× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

rsinj
Guide

rsinj wrote:
mj has provided good info previously regarding mounting the Stora drive on his windows machine.

To get your data you need this or something similar:

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Sorry - it was UFS Explorer as shown on the other thread which has bubbled to the top.
Message 51 of 173
Sargasso
Aspirant

Hi!
I used your link and it changed my name of the stora from STORA / STORA2 to MYOWNNAME/MYOWNNAME2

But in that second the SMB not function...
I can see my "MYOWNNAME" on my NETWORK both on my Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.10 and Vista computer but the error is (on W7) Errorcod: 0x80070035 Nätverkssökvägen kan inte hittas. (in swedish).

How can I fix that problem?
I had tried close the firewall...

The SMB worked since I bought Stora for 7 month ago, but now I have Update the stora to 2,5.
Message 52 of 173
syhr
Aspirant

Back again! As posted yesterday I am having some problems with the STORA Desktop Mirror.

I have run the "self check" tool several times. Still when I run a synchronization either as myself, a user, or myself, the administrator, I continue to receive yellow triangles with exclamations inside with an explanation that the folders are out of date. The report states that the update on the folder failed - then that the folder on this computer is up to date - then that the update status on the of the folder on the server is missing. I get this for the files System, Library, User, and an additional Volume I have attached to my computer.

I am running a MAC computer using OSX 10.4.11 Tiger and have the 2.5 version of STORA Desktop Applications.

Whys is this happening and what can I do to ensure that my backups, the only reason I have the STORA are actully complete and usable to restore with.

Thank you,
rhys
Message 53 of 173
sillyname
Aspirant

@syhr

I don't believe your problem is Stora related, where the Diagnostic/Repair Tool would help. Desktop Mirror seems to continue to have some problems, mainly permission related and especially with Macs.

Personally, I would use a different backup/sync application, specifically written for Macs. There are several very good, well written apps out there, none are free. I use ChronoSync and I looked, it does support Tiger 10.5
Message 54 of 173
syhr
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. ChronoSync unfortunately does not support 10.4.x. Carbon Copy which I have appears unable to connect to STORA under 10.4.x.

Since this was advertised by Netgear as working with OSX I hoped it actually would. Not real happy to hear, "there are some problems - try somebody else's program."

I guess I'll just keep trying and asking questions till it gets worked out. At the very least, although an expensive solution, I can use the 1TB disk that came in the unit with a system, like PogoPlug or Addonics or Hitachi SimpleTech, to do a network cabled usable/restorable backup. Too bad if I can't get the Stora to work because it seems like a good system otherwise.

rhys
Message 55 of 173
syhr
Aspirant

I take that back Chronosync does state it works with 10.4.x. Still for an additional $40 I'm not sure I would have purchased the STORA. Food for thought though.
Message 56 of 173
Sylvainb
Aspirant

syhr wrote:
Back again! As posted yesterday I am having some problems with the STORA Desktop Mirror.

I have run the "self check" tool several times. Still when I run a synchronization either as myself, a user, or myself, the administrator, I continue to receive yellow triangles with exclamations inside with an explanation that the folders are out of date. The report states that the update on the folder failed - then that the folder on this computer is up to date - then that the update status on the of the folder on the server is missing. I get this for the files System, Library, User, and an additional Volume I have attached to my computer.

I am running a MAC computer using OSX 10.4.11 Tiger and have the 2.5 version of STORA Desktop Applications.

Whys is this happening and what can I do to ensure that my backups, the only reason I have the STORA are actully complete and usable to restore with.

Thank you,
rhys

Hi Rhys,

Can you advise me which version of the Web UI you are running by going to the about Stora section and getting the Software Version. Aslo if you could get the version of the Desktop Application by going to the About section as well.

Thanks,

SylvainB
Message 57 of 173
syhr
Aspirant

Software Version: 2.5:2.0.0.368:1.2.256 Desktop Mirror: Version 2.1.4.0 Thank you, rhys
Message 58 of 173
genecal
Aspirant

Henk wrote:
My Stora showed a blinking powerled and a permanent orange disk led. After hard power reset still the same problem. Couldn't reach it, not visible on the network.
After applying the magic update, and following instructions. I have a fully operational Stora again. I'll turn off the sheduled power off/on, until that nand problem get's fixed.

Thanks a lot

What magic update are you talking about, my Stora died today, has a blinking power light and both HDD lights are solid green, I can not access my stora, but can ping it. I tried the repair tool, and it did not do anything, still does not work. any idea's
Message 59 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

genecal wrote:
What magic update are you talking about, my Stora died today, has a blinking power light and both HDD lights are solid green, I can not access my stora, but can ping it. I tried the repair tool, and it did not do anything, still does not work. any idea's

No magic for me either. I have run the self check and have attempted Stora recovery several times and I still can't seem to interface with the Stora, although i can access the files that are on it. No-one seems to be able to answer my question about whether I need this function in order to instal a second drive.

My assumption is that I can install a second drive, but that not being able to see the Stora interface pages, then it would be problematic for me to actually recover from a disc failure using this drive.

too bad :confused:

King Hilary.
Message 60 of 173
mtiede
Tutor

Are you able to get to it by going to a browser and doing:

http://192.168.1.5 (where 192.168.1.5 would be your Stora IP) ?

Do you get the login screen? If not, what happens?

What happens when you do the reset and then go to MyStora?

Does your network have a different name than "WORKGROUP"?

I assume you set a static IP for the Stora, but if not, do that when you reset the Stora.
Message 61 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

typing in the web address gets me to the Stora login screen. I enter the correct passwords and enter. I then get hung on a welcome to stora .com page that reads "Signing in, please wait.

but it never gets past that.

KH
Message 62 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

Just to clarify what is happening. Clearly the page does direct to my stora, because if i try putting in the display name instead of the user name I get an immediate message that the user name does not match the box. furthermore I still can access the folders on the stora from this computer or other family computers on my network at home.

Now after a long while, I get a second sign in page where I can enter the Username and password for this stora. After pressing enter, there is a long wait with a page called HISE-Setup wizard trying to load. this page has a black background with a large white box in lower right croner. There are gears and the words "Configuring your Stora". Eventually "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" appears in the white box.

Therefore I cannot interface with the stora to manage the disc drives..... and no one seems to know wheter I need to do this in order to effectively use a second backup drivein the box. I see no point in installing the second drive, if I wont be able to access it to recover files if there is a drive failure.

Will I just hope that I never need to use it? :confused: :mad:

King Hilary.
Message 63 of 173
mtiede
Tutor

I didn't look back through this thread, but if you haven't tried already, I would try the "reset" procedure found in other threads. Then re-create the same user so that it can find any files that were there.

But resetting should make it go through the initial sigin dialog again and hopefully it will get past what is happening to you now.

I've got no other ideas. Sorry.
Message 64 of 173
coachrichard
Novice

Why is this link showing n all my browsers as untrusted?
robyb wrote:
hi everyone,

we've created a self-serve diagnostic and repair tool for your stora which searches and replaces bad system files.

You should run the stora diagnostic and repair tool when experiencing any of the following symptoms:

- no www access to your stora
- no samba access to your stora
- your stora doesn't appear in your upnp dlna client
- unable to apply updates

to receive the update go to http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/ and enter your product key, then follow the instructions.

Cheers,
roby!
Message 65 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

Because certificates are expensive 🙂

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 66 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

Hi Roby,

Are you able to explain why my Stora interface cannot be seen? I tried the reset tool above, and also the reset procedure that you sent me in an email, but so far nothing has worked.

Do you know the answer to my question about what would happen if I can't see the interface in the event of installing a second drive?

thanks,

KH
Message 67 of 173
abcd1234
Novice

robyb wrote:
Hi everyone,

We've created a self-serve Diagnostic and Repair Tool for your Stora which searches and replaces bad system files.

You should run the Stora Diagnostic and Repair Tool when experiencing any of the following symptoms:

- No www access to your Stora
- No samba access to your Stora
- Your Stora doesn't appear in your UPnP DLNA client
- Unable to apply updates

To receive the update go to http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/ and enter your Product Key, then follow the instructions.

Cheers,
Roby!

Roby
How long would Diagnostic Repair Tool run?
I've restarted the unit & the power light still flash after an hour.
Thanks
abcd
Message 68 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

abcd1234 wrote:
Roby
How long would Diagnostic Repair Tool run?
I've restarted the unit & the power light still flash after an hour.
Thanks
abcd

That's too long, you should consider re-flashing your device if the issue persists.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 69 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

Well to let everyone know what is happening with my Stora so far.

Today I had an email from support to say that they had installed an update on my Stora and to see if I had web access now.

So it took a while, but I actually got into the web interface.... Hallelujia !

But then there was a message saying that an update had been installed, and press okay to reboot the Stora, or cancel to reboot later.

silly me, I pressed okay.... The stora turned itself off, and then began to boot up. well didn't I just get the blinking blue power light and a steady orange HDD1 light. so I let that blink, and the stora drive spinning all the while for ages.... finally I tried to use the power button to get it to power down.... No response, continuous blinking blue and spinning. Needless to say the sound system and computer did not have any access to the stora in this state.

Last resort, I pulled out the power cable!..amazing thing is that when reconnected, and the power button pressed once more, the box restarted as normal, and now I have access to the web UI.

with luck, I am in business. i can now consider getting a mirror hard drive.

thanks all for suggestions. No one answered my do you need to see the UI for mirror drive to be usefull question, but I guess that does not matter so much any more.

King Hilary.
Message 70 of 173
abcd1234
Novice

robyb wrote:
That's too long, you should consider re-flashing your device if the issue persists.

Cheers,
Roby!
Roby Thanks for the reply. I actually turn off the device & rerun the repair tool. My Stora started with 1.2 (145) firmware, after the rerun (took around 20 min this time) and change the firmware to 1.2.1 (149). Then I try to update the software via the web UI, took 4 go (check, download then apply, each go I have to turn off the unit otherwise it would not check for new software) before hbs5033's apply is success to 2.3.3 (271). Now it seems to be ok. Is 2.3.3 is the latest firmware with all bug fixed? Thansk abcd
Message 71 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

abcd1234 wrote:
Roby
Thanks for the reply. I actually turn off the device & rerun the repair tool. My Stora started with 1.2 (145) firmware, after the rerun (took around 20 min this time) and change the firmware to 1.2.1 (149). Then I try to update the software via the web UI, took 4 go (check, download then apply, each go I have to turn off the unit otherwise it would not check for new software) before hbs5033's apply is success to 2.3.3 (271). Now it seems to be ok.
Is 2.3.3 is the latest firmware with all bug fixed?
Thansk
abcd

Hello alphabet,

The email that came to me said that they had installed 2.5, so I am assuming that the latest number should be 2.5. But do see my post above about the difficulty on reboot.

Cheers,

KH
Message 72 of 173
abcd1234
Novice

KH, thanks for the info. I'll check post on 2.5 & difficulty on reboot. ABCD
Message 73 of 173
moorken
Aspirant

hmmmm, my provider is blocking every port under port 1024. any other options available now to fix it? i have exactly the same symptons as the other users here, so i'm pretty sure it would fix my problem, but unfortunately the connection doesnt come through 😞
Message 74 of 173
davef81
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Well I know what it's doing, since I wrote it. It loops through some file paths that we've found have been most problematic in having bad system files, and replaces them if that's the case. I run it on almost every Stora that requires my support, it hasn't caused problems yet... although it can't cure everything either since we only let it loop through "safe" directories.

If you still can't get remote access, ensure you don't have anything on your network blocking outgoing access to port 22 and 443. If you still can't access your Stora from the internet, email us at support@axentra.com with your Stora name, an admin username and password so we can investigate.

Cheers,
Roby!

I've probably voided my warranty however after running the repair tool to fix a file permission issue the blue flashing light went on for hours. I managed to get access to console to take a look to see what's going on.

The script seems to spawn many times and never seems to complete successfully filling up memory. I've tracked down the log file and it keeps looping with the following detail:

Checking for update...
Started: Fri Mar 18 16:09:01 EDT 2011
Searching for corrupt files...
Looking in /usr/lib..
Looking in /var/lib/rpm..
Looking in /lib..
Checking packages...
Deleted /tmp/eaccelerator files
Deleted /tmp/templates_c files
Set owner permissions on /tmp/templates_c
Set file permissions on /tmp/templates_c
Deleted /tmp/.temp.upload.file
Listing files in minions directory:
Removing files...
Files removed successfully.
chown: cannot access `/home/0common/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/0common/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
Stopping openvpn...
Openvpn stopped successfully.
Restarting access-patrol...
Access-patrol restarted successfully.
No stale jobs found
ls: /core*: No such file or directory
Informing update server
Content-type: text/plain

Now whenever I reboot the Stora it contacts the update server and the whole process starts again. I wish I never used the repair tool as it's causing more headaches than solving problems.
Message 75 of 173
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7