× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NetGear Stora isnt reliable!

Oniska
Aspirant

NetGear Stora isnt reliable!

Hi, For almost 1 year ago i bought an NetGear Stora because i had many important pictures on my computer and didnt want to loose it because it was pictures off my small kids thats more worth than money can buy.

So i uploaded my pictures and all went fine! So far so good
In the next months and so on everything looked good, and i was able to browse my pictures and videos of my kids and my wife and family pictures.

Today, me and my wife wanted to take a look at the "good old pictures" of my family and guess what happens:

Some .JPG pictures cant open (black screen)... so i thought i just download it because it could be something with the hipserv interface but no. Windows says "this is an empty" file or something like that. Then i take a look in some of my picture folders and they are empty!

NOW I GOT PISSED AND MAD! Some pictures is there, no problem, but i've lost almost 1-200 pictures of my vacation, and important wedding photos!

I tried reboot and everything and also got the "premium" membership but theres nowhere i can find a solution to recover these photos.

Please help me with this issue. I can buy 1000 more of storas but this is deffinetely the last time because i am not trusting it anymore, but right now i just want my pictures back.

Is there anyone who can help me? :(:mad:
Message 1 of 22
Jay67A
Novice

Maybe something similar happened to me. Yesterday I was browsing through my picture folders on Stora and quite a few of them were empty. I was thinking that maybe something had happened while I copied those to Stora as I am not 100% sure if I ever tried opening those folders before. But after your message, it could be that they were lost in Stora. Luckily I still have those pictures on my other hard disks as well.

Hopefully you will get your pictures restored somehow. But the lesson to be learned is, that you should never have your important files only on one location. You need to have multiple backups of those on different hard disks or burned to DVDs. Because anything can happen, even with other products than Stora.
Message 2 of 22
sillyname
Aspirant

How were the files first transferred to Stora?
Can you view these files using windows explorer or finder if you're using a mac?
Usually these files are there and are just not visible using the webUI.
Message 3 of 22
Oniska
Aspirant

Jay67A --> Lesson is learned hardly! I bought this product to keep simple files as pictures and vids of the family. I even have the premium subscription because i was happy with the product. But it seems like that the device cant even hold pictures safe. So what can i use a NAS for?

sillyname --> It was transfered by ftp locally i think. I have viewed these pictures before, but now they are corrupt or missing or invisible

Still awaiting axcentra support. I have provided them my username and pass to investigate but i dont think there will be a solution.

I will keep you updated
Message 4 of 22
Southkil
Aspirant

Just an aside, were you running your stora with one HD in or 2 HDD in RAID?

If you were just running your Stora with 1 HDD in and your are storing your important pictures on it, you are mad. The stora has a RAID function, I would have used it.

Hopefully the powers that be will be able to help you with your problems and restore your missing files.
Message 5 of 22
Oniska
Aspirant

Southkil wrote:
Just an aside, were you running your stora with one HD in or 2 HDD in RAID?

If you were just running your Stora with 1 HDD in and your are storing your important pictures on it, you are mad. The stora has a RAID function, I would have used it.

Hopefully the powers that be will be able to help you with your problems and restore your missing files.

I was running with 1 HD but i learned a lesson with this product. Its possible going on sale
Message 6 of 22
drewsky310
Aspirant

Are you accessing them through the web browser or ftp?

My files went missing only on the web browser, however when I accessed it on my mac (a mounted network drive) I found that all my files were still there. I just found the fix, or at least I hope. For whatever reason the folders I created and uploaded on the stora device, via ftp, gives me empty folders on the web browser. My way around that, is that I started creating folders on Stora directly and placing my files in them. My folders remained visible and my files started showing up in those stora created folders. A Pain in the @$$, but I am glad that I finally found a viable solution so I can network my files to my ipad and iphone.

Hope that helps.
Message 7 of 22
gulden
Aspirant

What a beautiful title for this thread! Couldn't but join the discussion. Actually I am not a Stora user anymore as of this very fine morning. After 4 months of waiting for the reply from a service center I got the word that my Stora can not be resurrected and my money was happily returned to me. What a bliss! Never, I strongly caution you here - NEVER buy this specific product of NETGEAR family... I wish somebody told me this earlier. Have a nice day, everyone!

P.S. the rest of their products is OK, but the subject of the discussion here = total failure
Message 8 of 22
randycw
Tutor

Amen to the unreliable Stora...

I only chose to fight with it for a few days. In those few days I discovered how unresponsive tech support was. So I took it back and spent $65 more to get a ReadyNAS Duo. MUCH better product!
Message 9 of 22
robyb
Aspirant

To set the record straight, the OP didn't lose any files, he just had some bad file permissions which we've straightened out.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 10 of 22
XBoNeSX
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo how can they get it right with that ? and Stora such a flop ? ... I have had same sort of problem where I will cut and paste on stora HD .. folder to folder (cut+paste) and it will lose connection or finish .. some files cut over and others didn't or still folders in old folder ... and I do have all my permission set to 775 through ftp server .. and did talk to support and he just said take it back to shop get refund ... he had no idea ... poor support .. poor hardware ... very flaky !
Message 11 of 22
Southkil
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
To set the record straight, the OP didn't lose any files, he just had some bad file permissions which we've straightened out.

Cheers,
Roby!

Ah, that's good news. At least he's been on and posted up his thanks and that his problem is sorted. :rolleyes:

Good work again robyb. :cool:

XBoNeSX wrote:
ReadyNAS Duo how can they get it right with that ? and Stora such a flop ? ... I have had same sort of problem where I will cut and paste on stora HD .. folder to folder (cut+paste) and it will lose connection or finish .. some files cut over and others didn't or still folders in old folder ... and I do have all my permission set to 775 through ftp server .. and did talk to support and he just said take it back to shop get refund ... he had no idea ... poor support .. poor hardware ... very flaky !

I'm confused. Are you tranferring files via explorer or via ftp? and are the files being moved round on the stora itself, ie not pc to stora transfer?

If you're just moving folders/files around on the stora, just use the web GUI.

If this doesn't work, post up a more detailed account of what you are trying to do and what the stora does in reply.

cheers.
Message 12 of 22
suffie63
Aspirant

I noticed that stora has a problem with indexing new files that are accessed straight after an upload. The remedy that works for me is resetting the Stora before i go to bed. Next day all files are stored at (and accessable from) the place I stored them. Just cut and paste the files in a directory on stora works fine here (both XP and W7). Same solution works on indexing files on the WD HD Live hub which i use as mediaplayer.
Message 13 of 22
Oniska
Aspirant

UPDATE: There was 2 issues:

1. File permission: I used to transfer my files by FileZilla, and i think filezilla sometimes "f*cks up in the permissions when transferring too many pictures" I tried testing with transfering with another FTP client and i didnt have the issue anymore

2. Thumbnail view was screwed pretty much. I Couldnt see many of my pictures and this was corrected by: Deleting the thumbnail files and it generates it self again

Once more: The issue has been solved with the support, untill i got my issue fixed i was scared of loosing my files. If i didnt find this forum i think i had lost all my files actually with formating the harddrive or something like that. But we sorted it out

gulden: You didn't like the subject, do you want a Café latte too?
Message 14 of 22
randycw
Tutor

XBoNeSX wrote:
ReadyNAS Duo how can they get it right with that ? and Stora such a flop ?

NetGear didn't get the ReadyNAS right. They bought the ReadyNAS line from another company, Infrant. So the ReadyNAS line already had solid hardware/software, but it also had a great community with add-ons and plug-ins.

Therefore when uisng a ReadyNAS I don't have to count on the crummy support from NetGear, or the lone ranger support from robyb.

Don't get me too wrong here, as I think robyb is perhaps single-handedly keeping the Stora afloat. From these forums it appears it is solely through his efforts that these little devices actually work for most people. HOWEVER, I don't want to have to rely on a single person to get help AND I really don't like the idea of a unknown person having my login credentials to all of my files. Just kinda feels like a really poor way to go about things to me.

Hope that helps with why ReadyNAS (not originally a NetGear product with community support) and Stora (a NetGear beta product with a single person support) are not really comparable products even though they are sold through the same company.
Message 15 of 22
yogayogi
Aspirant

"Netgear Stora isn't reliable".

Really??

Oniska wrote:
. . . I used to transfer my files by FileZilla, and i think filezilla sometimes "f*cks up in the permissions when transferring too many pictures" I tried testing with transfering with another FTP client and i didnt have the issue anymore . . .

In my experience (I have two storas, each 4Tb & mirrored one to the other) - I find Storas do a great job & I love them to bits. Any problems I came across were not actually down to the Stora but down to Windows. (Indeed, the reason I changed from external USB drives to Stora was Micros**t losing/corrupting data due to its stubborn insistence on delayed file & mft writes, regardless of its settings.)

OR "problems" down to my newbie inexperience/ignorance of NAS units - they are NOT PCs and naturally have different foibles to PCs. You have to learn how to use new stuff.

Reading some of the threads on the forum (including this one) I guess many of the difficulties & problems others users experience may also be unfairly blamed on the stora - as Oniska admits here. People are human.

Support staff are not magicians (& are usually under-resourced): maybe they do a lousy job for you . . . but just maybe you gave them lousy info to work with? Or the problem was with an external programme anyway, such as Filezilla or (crap*y) Windows?

People are quick to blame & complain. But how often do people bother to say "thanks" or "good job" to Roby & his colleagues? Huh?

My Storas do a great job for me: I'd buy more tomorrow.
I disagree that they are either inherantly unreliable or have poor functionality.

YY

I have no connection with Netgear or their people, save as a happy user of several Netgear products.
Message 16 of 22
rsinj
Guide

yogi - absolutely nothing wrong with being happy with your Stora. However, it is certifiable that the thing has issues and roby will readily admit that to you. I've personally been given the "bad nand blocks" excuse so many times now that I'm sick of it.

My Stora does absolutely nothing 99% of the time other than power up at 9AM and down at 9PM with powertimer. Since my amber light situation a month ago there has been absolutely no activity on it other than the power up/down. You want to tell me it's a Microsoft problem that it went blue flashing with amber HDD lights again yesterday? I don't think so.

I agree with the person who started this thread.

I also bought a comparable competitor's product after my December amber lights (in addition to still running my Stora and ReadyNAS) and it's significantly better in functionality, robustness/stability (thus far), and user/admin friendliness.

I'll be the first to stand up and thank roby because he is a support God and no doubt goes out of his way in helping others here. Even with all the praise I'm willing to give him, that does not diminish the shortcomings of this product as far as it's robustness. I (as Netgear) look at the product as the physical hardware and the firmware. It is clear that the firmware is killing this product and needs to be fixed - it's well over a year that the opportunity has been there, yet the issues remain.

I hope you continue to have a great experience with your Stora.
Message 17 of 22
yogayogi
Aspirant

Hi Howard,
maybe I'm mistaken, but I understood the stora's "standing" power consumption to be negligible? Certainly the drives in mine only spin when I'm actually using them*.

Like light bulbs, computer equipment is most likely to fail when being powered up. If "standing" is near nil, why stress equipment by cycling it daily?
In short, why use the "power timer"? Especially if others suggest there may be issues with it. Save power by boiling one pot of coffee less a year instead.

Just because I trust my Storas, doesn't mean I trust (for example) the Desktop Mirror!

In the same way that I like Epson printers - but not their software.
regards
YY

* I've blocked my storas from all update/maintenance/other auto-initiated actions.
Message 18 of 22
XBoNeSX
Aspirant

Southkil wrote:
Ah, that's good news. At least he's been on and posted up his thanks and that his problem is sorted. :rolleyes:

Good work again robyb. :cool:

I'm confused. Are you tranferring files via explorer or via ftp? and are the files being moved round on the stora itself, ie not pc to stora transfer?

If you're just moving folders/files around on the stora, just use the web GUI.

If this doesn't work, post up a more detailed account of what you are trying to do and what the stora does in reply.

cheers.

I tried transfers via explorer and via ftp ... and yes folders on stora HD just moving folder to folder .. tried web GUI always comes up with error at end lost connection or some crap ... explain to me why PC to PC lan transfers i have no issues at all but when do PC to Stora lan transfer issues galore ? if there issue windows or routers/modems then my pc to pc lan transfer would have same issues ...
Message 19 of 22
Aslanoglu
Aspirant

I am considering replacing my Stora with a ReadyNAS too, but I would like to know if I can swap my hdd from STora to ReadyNAS without a hassle. For: my desktop computer can't read the hdd when I pull it out of the Stora and plug it in the computer.
Message 20 of 22
rsinj
Guide

Aslanoglu wrote:
I am considering replacing my Stora with a ReadyNAS too, but I would like to know if I can swap my hdd from STora to ReadyNAS without a hassle. For: my desktop computer can't read the hdd when I pull it out of the Stora and plug it in the computer.

I would say that it is most likely not a possibility.

If you have a mirrored set of drives, take one out, put into the ReadyNAS and copy from the Stora to the ReadyNAS. When done, take the second drive from the Stora and put into the ReadyNAS and it will mirror from the first drive. When completed, then box up your Stora and return.

If you don't have a spare drive or two, then you're going to have to find a different location to put the data from the Stora as an intermediary.
Message 21 of 22
mirabilius
Aspirant

robyb wrote:

Cheers,
Roby!

Hi,

I think the same has happened to me... How to fix bad file permissions? Is it better to do it from snow leopard, windows 7 or ubuntu?

thx
M.
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7