× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora - Error Message on Setup

Rustproof
Aspirant

Re: Stora - Error Message on Setup

Hello, 

I was just wondering if you could PM me the workaround for the Stora 346 error code during registration as its driving me mad.

thanks in advance.

Message 26 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Done. You have PM. Make sure that you get registration details before replacement of firmware.

Message 27 of 85
JoeBrady
Aspirant

Hey,

Are you able to PM me the details too? I'm the original thread maker and I still don't have a solution haha.

Kind regards,

Joe

Message 28 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

@JoeBrady:

Looks like you forgot to remind me that you need it ... with more than 500 messages in PM Inbox and plenty of subscribed topics here, I really lost the track where and to whom I replied. Sorry. You should have PM from me - check it.

Message 29 of 85
punkerthanyomom
Aspirant

Could you PM me the workaround as well? Thanks!

Message 30 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Done. You have PM.
Message 31 of 85
petertheface
Aspirant

Can I also get the fix? Thanks!

Message 32 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Done. You have PM with instructions.

Message 33 of 85
awmac1
Aspirant

Sorry to also jump on the bandwagon, but coupld I please also have the 346 error workaround?!! 🙂

Message 34 of 85
Erwin_0001
Aspirant

I experience the same problem. @Virtuoso: Could you please send me also the fix? Thnx from the Netherlands!

Message 35 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Done.

Message 36 of 85
awmac1
Aspirant

Thanks so much!! 🙂 Will try over the next few days~!

Message 37 of 85
Pjfrith
Aspirant

Hi buddy,
Could you please send me the line 346 error fix?

I’m hoping your instructions are idiotproof 🤪

Best regards and thanks
Pete
Message 38 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

I've sent you PM.

Message 39 of 85
Stavs
Aspirant

Could I please ask for the instructions too?

Much appreciated. 

Message 40 of 85
awmac1
Aspirant

Mate, try the attached, it worked for me for the error - just follow this to the letter!

Message 41 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

@Stavs: I've sent you instructions.

@awmac1: Solution which you provided already bricked his unit. Reasons - unstable or not available all the time recovery server, update server does not respond from time to time (despite that Netgear made it to always return static result that no updates are available, no matter which version is flashed).

This one which I provide is with latest update pre-installed and updates are disabled, no matter what's the status of update server. Additionally it flashes ltest kernel, which factory recovery does not.

Message 42 of 85
tonyio
Aspirant

could you please let me have the solution to the error below?

Error message: at /var/www/admin/update.pm line 346

Thank you in advance.

Message 43 of 85
Monetxxx
Aspirant

Hello Gitsov!

I was just wondering if you could PM me to share the workaround for the Stora 346 error code during registration. I had to make a hard reset and now I am stuck at the setup screen with the error "Error message: at /var/www/admin/update.pm line 346 "...

Thanks in advane for your help and work on this! Much appreciated bring back to life my stora!

Thanks again!

Message 44 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Guys,

If carefully read that topic at message 11/page 1 there is a post from JimFromCanada:

"

I just spazzed out and fixed the update issue. I "deparsed" the perl module for updates:

$ perl -MO=Deparse update.pm > ~/update.pl

Which then let me see what it was doing. I tried throwing a quick 'return' in it, but it turns out this gets called in 'setup_update.pm'.

So I "deparsed" that module:

$ perl -MO=Deparse setup_update.pm

Then I realized what it was doing and basically deleted the whole thing.

If you copy/paste the below into a new file (after renaming the existing one) it will bypass the setup issue.

-bash-3.2$ cat setup_update.pm
package setup_update;
sub process {
    return 'success';
}
sub display {
    my $vars = shift @_;
    my $template = shift @_;
    $$vars{'name'} = $name;
    die 'Template error: ' . $template->error . "\n" unless $template->process('setup_update.html', $vars);
}
'???';

I don't know if this will fix the random rebooting issue though. That one is the most troubling for me. 😕

Actually, here's a script that'll do the aforementioned update:

#!/bin/bash

# This is the contents of the updated script:
NEW_SCRIPT=$(cat << EOF
package setup_update;
sub process {
    return 'success';
}
sub display {
    my $vars = shift @_;
    my $template = shift @_;
    $$vars{'name'} = $name;
    die 'Template error: ' . $template->error . "\n" unless $template->process('setup_update.html', $vars);
}
'???';
EOF
)

# Make a backup of the existing file just in case:
cp /var/www/admin/setup_update.pm /var/www/admin/setup_update.pm.bak

# Dump the new script into the old location. Note: this doesn't have to be compiled/turned into bytecode. 
# Plain-text perl scripts can be relablled .pm and used as modules.
echo "$NEW_SCRIPT" > /var/www/admin/setup_update.pm

To use it:

1) ssh into the stora (see https://itslennysfault.com/easy-way-to-get-root-on-a-netgear-stora if you're not sure how).

2) create a new file and copy/paste the above code into it. If you follow the tutorial on the lenny site, he shows how to install nano. If you have nano installed, just run 'nano meow.sh' and then copy/paste the code into it.

3) make sure the file is executable by running 'chmod +x meow.sh'

4) run the script with sudo: sudo ./meow.sh

5) navigate the browser to the stora web page and it'll get past the blocker.

Warning: do the above at your own risk, yadda yadda yadda. It's fairly harmless as it makes a backup of the existing file before stomping it.

I should also point out: if anyone is brave enough (read: has lots of time on their hands) then you could easily rip through the perl code and update it to do whatever you like.  I would really like to know if the update server is what was causing my reboot issue--if it was, and someone knows where that code lives, please post up. If it's actually the website doing the updates (I don't see how it could be?) then this may solve the problem inadvertantly.

Good luck."

================================

Another way from me (temporary, just to pass setup phase):

"Message 19 of 44 on this topic:

- To finish setup:

** I am assuming that you are at step with updates error ****

Open SSH, get root privilege. You should know how or how to Connect to stora via SSH. AS ROOT COPY/PASTE THIS COMMAND and run it:

echo "4" > /var/lib/admin-util/setup-page

Open in browser Stora IP address, contunue setup with remaining steps. NEVER check for updates from web interface - results are unpredictable. This is temporary and very dirty trick.

Summary with all steps required to get activated unit, from factory defaulted:

1. Open in browser IP address of stora

2. Type your product key and unit name

3. Type desired username, display name for user (optional) and password for user (twice)

4. Wait for updates failure (Error 346), don't close setup page.

5. Conect on SSH, get root privileges (there is a so much results on Google how to do it)

6. Type or copy paste command below and hit enter:

echo "4" > /var/lib/admin-util/setup-page

7. Refresh Stora setup page, it should display next step (asking for notification e-mail address I think).

8. Finish setup, login to Stora with newly created user and MAKE SURE THAT YOU NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES!

9. Enjoy and wait for me to release firmware with stripped off update checks and pre-applied last update.

---------------------------------------
Happy STORA MS2120 Owner.
>Buy me a coffee if you liked my work: https://paypal.me/Gitsov/2
I'll be away from home until 12.08.2018, please expect some delays with my answers.

Message 19 of 44"

Method 3 - Reflash unit with firmware which have last update for Stora and fixed updates: Send me PM if you need it, I'll reply with instructions when I can.

Message 45 of 85
RoelWesthoff
Aspirant

Same here, can't get it to setup at all. Did a factory reset of my STORA.

Ended up with the dreaded error message '/var/www/admin/update.pm line 346

Windows 10 Home

Message 46 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

@RoelWesthoff: Just reflash it or see my previous posts. I've sent you message with instructions in case you go on route with reflashing.

Message 47 of 85
elnachet
Aspirant

could u please let me how can i reflash with new firmware??

thanks in advance....

Message 48 of 85
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Done. Check your PMs.

Message 49 of 85
Blach8310
Aspirant

On my Stora I also get this error 346 in the configuration window. I have read all above, but I do not understand what you are doing. The story is that my old Stora stopped working. The mainboard are caput. So I bought a used Stora without disc. Installed the "new" Stora (no disk in). Used my original username, password and product key from the old Stora. Now sitting here and cannot get further. I am running Windows - and all what you do - is proberly though some Linux or ??. So can somebody guide me though this, so I can get the disk in and access to my data??? I have Ubunto on a boot dvd which, can run in a ramdisk.
Message 50 of 85
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7