× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stora MS 2110 is it now just a brick?

DuncTheScot
Aspirant

Stora MS 2110 is it now just a brick?

I have a Stora MS 2110.

I am trying to set it up again after having to rebuild my MAC and network.

I cannot access mystora.com amd cannot register the device.

Is it now just a brick or is there anyway I can set it up just to use either standalone or through my local network?

Thanks for any advice..

Message 1 of 16
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DuncTheScot

Welcome to the Community! 

You should be able to access the GUI locally using the IP address of the Stora. Have you tried using the resource CD on setting up your Stora?  if you need to set it up again, it will need internet connection. However, Stora mystora.com has been taken down last April 01, 2020.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 16
gregkennedy
Aspirant

@dunc
Can you clarify mystora.com taken down. Do you mean its offline or dead and burried never to be seen again.
Message 3 of 16
DuncTheScot
Aspirant

I understand it is dead and buried.

I need to reconfigure my Stora to be able to access it, and to access it I need to use MyStora.com.

But I am under the impression MyStora.com is now dead and will not be coming back online.

So either need to find another way of configuring my Stora, or.........?

Seems a waste, as it is fully functional and I am sure there must be some way of reflashing it with some generic software like FreeNAS to get it to work standalone. I have no interest of the MyStora application anyway, just want to use it as backup on my own Wifi network for local backup and storage.

Message 4 of 16
DuncTheScot
Aspirant

Thanks Marc.

So does that mean there is no way of setting it up again without MyStora.com?

Can I reflash it anyway using something generic such as FreeNAS?

Message 5 of 16
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DuncTheScot @gregkennedy

The Stora service has ended last April, it has been out of service since then.

If you will just set it up the first time or setting it up again, there is no way anymroe to do that since it needs to connect to Stora service which is our of service already.

Reflashing it might not be possible with NETGEAR Support but unofficial way there might be, just not sure how or what to use.

HTH

Message 6 of 16

Hi,
what you are saying is ridiculous: my device works perfectly and because it needs an hard reset it becomes a brick only because Netgear decides to close the website.
There would be legal action!

Model: MS2110|Media Server|EOL
Message 7 of 16
DuncTheScot
Aspirant

Thank you for your helpful advice Luigi.

What I am saying is not ridiculious or legal action, it is a simple question asking for help as i have been unable to get My Stora up and running again once the My Stora site was closed down.

Any assistance appreciated.

Unhelpful comments not so.

Message 8 of 16
emb78
Aspirant

Hi

there are some tutorials on the net to install a debian on this black glamour brick, just search for "netgear stora debian".

Things you need

• Netgear Stora 🙂
  • A TTL serial port, and wires to connect it.
  • An USB stick. Preferably with +10MB/s write speed, and +8GB capacity.
  • A PC to serve as a TFTP server, and to connect to the Stora via the TTL serial port.

Message 9 of 16
gatepark
Tutor

Hi,

Like many of you on this thread I've been looking for a way of accessing my 'bricked' stora.

Thinking ouside the box I remembered having a Stora App on an old iPad1. Given that Flash is the problem with access from a PC I figured that as Apple doesn't use Flash(?) it might still work?

So I dug out my old iPad, charged the battery, booted it up and....Hey presto! The app still works. I now have limited access to my Stora using my old iPad. I can see all the content but can't do anything much with it. Haven't figured out how to move stuff to my new chosen storage platform which is a Synology NAS but at least I can see the files and open them.

I appreciate that this isn't a universal solution and it won't be of use to everyone... but it mght be the beginings of an idea for a workaround?

Please keep me posted if you can push this approach any further than I have managed.

Message 10 of 16
gatepark
Tutor

EVEN BETTER NEWS!!

I have an ancient iMac running Snow Leopard - which has old Flash Player installed and uses Safari as its standard browser.

I dusted it off, fired it up and connected to my Lan - where my Stora is attached.

I tried to connect to the Stora locally using Safari and the Stora's ip.

Once agin - SUCCESS! I have access to the full gui front end to the Stora.

I'm going to transfer the files I need from the Stora to my Synology NAS either by copying them to a USB stick or by enabling FTP on the Stora. Watch this space.

Message 11 of 16
gatepark
Tutor

CONFIRMED.

Transfer of files from the Stora using USB and FTP (via Filezilla) works successfully.

Hope this helps. I know other Linux based options exist but for anyone like me who knows diddly-squat about Linux this has been a much easier workaround.

Regards to all...stay safe 

Message 12 of 16
Sanfrid
Aspirant

Hi,

Got the same problem when Flash was cleaned from my computer. Then it was not possible to use the Stora web interface in any browser in Win10.

But I have an old Acer laptop with WinXP still working. Used the browser Maxthon, still using the Flash, to log into the Stora, it works just fine to configure settings.

Happy that my Stora did not became a brick, been working fine since nov-2011. 

Two 1 TB WD HD never any issues with disks running 24/7.

@gatepark wrote:

CONFIRMED.

Transfer of files from the Stora using USB and FTP (via Filezilla) works successfully.

Hope this helps. I know other Linux based options exist but for anyone like me who knows diddly-squat about Linux this has been a much easier workaround.

Regards to all...stay safe 

Model: MS2120|Media Server|EOL
Message 13 of 16
orelae33
Aspirant

I did implement a workaround cautioned by way of a forum member, some thing to do with AFP passwords, I don't pretty do not forget, maybe that is what's inflicting it as you can check.

Message 14 of 16

Just come back to this same problem after a period of illness and a house move - not only has my NetGear Stora denied access except for read-only music files via SONOS, but my ReadyNas NV+ gone the same way. Both bits of hardware are working file - it just seems to be the lack of a driver and some management software. The fact that NetGear have just walked away from these NAS product stinks, and I won't be buying anything else from them - not even switches even though they got those right!

I'm so angry at NetGear's arrogant behaviour I'll see what a really nasty (but honest) post on TrustPilot achieves - probably nothing but it might put people off buying their products.

Message 15 of 16
RedlineBMX
Aspirant

I hate Netgear for this.  I really got a lot of use from the Stora I bought and it has worked fine until recently when they killed the service.  I really like how this thing worked.

So now I have a perfectly functional NAS that has been EOL'd with little thought or concern about what customers will do with their files.  It's almost like they are being paid to help shunt people to cloud services for reliability because I am reluctant to have to keep purchasing new NAS hardware if they are going to keep retiring stuff that works well.  And with Fry's being closed I can't really go kick the tires of new NAS options and have to go with Amazon reviews which are, and this is charitable, suspect by nature.

Frankly, it's bull**bleep** but whatever.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7