× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re-flash your NetGear Stora

robyb
Aspirant

Re: Re-flash your NetGear Stora

ehran wrote:
Cuz its not working. Unable to connect to it and cant access my data 😞

Any specific errors during setup? That would help us diagnose the issue.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 76 of 112
ehran
Aspirant

Yes, I cant finalise the setup. Cant go past admin account creation, the submit button is ineffective and half the time the setup wont just work. The web server beeing non responsive.
Message 77 of 112
bugg
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Hey guys,

This solution has already been passed around this forum, but Ill make it easy to find.

Before re-flashing your Stora:

-Run SelfCheck update.
-Hard Reset your Stora.

If these solutions do not resolve the problem and the problem is related to:

Failing updates
Missing Web UI
Error messages within the Web UI
Media Servers
Samba acces

Version after reflash: 2.5.1

Re-flash your Stora:

Procedure

• To put the device into recovery mode first power off the device.
• Push and release the power button, time 15 seconds(exactly), then press and hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Once this is completed you will be able to re-register your Stora with the same product key and Stora name. To recover your data, recreate the same user accounts.

If the issue persists, please contact support.

Cheers,
Roby!

As with all the other issues, doesn't work
Stora all 3 lights blink
Message 78 of 112
Preax
Aspirant

after re-flashing my stora, its still impossible to connect. The problem started after a power failure, I couldn't connect to my stora anymore. I can ping to the stora, but it doesn't show in any webbrowser. Also when I check the router, it shows up. The agent also doesn't connect, so I am out of options.

please help
Message 79 of 112
Preax
Aspirant

problem solved. I had to reboot my router as well, now I can login to my stora again and create 'old' accounts again
Message 80 of 112
sident1972
Aspirant

I really am at my wits end with this I have all the usual problems with my Stora network dropping out losing connection, not seeing files, not being able to update etc, I have tried the hard reset I have tried the diagnosis software pretty much everything so I thought what the heck I will try to re-flash. After many attempts I finally had the wife using a stop watch to count down the 15 seconds and it finally worked. I have got to the setup stage and now it is saying that I have not got enough space on the HDD to create an account (Iknow that there is at least 150gb left) is there anything that I can do? or have I lost all my data? to say this is supposed to be a consumer item that is simple to use it is a pretty poor device.
Cheers
Si
Message 81 of 112
sident1972
Aspirant

Well after more searching through the forums (Roby you really do appear to be single handedly supporting the Stora) I have managed to complete the set up by powering off removing the Hdd and completing the registration. However I now have a fully updated stora that still cannot access the folders on the HDD!!!!!! I am getting the errors I was getting before this long and winding journey! via LAN I can see the STORA but get the error 0x80070035 The network path was not found on all the folders. In the web interface when I go to Media Library I am getting a red pop up box saying STORA error could not connect to server when I click off this I am getting a spinning icon and loading in the folders etc. Can anyone suggest any ways of getting my data from the HDD before I take a hammer to this damn thing! I really need the data from the disk.
Message 82 of 112
Red_Panda
Aspirant

I managed to reflash my Stora MS2000 successfully this morning using Roby's instructions (thanks Roby!).

The only minor problem was the need to create and then log on with a new User Name. I then went into Preferences, selected my original User Name and re-entered the original password. I then logged out and logged back in as the original User and deleted the new, temporary, User.

All data is intact on both disks.

I needed to do the reflash after I made the fatal mistake of trying to update the firmware from version 2.3 using the option in the web interface. The first update went fine but it seems that updates are applied sequentially rather than each update bundling all the earlier updates and the web interface showed that another update was available. I went for it again and lost the web interface for my trouble!

The Hard Reset option didn't work unfortunately.

I feel sorry for non-technical users trying to deal with this device...
Message 83 of 112
GryphonB
Aspirant

The leds are signals of the current state, irrespective of how many, if any, hdds are installed
Message 84 of 112
GryphonB
Aspirant

Hi, I just bought a Stora NS2000. During setup Step 1 I get a http 404.0 error. Since I'd tried everything else I went the reflash route. Everything proceeded normally to the point of power led off + hdd lights alternating.

While I was not looking it then showed power led flashing fast with hdd1 light orange, which I assumed was normal for powering on. I've left it like that for about 5 minutes then tried a power off for 5 seconds which has no result.

Now I'm out of options. What should I do?
Message 85 of 112
henrig
Aspirant

Graculus wrote:
I left the HDDs in. I've done it twice, recently. Be aware that it will get you back up and running, but in my case with the previous firmware (2.3.3 I think). Updating is simple afterwards though. Also the time taken to download and re-flash is seriously optimistic in the instructions, 4-5 mins should read 45mins! I'm not on a particularly slow connection. Don't worry if it seems to be taking ages, just let it do its thing...

Good luck!

I've left it to "do its thing" overnight, and no luck. The HDD lights flash, and seem happy to do so forever...

The reason I got into this thread is that my blue light is flashing, and the on/off button does not seem to work (so rebooting means taking the power plug out), hard reset does not seem to do anything much (except start the HDD flashing), and my Stora seems dead to the world.

Any ideas? Support say it's a software fault (which I am not covered for). I say this is an appliance, and so after resetting, I should be able to restart it, no?

Oh! Clearly an IP address has been assigned - `nmap -sT ` returns:

Not shown: 984 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
25/tcp open smtp
80/tcp open http
110/tcp open pop3
119/tcp open nntp
143/tcp open imap
465/tcp open smtps
514/tcp filtered shell
563/tcp open snews
587/tcp open submission
993/tcp open imaps
995/tcp open pop3s
3128/tcp open squid-http
8008/tcp open http
8080/tcp open http-proxy
8081/tcp open blackice-icecap
8888/tcp open sun-answerbook
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 106.44 seconds

but I don't know how to ssh to it...

Any clue/ help/ hint welcome!
Message 86 of 112
maaadcow
Aspirant

CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THAT THIS WORKS?

1) Do I need a new installation disk? Or will this work anyway?
2) When you set up the orginal user name and password the data is still there?
3) Does it matter if the drives were set up in RAID format before the reset? I can't get access to the device. So, I clearly cannot turn RAID off.

Thx.

robyb wrote:
Hey guys,

This solution has already been passed around this forum, but Ill make it easy to find.

-Run SelfCheck update.
-Hard Reset your Stora.

Failing updates
Missing Web UI
Error messages within the Web UI
Media Servers
Samba acces

Version after reflash: 2.5.1

Re-flash your Stora:

Procedure

• To put the device into recovery mode first power off the device.
• Push and release the power button, time 15 seconds(exactly), then press and hold the reset button while bootup continues.
• The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
• As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
• Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
• Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
• The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
• Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Once this is completed you will be able to re-register your Stora with the same product key and Stora name. To recover your data, recreate the same user accounts.

If the issue persists, please contact support.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 87 of 112
RiffRaff
Aspirant

Hi,

After carrying out your instructions my Stora still blinks Blue, when I held down the reset both HDD’s flashed green then went off only the blue flashing continued.
I have tried the Selfcheck to no avail and the hard reset doesn’t work either - any idea’s?
Message 88 of 112
alexyoga
Aspirant

Stora stopped a month ago. Same as others above - 2 drives green lights, blue light flashing. So after reading the thread I followed reflashing procedure. Left it overnight with alternate lights flashing green-orange on a 250kbps connection but no signs of life.

It had a failed update which I over-rode the past year - so assuming last time updated was july 2011 what version was I probably on, and what is my best course of nextaction?

Alex
Message 89 of 112
Baybans
Aspirant

-Run SelfCheck update.
-Hard Reset your Stora.

Did the Selfcheck it doesn't do anything. Just tells me to reboot my Stora which I do but nothing happens.
I've done the hard reset, if I click on the stora it asks for a username and password but none work.
I know I need to set up a new username and password by running set up but the set up doesn't work either. It won't take me to the set up wizard.

Any ideas?
Message 90 of 112
Baybans
Aspirant

I have noticed that my stora is on Version 1.3.3.1073 but keeps telling me it is up to date. How do I manually change this as this could be the root of all my problems?
Message 91 of 112
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi, Is this not the version of stora agent your using and not the firmware of the stora? In the web GUI click on "about" in he bottom left of the screen and this will give the firmware of the stora. Right clicking on the stora agent tray icon and selecting preferences will give the version of stora agent you are using. :)
Message 92 of 112
pcliff069
Aspirant

So the symptoms are every time I try to log on to Stora Agent on my PC I get an invalid user or password.

Stora is not showing in my network and I cannot use mirror.

If I go to www.mystora.com - no problems with logging on - but not a gr8 piece of software to be working with.

On my laptop I can access stora agent, mirror ans stora appears on my network.

I tried all the usual remedies - removed software, hard reset, soft reset and every time it tells me my that my network already exists. :confused:

I am now 1 hour plus into a re-flash.

If this is what you have to do correct this problem I would humbly suggest that the designers of this piece of hardware need a serious good hard look at themselves.

And I am into my second day of owning this piece of hardware,:eek:
Message 93 of 112
pcliff069
Aspirant

2 hours later and the orange lights keep flashing

1%
5%
10%
75%
99%

who knows

what a magic way to do a flash:p
Message 94 of 112
pcliff069
Aspirant

After 12 hours of flashing orange and green I pulled the plug - but not after a very unsuccessful call to Netgear support - over 30 minutes and tossed from pillar to post.

It seems to be back to where it was.

No network on the PC and OK on the laptop.

Guess I'll just have to live with it

I'll never try another flash
Message 95 of 112
carlesg
Aspirant

Dears,

When boot normally I have the blinking blue light 4-5 times and a second of no light, after it repeats. All these with two static green lights.

I tried to re-flash, first time I could enter, but it took 15 hours and it was still in the process of "downloading" (orange light changing from HDD1 to HDD2), so I turned off power.

Now I try again to start process but it stucks on getting in the IP address (orange light static) when I check on the router the IP address has been assigned by DHCP.

I do not know how to proceed...

I called Netgear support and they told me my guarantee has expired 80 days ago...

HELP PLEASE!!!
Message 96 of 112
62dave
Aspirant

I've had a problem a few times where the Stora doesn't send a DHCP request & have fixed it in the past by reflashing. It's happened again whilst I've been away for a few day sand I tried to reflash it today.
This has not been successful on numerous attempts. I follow the procedure & hold the reset button in after 15 seconds (timed exactly). It always ends up with the blue LED out, HDD1 LED solid orange & HDD2 LED solid green.
The router shows no DHCP lease was requested. I've also reset it to factory defaults, (which never fixes the DHCP issue) prior to running the flash recovery procedure.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Message 97 of 112
jeffpqld
Novice

I think the main problem is that the drives are unformatted (or faulty).

I've put the drives in another caddy system, but when turn it on, the computer restarts itself!!

Any help here also?
Message 98 of 112
NigelJ
Novice

Several weeks ago my Stora lost the Web UI (garbled characters) but I can still access it locally. I have followed the instructions (several times) at the top of this thread but I can only get as far as all three lights flashing continuously, and the only way I can stop them is to unplug it from the mains. I have noticed there is a reset option on the CD-ROM that came with it. Would this re-flash it as well as resetting it? If it won't re-flash it I assume I wouldn't be able to re-enter the user details as the web interface is missing.

As a matter of interest, has anyone actually managed to re-flash at the first attempt, as reading the comments on here it would appear to be riddled with problems.
Message 99 of 112
beltbraces
Aspirant

I am unable to connect to my Stora. When I boot it up, it settles to what looks like a normal state (Power LED blue, HDD1 and HDD1 LEDs both stable green). However, I am unable to connect to the device from any PC. Additionally, the device does not show as active on the connected devices in the router.

As per the instructions at the head of this thread, I have tried:
- Running the SelfCheck software
- Hard Reset the Stora
both with no change to the above situation, and now I have:
- Re-flashed the Stora (I am unsure of the firmware version as I can't connect to it).

Having done all of these things, the Re-flash does not get to the HDD1/HDD2 flashing orange/green state that indicates downloading (or any of the other described states), but rather goes directly to Power LED off, HDD1 permanently orange and HDD2 permanently green.

Has any body else experienced this, and does anybody have any suggestions as to have to get my device to connect successfully again? Many thanks.
Message 100 of 112
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7