problem for a couple of days, then it came back again.

Next I started to get errors copying data on or off the device, so I wondered if one of the drives was failing. I pulled the HDDs and hooked them up to a linux box and ran a diagnostic and surface scan. Both drives passed with flying colours.

A couple of days later, I lost the ability to access the drive from my Win7 PC - it's normally mapped as drive Z. Windows explorer just gave "cannot connect to drive" messages, but the web interface worked fine and I could ping it from the command prompt.

I tried running the diagnostic & repair tool to no effect. I then tried a hard reset, also to no effect.
Finally, I re-flashed the Stora,and after recreating my account, all was well for about three days, then the problem returned. The the web interface still sort-of worked, but nothing else will.

I re-flashed the Stora again, and it worked for about 48 hours before stopping.
I tried different network cables, different ports on my switch, and finally a different switch, just in case the problem was elsewhere in my LAN.

Finally, I re-flashed the Stora again. According to the LED flashes I saw during the process, everything worked, and I can ping the device from the command prompt, but cannot access it in any other way.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is it time to give up and look for a replacement?

I'm not worried about data recovery - I just pulled the HDDs and swapped them into one of my other Storas and it reads them fine.
Message 1 of 3
Euphonium
Aspirant

Re: Is my Stora finally dead?

No ideas anyone? In that case, what would people recommend as a replacement?
Message 2 of 3
rsinj
Guide

Re: Is my Stora finally dead?

2 Drive ReadyNAS is a good replacement for your Stora. Good deals can be had from Amazon and EBay.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7