× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Folders or Files Visible

Dux
Guide
Guide

No Folders or Files Visible

I am not an expert user, so I bought a Stora thinking it was UPnP and Dlna compatible, ie. that I could stream videos and photos to all the TV sets on my home network. After installing it and copying some files to the family folders, it worked for about a week, although it took a very long time for the files to show up in the directories. Then I uploaded some music and a lot more photos and videos, waited a week, but nothing. In fact all the folders I had seen previously dissappeared as well. I contacted the support team who took a week to post an answer to my problem except that they gave me a solution to fixing a Western Digital, something I don't own and know nothing about, so that was a meaningless wait for nothing. I tried googling my problem and came across a lot of people with the same problem. I have tried the Self Diagnostic and Repair tool, still nothing. I have downloaded the latest software updates till today 10th March 2012. I can see all the files and folders with my computer and my Iphone, but not on any of TV sets, all of which play files from any computer on the network and from a USB connected device. They just cannot read any files in the folders created by Stora and the message I receive is that "there are no items to display." I am not a computer programmer I am a simple home user who imagined that this device would be able to stream media on my home network.

My question is "Can this device stream media to UPnP and DLNA devices? Do you have to be a computer geek to make it work? Is it being sold under false pretences? Has anyone been able to use it to stream media and if so is there a simple solution?" I need to find an answer quickly because I can still take it back to the store and get a full refund if the answer is that this thing does not work for media streaming as advertised.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 6
hoppo1
Tutor

Works fine for me. I stream to PS3 and Seagate goflex tv. I have everything structured and share folders independently not just one big share. I have around 1tb streamed this way.
Message 2 of 6
Dux
Guide
Guide

I will try sharing independantly, but I dont think it will make any difference. Tried the diagnostic, tried the reset, everytime a different set of folders appears, always incomplete. I have about 1Tb saved mirrored on two 2Tb drives. Tried moving folders around, makes no difference. There is no logic, different folders appear each time. Not sure what the criteria are to make all the folders appear. Think I am going to give up and take it back to the store
Message 3 of 6
hoppo1
Tutor

Try sharing small amounts to begin with like a folder with about 20 films or something in see if that works. if so add more. You need to give the stora change to build its indexes as well so if adding a lot let it run over night.
Message 4 of 6
Dux
Guide
Guide

Nothing happened. I tried resetting it using the disc. I tried reflashing it using some advice in the forum. Still the same folders, half of them missing. I guess this is not for me. I am going to get a Windows 7 computer and put my drives into that. This is just too much hassle to work. I have now been at it for over a month trying to get it to work. It will not refresh the directories just displays the same old directories with the other half missing. I am not sure who is supposed to use this thing. It is not for amateurs who just want to stream media to their tv and back up their information thats for sure. Its going back to the store tomorrow.
Message 5 of 6
hoppo1
Tutor

Personally I would say you have a file or files that the stora can't index but the only way you'll find out is by taking some time and figuring out where it's stopping and removing that folder / files from the stora and trying again. Create a new folder share it and copy them over to the new folder a bit at a time see when it stops but if its not for you then send it back and get something else.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7