× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recover HDD data from broken Stora

stora_death
Tutor

Recover HDD data from broken Stora

After atempting a factory reset I can no longer access my stora. How can I retreive the data from my stora hardrives if the stora box is broken?

Thanks

Model: MS2110|Media Server|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mcrs969
Luminary

I guess that being the mystora.com service down, the restore procedure won't work.

I am very sorry about that, I am in a similar condition and I am not trying to restore as I fear that the shutdown of the main server might "brick" our STORA once we attempt to restore.

I would say it is not very fair to not state this in the EOL because Users may not know that mystora.com is "core" in the reset activity...

however: did you have a look at this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Stora-Legacy/How-to-recover-data-from-broken-stora/td-p/381091

and this?

https://sigri44.github.io/OpenStora/wiki/index_Harddrive_Recovery.html

they should be good for your situation...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi,

just few questions for me and the others to better understand...

What is the error associated to this "no longer access" to your data?

When did you perform the factory reset? Before or After the 1st April?

Do you remember your Stora name and the Users which you created on your Stora?

Message 2 of 7
stora_death
Tutor

Hi thanks for replying

AFTER April 1st (I didn't know about the april 1 cut off at the time) I found this link http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/  on a thread by @robyb  I attempted to use this link and my strora did not respond as it should have.  (fast blinking blue lite forever).

I then tried to do a factory reset following the user manual that I downloaded.  At that point I discover that I need to re-register my stora but I don't remember that name I gave it. I then reached out to @DexterJB who was able to provide my stora and user name. Until that point I was still able to access the afore mentioned link and mystora.com. Saddly once I had the needed information about my stora and attempted to do the registration process, the above link and mystora.com have both gone dead.  When I try to connect to my stora via <ip address>/?local=1 The connection fails. If I try to use the stora install software and reset the stora that way, the software does find my stora and allow me to sellect its IP but still I am never able to connect after this and never given the opportunity to enter my product ID or try to connect.

I can ping the IP. I can also ping the stora by "ping stora".  

So here I am with a stora that gets on my network, but I can not access it. The password I had for it is not longer working and I can not give it a new one.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to get my data back. If I can get my stora working, great. If I have to buy a linux machine and learn how to use it I will do that. Anything....

Thanks again

Message 3 of 7
mcrs969
Luminary

I guess that being the mystora.com service down, the restore procedure won't work.

I am very sorry about that, I am in a similar condition and I am not trying to restore as I fear that the shutdown of the main server might "brick" our STORA once we attempt to restore.

I would say it is not very fair to not state this in the EOL because Users may not know that mystora.com is "core" in the reset activity...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Stora-Legacy/How-to-recover-data-from-broken-stora/td-p/381091

and this?

https://sigri44.github.io/OpenStora/wiki/index_Harddrive_Recovery.html

Message 4 of 7
mcrs969
Luminary

NOTE: I am unable to post a reply containing a link, I am not sure whether some mod applied some restriction to my profile... however I'll write you how to look for such Link.

I guess that being the mystora DOT com service down, the restore procedure won't work.

search "how to recover data from broken stora"

and this?

search "sigri 44" on "github" and look for OpenStora, Index_Harddrive_Recovery.

sorry for not being able to post the links but I don't know why I can't either copying them either using the proper button of text format.

Message 5 of 7
stora_death
Tutor

YOU SIR! @mcrs969 are a BONAFIDE hero and a credit to the human race!  The first link you gave, I had seen already but it has a broken link listed inside it. The SECOND link you list is 2 pages of miracle. I have a PC running right now with ubuntu OS booting from a thumb drive. One of my stora drives is installed in this machine and copying files out as we speak.  Not just photos and music, there are important documents I have stored here becuase I was being "responsible" and putting them on a backed up NAS.  HA!  I learned a VERY valuable lesson about what NAS hardware I am willing to use in the future.  I will be building them out of PC's with no special sauce that goes EOL and leaves you up a creek.

Thank you so much man! 

Message 6 of 7
mcrs969
Luminary

Thank you so much I am very happy you could recover your data...! don’t give up restoring your STORA, if you wish To do it let me know.

Nice to read your message and there is no better feeling than helping somebody specially when important data is concerned.

My best wishes for health and for your Easter!
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7