× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stora Power Timer problem?

Jay67A
Novice

Stora Power Timer problem?

I have been using the power timer to turn the Stora off during the nights or while I am at work. Seems that always after couple of days, the Stora is blinking the blue lights and disk lights are amber. I need to make a power off reboot to get it working. Is this due to the power timer or something else? Is there anyone succesfully using the power timer?
Message 1 of 16
mjhamilton
Aspirant

this seems to be happening to a few people now.. at best it needs a power pull and reset, at worst it needs a factory refrash over the www...

... tried to find out from support what the RC is but once I resolved my immediate issue they were no longer interested in talking to me anymore as I (in their eyes) no longer had an issue

It did it mid December (this required a reflash) and then it did it last Monday (a simple power pull and restart resolved this)

Anyone from Netgear want to comment on this one??.. I too use the power timer and guess it has something to do with the system hanging at boot, of course there is no way to replicate this problem on the fly
Message 2 of 16
rsinj
Guide

RC is always "bad nand blocks"

Don't waste your time trying to get to the bottom of it - that's the answer you'll get.
Message 3 of 16
robyb
Aspirant

Some improvements have been added in this area in regards to the 2.5 update. We're hopefully hoping this will resolve the problem, but we can't be certain as the issue cannot be reproduced at will.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 4 of 16
Sabo
Aspirant

I've been using power timer for over a year without any problems. I recently modified my shutdown time period from 00:00 to 23:00 and my startup time from 06:00 to 09:00, ever since I made this change I started running into problems such as the amber lights coming on etc... I power cycled the device like I did the last time I had this problem and it powered up fine and I can now access the shares locally but when I login using the black screen using the www site it appears that I've lost all my flash icons and buttons, I see nothing but a black screen. I ran the www diag fix tool but that didn't seem to resolve the issue, I tried to access it from an outside network, tried using firefox, IE, Chrome, cleared browser cache and nothing seemed to resolve the issue. Has anyone ran into this issue before and what needs to happen to remediate it? Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sabo
Message 5 of 16
Bonsaif
Aspirant

Hello,

the same issue for me.
I also use the power timer every day and have a RAID1 config with the latest firmware (2.3.3.).
Yesterday evening the stora spin up the two drives and shutdown itself, but today morning I have a quick flashing blue LED and solid amber HDD-LED. Shutdown button on back didn't work, so I unplugged the power cable.
After restart the blue LED is solid but both HDD-LED are amber with no folder access. GUI-access is OK, the single drive state are "configured" but the RAID-state is "unknown resolve".

Perhaps it is a problem with the timing on spin up and too fast shutdown?

However, what can I do now? I need my data.

In november last year I had to reflash my stora over www and now the next issue. I only use it as a backup device over netshares. No streaming or other stuff. Why are these problems only to start and shutdown the device?

Thanks
Message 6 of 16
Bonsaif
Aspirant

Bonsaif wrote:
Hello,

the same issue for me.
I also use the power timer every day and have a RAID1 config with the latest firmware (2.3.3.).
Yesterday evening the stora spin up the two drives and shutdown itself, but today morning I have a quick flashing blue LED and solid amber HDD-LED. Shutdown button on back didn't work, so I unplugged the power cable.
After restart the blue LED is solid but both HDD-LED are amber with no folder access. GUI-access is OK, the single drive state are "configured" but the RAID-state is "unknown resolve".

Perhaps it is a problem with the timing on spin up and too fast shutdown?

However, what can I do now? I need my data.

In november last year I had to reflash my stora over www and now the next issue. I only use it as a backup device over netshares. No streaming or other stuff. Why are these problems only to start and shutdown the device?

Thanks

Robyb's magic update (Sticky: Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool)solved my problem.
Hope, that the next update (2.5) will improve this issue.
Thanks.
Message 7 of 16
Sabo
Aspirant

Any updates in regards to my issue from above? I have GUI access but lost the view, the screen is entirely black with no icons. What do I need to do to repair this problem?
Message 8 of 16
Southkil
Aspirant

Sabo wrote:
Any updates in regards to my issue from above? I have GUI access but lost the view, the screen is entirely black with no icons. What do I need to do to repair this problem?

Hi,

Have you tried this?

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=304456&postcount=2

If not, give it a go.

🙂
Message 9 of 16
Bonsaif
Aspirant

Hi,

the recovery procedure describes that: "The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed."

In my case a view weeks ago it took over one hour! (DSL1000)
Be patient.;)
Message 10 of 16
inteller
Apprentice

using the power timer will destroy your stora. You will have to do a complete factory restore. SO much for trying to be green.
Message 11 of 16
Jay67A
Novice

About a week ago, I turned off the power timer and I haven't had any problem with Stora after that. Previously it was locking up after couple of days.
Message 12 of 16
Sabo
Aspirant

Thank you Bonsaif! Your recommendation resolved my problem, I followed your instructions step by step and took roughly about 30 minutes from start to finish to include re-registering the device.
Thanks again!

Sabo
Message 13 of 16
hibbert32
Aspirant

Any updates to this that anyone knows? I have re flashed the system and still get the problem. I have to use the timer as I am away a lot and therefore not always physically with the Stora box.

Not having a resolution by Netgear really is not acceptable

Regards
Message 14 of 16
rsinj
Guide

Powertimer has been working fine for quite some time now - probably as of 4 or 5 firmware releases ago. At least it has been for me.
Message 15 of 16
Skydiver
Novice

hibbert32 wrote:
Any updates to this that anyone knows? I have re flashed the system and still get the problem. I have to use the timer as I am away a lot and therefore not always physically with the Stora box.

Not having a resolution by Netgear really is not acceptable

Regards

Hi,
I´m having the problem too.
How do you set up your router to give an ip to the stora ?
I had mine set to give a static ip via DHCP.
Now i`ve configured the router to give a normal ip via DHCP.
So the STORA can do the normal DHCP process renewing the ip an so on.
It seems to work this way, but i`m not 100% sure for now.
If you have set up your router the same way, you can test this if you want.

😉
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7