× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Stora Cannot Registration

KarlChang
Tutor

Netgear Stora Cannot Registration

Since the announcement of www.mystora.com end of service.
Many Stora became bricks.!!

I think it is understandable that cannot access stora from www.mystora.com but reset tools (for reset passowrd) and setup your factory default stora also are not available.

This means that if you do below
1. Use reset tools (stora software) to reset passowrd
2. Or reset factory default by reset button.
The stora will became brick, because those password setting will need www.mystora.com

In this forum you can see that many people have the same problem.

I reset passowrd today, change password fail becuase Stora cannot reach www.mystora.com
So I try reset factory default, but StoraSetup.exe Configuration Wizard cannot continue becuase Stora cannot reach www.mystora.com

Does anyone know how stora setup skips www.mystora.com so that I can create an account normally and continue to use my stora in the local network?
Or is there a work around method?
Or use speical web address to work around ?
(Currenly is http://192.168.1.2/admin/wizards/setup/wrapper)
Or is it possible to use ssh account (root / password?) On a new stora WITHOUT any account?

If your stora works in local network, DON'T RESET IT.

Thanks

Model: MS2120|Media Server|EOL
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
sdnick484
Guide

Re: Netgear Stora Cannot Registration

Thank you for this post! I was able to get the TFTP option working today, but I will say it's not for the feint of heart. I'm going to put the steps below, but I will warn you that if you're not very familiar with Linux, it may be difficult to use.

1. On a Linux system, ensure you have tftp-hpa, nfs-utils, wireshark, & u-boot-tools installed.

2. Grab a rootfs image from here (link to Dropbox: Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2)

3. Extract the root image at: /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/

4. Create a stora uImage using the steps in step 2 (I used the from the rootfs date "Updated 25 Aug 2019" - this is where u-boot-tools comes into play)

5. Set up tftp to server that uImage file (i used tftpd, but inetd/xinetd could also work)

6. Set up NFS to export the location in step 3; my exportfs looks like: /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/ 10.0.0.0/8(rw,sync,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide)

7. Configure nfs-utils to use nfsv2 and UDP (they're no longer used by default). My nfsd parameters are "-u -V 2"

8. Configure your ethernet port to use 10.0.0.1 and connect a cable from it to the Stora

9. Fire up wireshark, unplug the stora, press and hold the reset with a paperclip, and power it back on

10. When you see the tftp traffic, you can release

11. If you did the above right, you should be able to log in after a couple minutes via ssh root@10.x.x.x with the password root (where 10.x.x.x is the IP of the stora which seems random).

12. Mount the Stora's rootfs via: ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 2 -O 2048 && mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /mnt/

13. Place your authorized keys in /mnt/root/.ssh and ensure permissions are correct (700 for .ssh) and enable root ssh in /mnt/etc/ssh/sshd_config

14. If all has gone well, you should be able to reboot and get back into your stora via root ssh keys.

My previous reply seems to have disappeared, so I'm going to try to post it again:

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 23

All Replies
Gitsov
Virtuoso

I am still exploring the code for stable solution how to make it registered without Stora server. Of course mine is getting perfectly registered by restoring archive with registration data, via script created in the past. But now it's not an option for those who ignored my advices in the past, and those who didn't had problems and don't know about that script. Because archive contains my personal data inside, I won't share it. Probably I will rework it to get registration data from text files placed on flash drive..
Message 2 of 23
KarlChang
Tutor

Thank Gitsov for your reply
I have tried to use the ROOT permission to start the SAMBA function,
But all failed

I refer to the information of OpenStora, he has 4 ways to get ROOT

1. Easy Root Access
This is a factory default STORA. It does not have any accounts, so I cannot use this method.

2. Root Access Via Serial Console
This is a factory default STORA. It does not have any accounts, so I cannot use this method.

3. Root Access Via TFTP
Alternates.tar.bz2 has lost the link. I can't download

4. Root Access via TelnetEnabled
After I used the method, the telnet connection was established, but the telnet server in STORA did not reply to any prompt.

Maybe I will try more something.
I will keep following your posts.

Thank you

Message 3 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

Thank you for this post! I was able to get the TFTP option working today, but I will say it's not for the feint of heart. I'm going to put the steps below, but I will warn you that if you're not very familiar with Linux, it may be difficult to use.

1. On a Linux system, ensure you have tftp-hpa, nfs-utils, wireshark, & u-boot-tools installed.

2. Grab a rootfs image from here (link to Dropbox: Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2)

3. Extract the root image at: /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/

4. Create a stora uImage using the steps in step 2 (I used the from the rootfs date "Updated 25 Aug 2019" - this is where u-boot-tools comes into play)

5. Set up tftp to server that uImage file (i used tftpd, but inetd/xinetd could also work)

6. Set up NFS to export the location in step 3; my exportfs looks like: /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/ 10.0.0.0/8(rw,sync,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide)

7. Configure nfs-utils to use nfsv2 and UDP (they're no longer used by default). My nfsd parameters are "-u -V 2"

8. Configure your ethernet port to use 10.0.0.1 and connect a cable from it to the Stora

9. Fire up wireshark, unplug the stora, press and hold the reset with a paperclip, and power it back on

10. When you see the tftp traffic, you can release

11. If you did the above right, you should be able to log in after a couple minutes via ssh root@10.x.x.x with the password root (where 10.x.x.x is the IP of the stora which seems random).

12. Mount the Stora's rootfs via: ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 2 -O 2048 && mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 /mnt/

13. Place your authorized keys in /mnt/root/.ssh and ensure permissions are correct (700 for .ssh) and enable root ssh in /mnt/etc/ssh/sshd_config

14. If all has gone well, you should be able to reboot and get back into your stora via root ssh keys.

My previous reply seems to have disappeared, so I'm going to try to post it again:

Message 4 of 23
KarlChang
Tutor

Thank you for the information
The file you mentioned Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
Is it the following?
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

I'll try your method late.

Thanks

Model: MS2000|Media Server|EOL
Message 5 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

HI Gitsov, i bought a used Netgear Stora recently. What i didnt know was that it's a brick that cant be configured any more.
Meaby it would be possible for you to share the archive registration files witch changed credentials?
Any other options to use this device? Minę is factory reseted 😕
Message 6 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

sdnick484 what is than possible to do with the stora?
Message 7 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

Hi sdnick484 can you advise how to do step: 4. Create a stora uImage using the steps in step 2 (I used the from the rootfs date "Updated 25 Aug 2019" - this is where u-boot-tools comes into play)

of Your instruction? I got stuck on that

Message 8 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

@KarlChang wrote:

Thank you for the information 
The file you mentioned Debian-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
Is it the following?
https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

I'll try your method late.

Thanks

Sorry, my original post had linked URLs, but when I reposted, they didn't come back.  Yes, that's where I got the tar, and instructions are in that thread.

Message 9 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

@ogiek wrote:

Hi sdnick484 can you advise how to do step: 4. Create a stora uImage using the steps in step 2 (I used the from the rootfs date "Updated 25 Aug 2019" - this is where u-boot-tools comes into play)

of Your instruction? I got stuck on that

Head here, scroll down to where it says, "Updated 25 Aug 2019:", and follow the insturctions (except use the netgear-stora image instead).  They should basically be:

cp -a zImage-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1  zImage.fdt
cat dts/kirkwood-netgear_stora_ms2000.dtb   >> zImage.fdt
mv uImage uImage.orig
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n Linux-5.2.9-kirkwood-tld-1 -d zImage.fdt  uImage
sync

To answer your previous question, this essentially gets you to a working Stora that's in the same state as the Open Stora project (meaning you can log in via ssh, export shares via NFS or Samba, etc.  I haven't tried to see if the browser base stuff works, but then again, I literally never used those features.  You can create users, install packages from the repo mentioned in the open stora documentation (now on Github), etc.  Theoretically, you could update uboot and install Debian (or another Linux), but I wouldn't advocate that without a physical cosole interface (JTAG, etc.).  

Message 10 of 23
KarlChang
Tutor

Hi sdnick484,
I followed the above steps and successfully executed TFTP and NFS server on ubuntu.
I use mkimage to make a Stora uImage and into tftp directory.
I started NFS V2 support and config /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs in exports file.

When I press reset to connect Stora power
1. I can see the complete transfer uImage file in TFTP  on wireshark
2. I can see that NFS is properly connected and accessing files on wireshark
3. I can ping to Stora.

But when I try ssh root@10.X.X.X it fails

$ ssh root@10.216.106.176
ssh: connect to host 10.216.106.176 port 22: Connection refused

I check Wireshark and see that TCP port 22 is not enabled, so Stora reply TCP RST ACK for SSH request.
It seems that my SSH service is not enabled in stora.

I am not sure what happened, any suggestions are welcome

Message 11 of 23
KarlChang
Tutor

I found the problem, I missed the setting of fstab
/mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/etc/fstab

10.0.0.1:/mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs / nfs nfsvers=3,wsize=2048,tcp 0 0

Now that I have root permission in factory default stora, I will continue to config SAMBA manually.

Thank you for your support

Message 12 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

Awesome, yeah, I made a similar mistake (you may have seen my thread on that forum). Meant to add that as a step here. Glad it worked out!
Message 13 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

Sorry, Im not that advanced in LInux ;(.

I cant understand the image creation process. Is it:

Download: linux-5.6.5-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2 and extract in mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs

Inside I can see:

• config-5.6.5-kikrwood-tld-1
    linux-5.6.5-kirkwood-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2
    linux-5.6.5-kirkwood-tld-1.patch
    linux-dtb-5.6.5-kirkwood-tld-1.tar
    linux-headers-5.6.5-kirkwood-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
    linux-image-5.6.5-kirkwood-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
    zImage-5.6.5-kikrwood-tld-1
    zImage.fdt

Wopuld You be so knd to decribe it in more details?

Message 14 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

Sorry, but if you don't know Linux well, you are going to struggle with this process. First you need to go back and download the file I specified in the post (the rootfs 5.2.9 one, not the 5.6 version you grabbed which is just a newer kernel). When you extract that tarball , the files you need should be in the /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/boot directory. Once the file is created, you should set your TFTP directory to that location.
Message 15 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm not mastering Linux, still I'm patient;-). After some try and error I managed to get it working. There was some problem with tftpd-hpa and a original hint from open stora helped me:

tftpd-hpa seems to be a bit on the buggy side and if you get an 'Error1: File not found error' then it's highly likely that the daemon has ignored your preference for the root directory and is looking its default directory which is /var/lib/tftpboot. Putting the uImage file in there will likely solve your problem.

After moving the uImage over there it started working. I can see the trafic in wireshark. However i'm now geting the same error that was mentioned above by KarlChang: connection refused.

Can You pls advice me if I have to make this change of /mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs/etc/fstab

10.0.0.1:/mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs / nfs nfsvers=3,wsize=2048,tcp 0 0 

BEFORE i make the uImage? 

Message 16 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

Turns out the image is loaded from the 

/mnt/Axentra/marvell.nfs.rootfs

Can You explain where the uImage schould be located? Is it boot folder? 

Message 17 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

The fstab change and the uImage creation are indpendent of each other (so timing of the fstab update doesn't matter).  You do need to have fstab updated before you start the transfer or the NFS root won't occur.  The fstab file in Linux tells the system what device(s) and file systems to use for mount points (as well as other settings). The rootfs image expects to be ran locally so it's set up by default to use a local ext3 fiel system; all you need to do is change that to expect NFS.  For reference, my fstab simply looks like:

LABEL=rootfs    /               nfs noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
tmpfs          /tmp            tmpfs   defaults          0       0

They other key consideration that needs to be in place is that NFS needs to be set up and working properly on your host system.  You need to ensure it's serving UDP and running NFSv2 protocol.  How that's configured varies by Linux distro and chances are you're not running that I am (Gentoo) so I can't provide exact steps.  In general what you need to do is ensure rpc.nfsd is passing the "-u -V 2" flags (generally configured in some sort of conf file in your host system's /etc.

Message 18 of 23
ogiek
Aspirant

Hi, thanks to Your help i managed to login to my stora as a root.

Can You please give me some advices about the last steps?

How to check the permissions?

what line is to be changed in sshd_config?

Should I connect with: ssh root@IP_ADRES_OF_STORA ?

Did You figure out how to make the stora to allow the web interface localy? If there is access to filesystem than probably it's possible to manualy edit some config files...?

Message 19 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

So placing your authorized keys and allowing root ssh login allows you to log into the stora when it boots normally (as opposed to using the NFS root).  Once that's done you can manually configure Samba (Windows shares), NFS, web servers, etc.  I don't use the default stora web interface at all so I haven't bothered to try and figure out how to enable local login through it.

To generate a ssh key, just do a google search (there's tons of how-tos out there).  You generate your keys on your main PC (not your Stora); when done properly, it will create a sub directory in your home directory (~) called .ssh.  Within ~/.ssh, there will be at least two files, generally called id_rsa and id_rsa.pub.  What you want to do is transfer the id_rsa.pub from your main PC to a file called /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on the stora (see note below, you want this on Stora's actual root, not the NFS one).  The file is exactly one line so be careful if you copy-paste it.  You need to also ensure the permissions of /root/.ssh on the stora are 700.  To enable root login, you'll want to edit the sshd_config file on the stora and add the line "PermitRootLogin yes". 

NOTE: Please remember you want to be doing these steps on the stora file system, not on the NFS one you're sharing.  If you mounted them on /mnt (step 12), then the relevant paths under NFS root will be: /mnt/root/.ssh and /mnt/etc/ssh/sshd_config.  

As far as how to configure Samba shares or NFS, again, just Google any how-tos out there.  I would recommend doing that under Stora's base OS and not the NFS root one unless you plan to always boot off that or plan to make that your permanent OS (I wouldn't advocate that without a JTAG or some other way to view the console).

Message 20 of 23
hlfpete
Aspirant

Hi, can anyone please help. I have a Stora box Ms2000 since 2011 and yesterday for some reason i cannot access my files through windows 10. It prompts for a passowrd and it does not get recognised. I know it s the correct password. HELP Needed. 

Thanks in advcanced. 

Peter 

Message 21 of 23
sdnick484
Guide

I believe Windows 10 may have disable support for older versions of Windows shares which Stora uses. I suggest googling how to, "Enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"
Message 22 of 23
hlfpete
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

Enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support - They are already enabled. 

The problem is that it cant validate my login details. Was working fine till the other day until we had to turn off the power to the house. once we had power and evrything got turned on again, the stora box kept on asking for login detauis evrytime i tried to access the drive though windows exploerer. 

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7