× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router not assigning LAN IP Adress to Stora

StoraMS2120_Tho
Aspirant

Router not assigning LAN IP Adress to Stora

My 5y old NetGear stora device are not showing up on my routers list of LAN clients ?

Router cable connected directly to Stora

Observations:

Stora device front LEDs light blue and flashing green.. Network LED also lights

Logging into router as admin I see 12 different LAN clients - but not the Stora ??

I cannot find information anywhere on how to correct - most issues seems to be on portforwarding - but problem here looks to be different as not even getting IP address..

Trials done to correct error:

Logging on to WebGui -> tells the Stora not accessible (naturally - as not getting IP address by router..)

Trying to install the MS2120 storaDesktopApplications-2.5 gives SAME error message on 2 PCs ?? (Error reading Setup initialization file..)

Old version installs - but some error messages seen..

Model: WNDR4720|Centria - Storage router with 2TB HDD
Message 1 of 4
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Re: Router not assigning LAN IP Adress to Stora

Try to pull out the disk(s), reboot it, check for a DHCP lease. If there is no lease - restore it to factory defaults and check if there is lease obtained from your router. If It is OK look for problematic disk - physical defects, dirty FS & etc. If not ... there could be other failure. If possible DO NOT TRY to recover/repair firmware as recovery server is down and Stora WILL BE SOFT BRICKED! Contact me on PM if you need to restore files on flash with firmware as it will be far easier than recovering whole firmware!

Message 2 of 4
StoraMS2120_Tho
Aspirant

Appreciate response - i have tried to pull out / reinsert disks and reboot without seeing it on Router.. Restore to factory defaults - that will delete all Harddrive content (this is my backup drive - so all family pictures last 10y stored there)  ?

Is there anyway I can access data on the drives and copy to other HDD eg. through USB without getting IP Address (I dont care about dumping the Netgear Stora - but i would be very sad to loose all content..) ?

@Gitsov wrote:

Try to pull out the disk(s), reboot it, check for a DHCP lease. If there is no lease - restore it to factory defaults and check if there is lease obtained from your router. If It is OK look for problematic disk - physical defects, dirty FS & etc. If not ... there could be other failure. If possible DO NOT TRY to recover/repair firmware as recovery server is down and Stora WILL BE SOFT BRICKED! Contact me on PM if you need to restore files on flash with firmware as it will be far easier than recovering whole firmware!

Message 3 of 4
Gitsov
Virtuoso

First, one simple test:

Power off Stora, remove the disks. Power it on, log in your router and check if there is a lease for hostname which is like "stora-ramfs" "storaramfs" or similar. If there is a such lease, probably something in software configuration of the unit has ben changed/broken, but firmware is alive and probably OK. In that situation just issue reset to factory defaults (https://kb.netgear.com/20608/How-to-Reset-the-Stora-to-Factory-Defaults). Register it with same unit name, same username and same password. Power it off and put disks back. Files will be there and they should be accessible. If DHCP lease is missing probably there is a problem with one or more disks - put them in PC either via SATA->USB converter, or preferrably directly to internal SATA connector of PC. When you plugged disk to PC check it's SMART status with Hard disk sentinel / Crystal disk info/HDTune or whatever software which you prefer. Check both disks one by one. 

If there is no stora-ramfs lease - contact me on PM. Probably there is a fault in flash with firmware or hardware faailure. I will try to be helpfull as most as I can.

Third route is to attach one of Stora disks if it was on RAID1 config, download ubuntu live linux distro or similar, import mdadm raid config, mount XFS partition from disk and copy/move your files from drive. IF YOU USED BOTH DISKS IN RAID0 (Double space) THEN YOU MUST ATTACH BOTH DISKS BEFORE MOUNTING THEM IN LINUX!!!! Otherwise you are risking data loss. In this case you will need disk with free space = total storage space on Stora.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7