× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need to go from single 1TB to twin 2TB drives

ChimpsInTies
Aspirant

Need to go from single 1TB to twin 2TB drives

Somehow I've managed to fill my 1TB drive that came with the Stora.

I want to replace it with 2x 2TB drives (for more space and redundancy in case of failure)

What's the best way to go about this?

Would it let me just put a 2nd 2TB drive in the 2nd slot, let it all sync up then take out the 1TB drive and replace it with the spare 2TB? Does it even work like this?

Or would I have to get the 1TB drive out and copy it to the 2TB drive and then stick them both in the Stora box?
Message 1 of 11
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi,

Copy from the stora 1TB drive to 2TB drive connected to a computer. When finished, remove the 1TB drive and insert the unused 2TB drive into the Stora's 1st slot. Copy from 1TB to 2TB. When done, clear the 1st 2TB drive and place into the 2nd slot of the Stora. Select RAID and wait for the array to build.

🙂
Message 2 of 11
ChimpsInTies
Aspirant

That might just work. Cheers for the quick reply.
Message 3 of 11
scottie
Novice

Southkil wrote:
Hi,
When finished, remove the 1TB drive and insert the unused 2TB drive into the Stora's 1st slot.
🙂

Just wondering if all of the directories and users settings etc will persist through this. i.e. when you first insert the empty 2TB drive does the stora purge directory level settings for directories it can no longer find?
Thanks in advance!
Message 4 of 11
MrDave
Aspirant

In response to Southkil post I do believe his method will not work since tora uses a different harddrive format than the standard pc harddrive format. By connecting the 2TB drive to the pc the drive format will not be readable when installed in the Stora.
Message 5 of 11
Southkil
Aspirant

@MrDave.

I can see that in my post there was an error in my typing. What it should have said was.

Copy from the stora 1TB drive to 2TB drive connected to a computer. When finished, remove the 1TB drive and insert the unused 2TB drive into the Stora's 1st slot. Copy from 2TB in the computer to the 2TB that is now in the Stora. When done, clear the 1st 2TB drive and place into the 2nd slot of the Stora. The Stora will now format the 2nd 2TB drive in slot 2. Select RAID and wait for the array to build.

This is what I should have typed.

🙂
Message 6 of 11
ChimpsInTies
Aspirant

Would it be quicker to transfer the 1TB over the network to the PC containing the blank 2TB drive or would it be quicker to put the 2TB drive in a USB caddy and attach it to the front of the Stora then move the files over to it via the interface? (obviously not copying via the PC)

Do you have any idea how long it will take to build the array for the 2 drives if one has 1TB of data on it?
Message 7 of 11
ChimpsInTies
Aspirant

What a pain.

I got my 2 new 2TB drives but I'd also borrowed a 1TB external USB drive from work so over the last couple of days I copied all the important stuff off (basically everything) onto that over the network. It took about 36 hours in total.

Tonight I stuck both the 2TB drives in the Stora and hit the configure button in the web interface. It now wants 4 hours to configure the drives in to RAID 1 :eek: These are just 2 blank drives, what's to configure. Now I'm going to have to wait til tomorrow until I can even start the laborious process of copying it all back over. Goodness knows how long that'll take. :rolleyes:

Oh well, we're on the way now at least.

Actually I say they're 2TB drives. I've only got 1.8TB available. What a rip off. that's a whole 200GB I've been mis-sold. :mad:
Message 8 of 11
mjhamilton
Aspirant

ChimpsInTies wrote:
What a pain.

I got my 2 new 2TB drives but I'd also borrowed a 1TB external USB drive from work so over the last couple of days I copied all the important stuff off (basically everything) onto that over the network. It took about 36 hours in total.

Tonight I stuck both the 2TB drives in the Stora and hit the configure button in the web interface. It now wants 4 hours to configure the drives in to RAID 1 :eek: These are just 2 blank drives, what's to configure. Now I'm going to have to wait til tomorrow until I can even start the laborious process of copying it all back over. Goodness knows how long that'll take. :rolleyes:

Oh well, we're on the way now at least.

Actually I say they're 2TB drives. I've only got 1.8TB available. What a rip off. that's a whole 200GB I've been mis-sold. :mad:

just start the copy.. it will be fine
Message 9 of 11
Hitokiri
Aspirant

In the manual it says.

Installing a Disk
NETGEAR Stora comes with two bays that can accommodate SATA disks. The first bay is
the primary storage disk, and the second can be set up as a mirrored backup for your primary
disk.
WARNING!
Be sure that Stora power cord is unplugged before adding or
removing the disks. Failure to observe this precaution could
render your disks useless. To safely eject a disk, see Figure 16.
The following instructions explain how to set up and install a single drive. If you purchased a
Stora with only one installed drive, and you want to add a second drive, carefully repeat these
same instructions.
To Install a Disk
1. Unplug the power cord.
2. Remove front cover to add or remove a hard drive.
3. Unlock the drive.
A lever on the back on the unit will release the
hard drive from the locked position. See
4. Insert the hard disk.
a. The label must face the outside of the unit.
b. Slide the disk into place in either slot.
c. Lock the drive in place and close the cover.
The green LED on the front of Stora will blink continuously until the installed drive build process is complete.
d. A pop up window will appear asking if you want to use the disk for “max capacity” or
“max protection”.
• RAID1 will maximize your protection.
• JBOD will maximize your capacity.
See “RAID1” on page 108 and “JBOD” on page 109 for details about these options.
WARNING!
Stora formats hard drives differently than a computer does. Do not
swap hard drives between a Stora and a computer or your data will
be lost.

Another thing to remember is the HDD compatability list, not getting a drive on the list can cause problems like Windows or the Stora device it self not seeing the expansion.
I have experienced this my self as i ordered some HDD's that's not on the list over compatible drives.
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12109
So now i have ordered 2 x WD20EARX to expand my Stora.
I ordered 2 x Seagate Barracuda LP ST2000DL003 by accident and tried to install them in the Stora and they do appear to work but windows does not see the expansion and neither does the Stora it self where the avalible diskspace is shown it don't show.
It does show there's is 1.8 TB under "Disk Management"

I don't know if any of this is useful to you but well i hope you get it working.
Message 10 of 11
ChimpsInTies
Aspirant

Yeah I basically just followed the manual in the end.

Turned it off,
Stuck both drives in
Set them to be RAID 1
Let it set them up.
Then stuck my 1TB USB drive in the front and used the web interface to copy all the stuff over. It was quite a bit quicker than doing it over the network. :cool:
All back up and running about now as if nothing happened. Except of course I've got an extra 1TB to play with 😄
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7