× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAID1 Single Disk (Disk 2 disappears)

magicmateo
Follower

RAID1 Single Disk (Disk 2 disappears)

Hi,

I had to factory reset the stora.

After reconfiguring it, I check the status on Disk Management.

Disk 1 was in Raid 1
Disk 2 needed to be reconfigured

I reconfigured disk2 in Raid1...the Stora calculates % and time

Then disk 2 disappears and I have now the following display :

I restarted the stora...same story...disk2 disappeared again

However, on Stora front face, both Disk 1 and Disk 2 LEDs are blinking. I can also access my data.

Is it a display problem on the Stora web config interface ? Shall I wait and see ? Or shall I try to format disk 2 and reconfigure again in RAID 1 ?

NB : Both disks are identical : same brand, model, capacity

Many thanks.

Mat
Message 1 of 68
LeeC22
Aspirant

My Stora took close to 5 hours before it had setup my second disk, how long did you wait? Both drive lights were blinking during the configuration on mine, for the whole process. This was with 2 x 2 TB drives, so smaller drives may be quicker.
Message 2 of 68
brubakers
Aspirant

hi!have you found a solution? mine dessapears when i reboot, then i switch off the stora, take hd out of the case and then i get it inside again, then i switch on and is dettected again but stora detects it as a new hd so i have to recover the raid.when it finish if i power off the unit every thing starts over again, it gets no detection, then i have to re configure the unit.......
Message 3 of 68
AlexWhite
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, any info on why this could be happening?
Message 4 of 68
lemans1
Novice

AlexWhite wrote:
I'm having the same problem, any info on why this could be happening?

Same for me. I have 2 2Tb Seagates. The ones that are supposed to be compatible! Every few days I loose disk 2. I have to reboot and re-configure the disk and rebuild the RAID so that both disks are mirrored. This is driving me nuts as it takes 5 hours plus to rebuild each time. Its a good job I haven't gone for the JBOD options and lost half my data.
Message 5 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

This has also just started happening to me after updating to 2.6

I found my stora with drive 2 showing a red led and stora reported a dead drive. I restarted and the drive was said to be alive again. I went in to stora web interface and clicked option for RAID1 and stora said it was rebuilding with some initial activity on both disks. Then after about 5 mins drive 2 gives up and stora web says that there is only one disk present even through there is a static green light on bay 2.

Is my drive dead or is stora having a fit?

I can still access all data but dont appear to have RAID1
Message 6 of 68
lemans1
Novice

Just happened to me again this morning. Always disk 2. I am going to swap them round to determine if it is actually disk 2 playing up or the NAS.:mad:
Message 7 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

hi lemans, any luck with swapping the drives?
Message 8 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

has anyone got any suggestions? I have no idea how to back up my data. I may as well get rid of the stora if it wont back up as this was the whole point of the device.
Message 9 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

Would.it be worth reflashing the stora?
Should i try formatting the second disc?

Please please i.need.some help.with this
Message 10 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

c

Someone anyone. Can you help?
Message 11 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

update:

I reflashed the stora with single drive in. This was not as easy as it sounds as stora refused to allow me to make the same user accounts - i had to make a new account and then swap to the old account through preferences - long story short I now have my data back and 1 working drive.

I popped the second drive in. Stora asked me how I wanted it configured. I did raid 1 and stora started copying content. By the time I went to bed the web UI said 57% complete and both hdd green lights blinking

woke up this morning and web UI says that I have a single disk in Raid (stora was on the whole time so no restart). Restarted to see if this would fix it but no joy!!!

I really am starting to get fed up with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 12 of 68
slattoz
Novice

:mad:

Me too.... not much good having a mirror that doesn't work!

Disk two always disappears - I got an email first time from the stora but since then I've had 3 disappearings resulting in three separate rebuilds of the mirror (which take 10hrs) and I haven't been notified at all. Worrying that my data isn't safe.

Running full diagnostics on the disk 2 at the moment but after reading this thread don't hold hope for a disk problem.

If this doesn't fix it I'll just sell the silly thing on ebay and get another brand.
Message 13 of 68
bastialex0825
Novice

Are you guys running on the latest 2.6 firmware?
Message 14 of 68
slattoz
Novice

I wasn't but have just upgraded - will see if that solves teh problem and report back in a few days.
Message 15 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

Yes actually upgrading to 2.6 seemed to be the thing that caused the problem. I have reflashed but there does not seem to be an option to roll back
Message 16 of 68
slattoz
Novice

2.6 hasn't solved anything for me. Mirror was rebuilt overnight and this morning there is only one disk showing.

Normally at this point a restart will show the second disk and give me the option to reconfigure it into a RAID.

Over it.... Netgear haven't had much to say on this one and the thread is quite old.

Time to ebay it.
Message 17 of 68
drdavepier
Tutor

I am thinking mine might have to go in the bin too. I have emailed netgear support multiple times and have given up. This forum was my last hope and so far no solution.
Message 18 of 68
mrsqueezy
Aspirant

After suffering the drive activity issue, I had a couples of weeks of smooth running after updating to 2.6. The power up and down feature caused me a few issues (orange lights etc) so I disabled that.

The stora has been on since then (around 2 days). This morning I received an email telling me their had been an error. Unfortunately now my second raid 1 drive has disappeared from disk management.

The stora appears to be still functioning - however I would prefer to have the security of a full Raid 1...

I have 2 x 2TB Samsung F4 - Brand new and have the new firmware so its unlikely to be a drive issue.

I love the stora when it works - but it has caused me nothing but trouble. I've only had it since october...

Mr Squeezy
Message 19 of 68
lemans1
Novice

drdavepier wrote:
hi lemans, any luck with swapping the drives?

Not yet. I can't keep two drives working long enough to complete a swap. Have to keep rebuilding the raid to get the data on the second disk. I keep the Stora switched off when not backing up. but it still sometimes loses the second disk when booting up. As I type this I am waiting (5 hours) for the rebuild. Only 4.5 hours to go!
Message 20 of 68
hoylegj
Novice

looks like you all have the same problem, if you log in as root and run the command dmesg that will probably show one of your drives is not in the raid array. I can used them both no problem if I don't raid it i.e. set it up as 4TB, if your stora is new, please raise a fault in the netgear support, you have to registrer your self and drive but it you don't this will not get fixed. From what I have seen its a software issue on the stroa. Link it to Case RE: NETGEAR Online Case Submission Case #17298442. This is really poor this problem has been happening for a year plus if I'm reading the forum correctly.

MAKE SURE YOU LOG A CALL

Will update if I get any answers

In the startup mine reports
UBI: data offset: 4096
UBI warning: ubi_eba_init_scan: cannot reserve enough PEBs for bad PEB handling, reserved 19, need 38
UBI: attached mtd2 to ubi0

then at about 42/43% of the rsysc I get load and loads of
ruction e1043090 at [<40387a0c>]
Unhandled fault: alignment exception (0x801) at 0x464c457f
Alignment trap: not handling swp instruction
Alignment trap: not handling instruction e1043090 at [<40387a0c>]
Message 21 of 68
hoylegj
Novice

magicmateo wrote:
Hi,

I had to factory reset the stora.

After reconfiguring it, I check the status on Disk Management.

Disk 1 was in Raid 1
Disk 2 needed to be reconfigured

I reconfigured disk2 in Raid1...the Stora calculates % and time

Then disk 2 disappears and I have now the following display :

I restarted the stora...same story...disk2 disappeared again

However, on Stora front face, both Disk 1 and Disk 2 LEDs are blinking. I can also access my data.

Is it a display problem on the Stora web config interface ? Shall I wait and see ? Or shall I try to format disk 2 and reconfigure again in RAID 1 ?

NB : Both disks are identical : same brand, model, capacity

Many thanks.

Mat

Did you find a solution ?
Thanks Geoff.
Message 22 of 68
mrsqueezy
Aspirant

Im trying to send a message to customer services - it says try again later - Will keep trying

mrsqueezy
Message 23 of 68
mrsqueezy
Aspirant

mrsqueezy wrote:
Im trying to send a message to customer services - it says try again later - Will keep trying

mrsqueezy

Tried support and they told me to use the self diagnostics - This got my hdd back tho... Rebuilding will take days (again)

I'm fairly sure the disk will hide again at some point...

mrsqueezy
Message 24 of 68
babbythekid
Aspirant

Hi

I am new to the forums, only joined as I am having the same problem, after upgrading to software v2.6

Both drives are now showing as green, however the disk status is showing as RAID 1 Single Disk.

However, if I turn the Stora off, and turn on again - which used to happen daily as I used the Power save option - then i always lose Disk 2 and have to go back into the stora application. Here, i then have to configure again as disk 2 is identified as a new disk and then have to rebuild the RAID.

This has to be a software problem, it only started after upgrading to v2.6.

Any suggestions would of course, be welcomed - PARTICULARLY FROM NETGEAR SUPPORT!!!

Thanks
Message 25 of 68
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7