× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora Disk(s) won't stop chattering

r21442
Aspirant

Stora Disk(s) won't stop chattering

MS2110 2x1TB

Has worked fine since purchase but now the disks won't stop and worried about premature ageing not to mention in the still of the night I can hear them accessing away in the service cupboard!

It might be since I changed my PC to use an SSD and reinstalled all my apps from scratch rather than do a migration but I cannot see why that would be the case? It also might be since I satrted saving some larg'ish MPEG4 videos for the first time but again I can't think why? These are the only two unusual events I can think of.

I've checked everything in my preferences and see nothing wrong. Disks checkout OK, the RAID is clean and a virus scan is clean.

The drives used to park themselves and spin down and now they don't. Given that should be HDD firmware unless it gets an activity signal from the NAS then I can only think there's something going on with it?

Any ideas welcome!

Message 1 of 6
r21442
Aspirant

Re: Stora Disk(s) won't stop chattering

OK, I posted this because a search didn't throw up any likely threads. Soon as I post it I get some similar discussion threads Smiley Sad

Two things to add. When I reinstalled the stora agent software and set up the login again I too probably iirc did a firmware upgrade so it could be that?

The other thread mentions long filenames and deleting them solved the problem. I am aware that the video files I mentioned have long'ish filenames as well as being 1-2GB. I will have a go at deleting these which seemed to solve someone else's problems.

Message 2 of 6
r21442
Aspirant

Tried several time to update this. Don't know why it won't post?

I still have the problem. Re-booted after deletion the long MPEG4 filenames and after 30-60m the disks started accessing again. The filenames are still shorter than many others that have been on there or years with no issue - my music library is stored with the track name as the flac filename.

I'm now suspecting the firmware upgrade?

Message 3 of 6
r21442
Aspirant

Tried a virus scan, disk check and reset. Nothing works. This forum as dead as a dodo.

Off to the Synology shop.

Message 4 of 6
KipL
Initiate

Message 5 of 6
r21442
Aspirant

Thanks KipL. Some stuff I need to go look at in there.

In the meantime I went and bought a Synology NAS and populated it with SSDs. Still have the Stora untouched since I transferred over. Don't need anything too big - its just for my photos, music library and a few household documents. However, my interest is piqued so I'll get around to this. I'm not as techno literate as some of the guys but I'll work it out.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7