× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Stora MS2110 SMBv1

flattened
Apprentice

Netgear Stora MS2110 SMBv1

We have had to disable SMBv1 on our WIndows 2008 Server. We can no longer access the Netgear Stora MS2110 via WIndows Explorer. Is there a way of confirming whether these Storas can be set to use SMB2 & above?

Thanks,

Andy

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
flattened
Apprentice

Thankyou very much for this. I can also conform that after reverting the SMB change on the server it can see the NAS again. Time for a new NAS....

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you check the samba version installed on it you could easily verify it.

Stora firmware v2.3.2 had samba 3.0.28.

Personally I doubt the Stora would have a new enough version of samba to support SMBv2. Experimental support was added in samba 3.5 but you'd really want to be using a newer samba series than that.

ReadyNAS OS6 currently uses the samba 4.4 series.

Message 2 of 4
flattened
Apprentice

Thankyou very much for this. I can also conform that after reverting the SMB change on the server it can see the NAS again. Time for a new NAS....

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are some good suggestions:

@douglas_cheung wrote:

RN212: 2-bay.  Consumer personal data storage.  2x GbE.  Quad core ARM Cortex 15

RN214: 4-bay.  Consumer personal data storage.  2x GbE.  Quad core ARM Cortex 15

RN422: 2-bay: Business data storage.  2x GbE.  Dual core Atom C3000

RN424: 4-bay: Business data storage.  2x GbE.  Dual core Atom C3000

The RN420s are a bit pricy.  But they are hot!

If you do a lot of Plex, there are RN520s and RN620x to consider.  They are great for people who are nuts about video.

The world has changed quite bit since the Stora days.  (I don't remember if Amazon existed in 2009.)  Now, you can sync your photo from your iPhone to Amazon photo (unlimited if you have Prime), and then sync your Amazon photo to your ReadyNAS.  You get all the facial recognition, place grouping, etc. goodies from Amazon photo, and the forever data storage in your own home.  The operation of ReadyNAS does not depend on any cloud service, though it has plenty of cool cloud based services available.

Check it out.

Doug

Hope this helps. I'd recommend if possible the RN422 (this was just released recently) and up for your use case. The RN520 and RN620 Series were released not that long ago as well and are a big step up again with much more powerful CPUs, one/two 10G ethernet port(s) depending on the model, and ECC RAM.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7