× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MyStora on Android OS

Tarfoo
Aspirant

MyStora Security

My ISP (virgin Media) have written to me twice, regarding a device on my network having a security issue.

Their scan reports a device on my network is vulnerable to a POODLE attack.

They reported the device internal network IP. - IP refers to MyStora.

Firstly my research seemed to indicate that the Poodle vulnerability could only be accessed via a device logged on to the immediate network, so I ignored the first letter.

Second letter appeared about 2 months later reporting the same info. Again I checked and the device IP was MyStora.

This time they advised shutting down port forwarding for the device at the router, port 443. Again my research result was the same, only a worry for a device on the actual network. However as a precaution I did as requested, restict MyStora port forwarding at the router. Obviously this disallows contact to the device from outside my network on the internet. 

(Not an issue for me as I only use it as a local backup device).

My concern is as this device is now vulnerable to the poodle attack from within my network an attacker only has to gain accss to a device on the netwok to penetrate the MyStora using poodle.  considering how many MYStoras there are out there it wont be long before this could be an issue.

I fully appreciate that this is now a legacy product, and Netgear does not fully support the product, but, an obvious security issue could trigger an attack via MYStora. I wonder if this might be an issue that could be addressed by a simple firmware update to phyiscally restrict the potential poodle attack. Obiously Netgear would not want to be a manufacturer associated with a product easily attacked. I posted this in case any user had an unexplained issue and so that Netgear could look at the issue and any potential fallout. Plus, it might be an issue for other devices not previously noted.

Message 1 of 2
Tarfoo
Aspirant

Re: MyStora on Android OS

Note, the On Android, appeared as if by magic when posting. It was m intention to only post in My Stora legacy.

Seems I have edited the initial post so this update means nothing.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7