× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re-flash your NetGear Stora

mjhamilton
Aspirant

Re: Re-flash your NetGear Stora

BeeKeeper wrote:
Like others I have had problems with my Stora. It was set up as a RAID 1 with two 2TB disks. I was unable to access it as it said my password was incorrect. After trying the suggestions given in this thread (hard resets etc) I reflashed following the procedure in the first post. However, during the configuration process it asked me if I wanted to set it up as RAID 0 or RAID 1. I was concerned data would be lost if I set it to RAID 1 so I switched everything off and removed one of the drives and went through the reflashing procedure again.

It is now working and I can see all the original data but of course I need to get it back to RAID 1 again.

The safest option is probably to copy all the data off the single disk in the Stora back onto the PC and then reflash again but this time with 2 disks in place and then set it up as RAID 1 during configuration. Copying all the data will be time consuming so can anyone confirm data will not be lost when it is configured for RAID 1?

On the other hand I think I will go for the safe option and then I will be able to tell you the answer!

just throw the second disk in and let it build the RAID set.. 🙂
Message 51 of 112
mjhamilton
Aspirant

Hyperbit wrote:
after webinterface error i tryd this steps here.

Now my stora led shows the following state.

PowerLED : OFF
HDD LED1 LED2 : ON OFF in TURNS (one is green the other orange, it changes every second)

what does that mean?

do you have at least one disk in a slot? and do you have it connected to the router with internet access and DHCP?

the sequence above is the firmware upload/flash process acknowledgement... the lights show that the device is pulling down the firmware from the NetGear site, once done it will be installed and the device will be factory fresh

The download can take 5-10 minutes so just leave it... once done the unit will reboot and you will see a solid blue light in the usual way
Message 52 of 112
BeeKeeper
Aspirant

mjhamilton wrote:
just throw the second disk in and let it build the RAID set.. 🙂

I don't think that will work now as it is set up to run on a single disk, not as a RAID 1.

It took most of today to transfer all the data back onto the PC. Why is it data transfer rates in the real world are far less than the published figures? All the drives are at less than 50% capacity and the Stora is connected to the PC via a 100 mb/s switch but the rates were only 10 mb/s at best.

I have now installed the second disk and have just finished reflashing the thing.

More to follow.
Message 53 of 112
BeeKeeper
Aspirant

Latest news is the second disk seems to have been added without problems and quite quickly too. There is much disk activity at the moment but I can still access all my data so I guess it is copying all the data across to the second disk.

As a brief summary, this is what I did.

Removed HDD2 - the one on the right when viewed from the front. The reason for doing this was if all else failed my data was still on this disk so I could have accessed it with the right utilities.

Reflashed the Stora as decribed in the very first post.

This went fine so I then copied everything off the singe disk Stora onto another drive on the PC. This was simply a back up.

Switched off the Stora and replaced HDD2.

Reflashed the Stora again and when prompted selected RAID1 setup.

Sit back and wonder what to do with the diskless Stora which is already in the post to me. ( I ordered a replacement before finding this thread.)
Message 54 of 112
tomsa
Aspirant

Roby
Who are You? are you connected to netgear in any way or are you just a smart guy with stora experience

Ive tried your advise for selfcheck, diagnostocs, hard reset etc. However im still in a situation with blinking blue and stedy green disk 1 ligths NO access to the stora at all

also when I use the link you provide with selfdiagnostics i get warning about the site, sertificate not valid? Is this a netgear site or scam??
Message 55 of 112
sbrokke
Aspirant

Hello all,

THis week I had to reflash my stora aswell and I followed the procedure as described in the forums. I removed my HDD's before reflashing and after the reflash I put them back in my stora. During installation I wasn't able to use the same name for the stora as before because the installer showed an error that this storaname was already registered. Therefor I used a different name. During installation it also asked me how the disks should be configured. I selected RAID1 because that's what I was using also before the reflash.
I created exactly the same account as before but unfortunatly all my data has gone and I have no clue how to get it back. In the mean time I also opened a case at netgear support so hopefully they will be able to help me. If one of you have any idea how to get my data back please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

As soon as I receive information from netgear support I will let all of you know.
Message 56 of 112
wide_inside
Aspirant

me too.

Tried the hard reset, but it wouldn't let me recreate the admin user name, as it said it already existed (lathough when I tried to log in using it it didn't exist). So had to go down this route, which did let me recreate the account, but has lost everything I had in the "My" bits. Really irritating, as I had about a hundred backed up DVDs there which will all need to be re-done if I can't find a way around it.

Any thoughts?
Message 57 of 112
Rachelle
Aspirant

Hi,
I went through the re-flash procedure and for the last 30 minutes the two drive lights have been alternating at flashing green and orange. Is this normal? I do have 2 drives in the stora box

Thank You
Message 58 of 112
Rachelle
Aspirant

My stora finally finished flashing ... however, it will not let me register with my "old" username telling me that I have to choose another .... do I need to keep my user name the same to save my files?
Message 59 of 112
mjhamilton
Aspirant

Rachelle wrote:
My stora finally finished flashing ... however, it will not let me register with my "old" username telling me that I have to choose another .... do I need to keep my user name the same to save my files?

yes you do need the same user name else you will not be able to access your files... create another name and then get the system up and running

once there try to create the original account inside the GUI and see what happens

Also make sure you did not select another language during the config process or it wont work.. you must use the same language that the system used to generate the user accounts and files
Message 60 of 112
DEVILoper
Novice

robyb wrote:

...The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed...

Dear Support and all,

Need your help.

Issue: Stora unable to get IP, re-flash or boot after update after 1 year of successful work.

Sequence of events (approx 20-25 Jan-2012):
0. Update Stora firmware to the latest version vie Web interface.
1. Got Premier account in order to get full features of Stora.
2. Installed iPhone Apps from hypserv. This app was working fine and I was able to browse Stora from outside.
3. On the Web interface in Settings Stora offers me a new update due to Premier account (I thought). Installed.
4. When back home DLNA server was working perfect with PS3 and iPhone and I was able to watch movie, listen music etc.
5. Next day I was not able to connect to Stora from outside nether via web nor from iPhone App.
6. When back home I've find that DNLS/UPnP server stopped (PS3 and iPhone cant see it) but FTP server is working fine.
7. I've rebooted Stora - nothing helped.
8. Tried Hards reset as per this Forum - no success.
9. FTP protocol dead - unable to see anything on Stora. When booting Stora the following LED's are blinking: POWER - blinks twice every second HDD1 - Green. HDD2 - off (no HDD2 installed).
10. Tried to re-flash the Stora via Web as per forum recommendation but after all steps done the following happens:
HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 blinks orange in turns - meaning that Stora is downloading the software... But is stays that way for 3.5 days... After that I've turned it off.
When booting Stora the following LED's are blinking: POWER - blinks twice every second HDD1 - Green. HDD2 - off (no HDD2 installed).

Please assist.
Regards, Dmitry.
Message 61 of 112
DEVILoper
Novice

Forgot to mention - Internet speed is good (700-900 KB/sec)
Message 62 of 112
winstonz
Tutor

What if you cannot remember the exact spelling/names used for some user accounts? Is that information lost?

Thanks for the steps provided above it solved the problem though this sadly has not lessened my newfound concerns about the reliability of the Stora. It worked very well for 1.5 years then suddenly nothing. For once, I thought Netgear built something which didn't mysteriously stopped working at random.
Message 63 of 112
ossienet
Aspirant

winstonz wrote:
What if you cannot remember the exact spelling/names used for some user accounts? Is that information lost?

I don't think so. If you set up an administrator account, you'll be able to "see" all the other user name accounts and then reset the passwords.
Message 64 of 112
rsinj
Guide

winstonz wrote:

Download telnetEnable
Run it following the instructions
Telnet into your Stora
Go under /home to find the old usernames with exact spelling

All at your own risk.

If you are not comfortable with Unix/Linux command line/shell you should not attempt without more specific/detailed instructions. If you need that, post a reply and I'll post them.
Message 65 of 112
vitaminbjorn
Aspirant

Hi Everybody

Need your help with my MS200!

It all started when i changed my router. I had a Dlink before witch controlled the internet and passed it around. Then the wifi stopped working on it, so i had to use the router that my internet provider had sent me. This router is very bad in every way. But i took my dlink to the shop and got a new one in return, same model. But when connecting everything up again i cant get the Stora to work at all.

It starts up normal, flashing blue light and then green light on my hd, but after a few seconds the blue light starts small cycles of flashing for a second at the time. This is all that happends, nothing more. I can not power it down with the button, the reset button does nothing. In the router it shows up, with ip and all, and sometimes it shows up in the network but i cant access it.

I have tried both exercises here but when neither reset or power button is working these tasks cant be completed (tried twice each)

Is there anything else i can do?

Also, does Netgear repair these or do you get a new one insted? I am located in Norway if that helps.

Cheers
Message 66 of 112
DEVILoper
Novice

DEVILoper wrote:
Dear Support and all,

Need your help.

Issue: Stora unable to get IP, re-flash or boot after update after 1 year of successful work.

Sequence of events (approx 20-25 Jan-2012):
0. Update Stora firmware to the latest version vie Web interface.
1. Got Premier account in order to get full features of Stora.
2. Installed iPhone Apps from hypserv. This app was working fine and I was able to browse Stora from outside.
3. On the Web interface in Settings Stora offers me a new update due to Premier account (I thought). Installed.
4. When back home DLNA server was working perfect with PS3 and iPhone and I was able to watch movie, listen music etc.
5. Next day I was not able to connect to Stora from outside nether via web nor from iPhone App.
6. When back home I've find that DNLS/UPnP server stopped (PS3 and iPhone cant see it) but FTP server is working fine.
7. I've rebooted Stora - nothing helped.
8. Tried Hards reset as per this Forum - no success.
9. FTP protocol dead - unable to see anything on Stora. When booting Stora the following LED's are blinking: POWER - blinks twice every second HDD1 - Green. HDD2 - off (no HDD2 installed).
10. Tried to re-flash the Stora via Web as per forum recommendation but after all steps done the following happens:
HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 blinks orange in turns - meaning that Stora is downloading the software... But is stays that way for 3.5 days... After that I've turned it off.
When booting Stora the following LED's are blinking: POWER - blinks twice every second HDD1 - Green. HDD2 - off (no HDD2 installed).

Please assist.
Regards, Dmitry.

problem solved by changing the Internet connectivity by connecting Stora from office not from home.
Message 67 of 112
must_dash
Novice

Just re-flashed my stora and it recreated the accounts.
However it has 'lost' the settings for the hard drive setup. Previously it was set up for maximum storage, now disc 1 is showing as configured, disc 2 as unused. Which ever configure option I select it warns "One or more of the selected drives currently contains data.
All data will be erased from the drive if you continue with this configuration."

How can I get back to where I should be with both drives without loosing data?
Is it possible?
If I 'loose' drive 2 how much of drive 1 is recoverable?

Thanks
Message 68 of 112
must_dash
Novice

However it has 'lost' the settings for the hard drive setup. Previously it was set up for maximum storage, now disc 1 is showing as configured, disc 2 as unused. Which ever configure option I select it warns "One or more of the selected drives currently contains data.
All data will be erased from the drive if you continue with this configuration."

Is it possible?

Thanks
Message 69 of 112
must_dash
Novice

Is it possible?

Thanks
Message 70 of 112
ehran
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Hey guys,

• To put the device into recovery mode first power off the device.
• Push and release the power button, time 15 seconds(exactly), then press and hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.

Hello

the steps above don't work for me, I never get HDDLED1 orange, I only get
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

What am I doing wrong ??

thanks
ehran
Message 71 of 112
robyb
Aspirant

ehran wrote:
Hello

the steps above don't work for me, I never get HDDLED1 orange, I only get
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

What am I doing wrong ??

thanks
ehran

Probably never updated your device to 2.3.3 or above?

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 72 of 112
ehran
Aspirant

its a brand new one from the stora helpdesk to replace a faulty one...
Message 73 of 112
robyb
Aspirant

ehran wrote:
its a brand new one from the stora helpdesk to replace a faulty one...

If its brand new then it's probably still at the old firmware. Why do you want to re-flash a new device?

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 74 of 112
ehran
Aspirant

Cuz its not working. Unable to connect to it and cant access my data 😞
Message 75 of 112
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7