× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

ossienet
Aspirant

Re: Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

robyb wrote:
Try the hard reset once more, I've solved this error with it before.

Cheers,
Roby!

OK now it just gets stuck on Administrator Account Creation page.

Unable to open Explorer window to Stora.

I can login thru Stora Agent but then QuickConnect gets error 80040154

Previously I could access Stora and files, but just not adminster via the web interface. Now I can't do anything!
Message 26 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

ossienet wrote:
OK now it just gets stuck on Administrator Account Creation page.

Unable to open Explorer window to Stora.

I can login thru Stora Agent but then QuickConnect gets error 80040154

Previously I could access Stora and files, but just not adminster via the web interface. Now I can't do anything!

You won't be able to do anything if you can't complete configuration. Describe how yo uare "stuck" on the Admin account creation page please.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 27 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
You won't be able to do anything if you can't complete configuration. Describe how yo uare "stuck" on the Admin account creation page please.

Cheers,
Roby!

1. Hard reset.

2. Run the Stora Setup Software.

3. On the Admin Account creation page I enter my username and password, Click 'Next' and then nothing happens ... the next page never loads ... left it for several hours ???

4. Ran the recovery process and returned to the previous state of "Page 3 of the reset wizard does not exist".

5. Hard reset ... lather , rinse, repeat!
Message 28 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

All of this concerns me greatly.

I had the very same could not find page three of the wizard message when I tried to reset the Stora, because I could not get the machine to be seen by the computer.

I spent a day back and forth to support before they sent me back to the store to pick up another unit. I could not interface with the second unit either, but I found that I could access it through my wired LAN.

I am scared to try a reset, because the Stora now does most of what I would like it to, namely keep my photos and music available even when the computer is off.

However, I have no remote access, and I cannot do anything to the stora settings, like administer power control. I was going to try the diagnostic that you have indicated here, but if there is any chance that I will kill the Stora in doing it, then I don't want to even try,.

I repeat, the support team could not help me get past the cannot find "page three of the Wisard" and did not seem to know what it meant. I had a 140km round trip to the retail store to replace my Stora and some hassle.

If someone could be more specific as to why these Stora's don't work, I would be glad to hear it.

King Hilary.
Message 29 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

oh happy days.

this new stora can be accessed by my old DSM320rd medialounge, which lets me watch movies (with some restrictions) on the bedroom TV. I still don't know why I have no remote or other access to the box... but if I can use my medialounge now, I am even more reluctant to try any reset that might break it.

Has anybody figured out what the diagnostic tool is doing, and whether it will be a help or a disaster if I try it?

Thanks,

King Hilary.
Message 30 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

Well I know what it's doing, since I wrote it. It loops through some file paths that we've found have been most problematic in having bad system files, and replaces them if that's the case. I run it on almost every Stora that requires my support, it hasn't caused problems yet... although it can't cure everything either since we only let it loop through "safe" directories.

If you still can't get remote access, ensure you don't have anything on your network blocking outgoing access to port 22 and 443. If you still can't access your Stora from the internet, email us at support@axentra.com with your Stora name, an admin username and password so we can investigate.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 31 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

Hello Roby.

I bought a netgear WNDR 3700 router at the same time as the stora. How do I check whether those ports are open or blocked. I have not myself configured anything to block them in setting up the network together with the stora, but there must be some way to tell if there is a block, I assume.

Thanks for your help. Do you know if I would need to access the stora if I were to add a second drive to mirror the first, or would simply pushing it in be enough? As I have mentioned, not being able to access the stora is not currently preventing me from using it.

Still, it would be nice to have it functioning correctly, and not be afraid to turn off the power.

Again thanks,

KH.
Message 32 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Well I know what it's doing, since I wrote it. It loops through some file paths that we've found have been most problematic in having bad system files, and replaces them if that's the case. I run it on almost every Stora that requires my support, it hasn't caused problems yet... although it can't cure everything either since we only let it loop through "safe" directories.

If you still can't get remote access, ensure you don't have anything on your network blocking outgoing access to port 22 and 443. If you still can't access your Stora from the internet, email us at support@axentra.com with your Stora name, an admin username and password so we can investigate.

Cheers,
Roby!

So is this tool only good for Storas that have already been properly configured in the first place?
It seems I never got my Stora completely configured - even though I can access it from the LAN - I have never been able to access it via Internet.
I still get the "Page 3 of Wizard does not exist" whenever I try to configure the Stora.
I can no longer do a Hard Reset - see my post in the 'Hard Reset' Thread.
Is there any way I can force a firmware upgrade or refresh to get over this hump? It's a fairly new Stora.
Message 33 of 173
sillyname
Aspirant

@ossienet,
Did you contact support? That is your best shot at repairs to your Stora.
There are ways to manually upgrade the firmware, which could be an option, perhaps after you ask Roby for support/repairs.
Message 34 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

ossienet wrote:
So is this tool only good for Storas that have already been properly configured in the first place?
It seems I never got my Stora completely configured - even though I can access it from the LAN - I have never been able to access it via Internet.
I still get the "Page 3 of Wizard does not exist" whenever I try to configure the Stora.
Is there any way I can force a firmware upgrade or refresh to get over this hump? It's a fairly new Stora.

This is exactly my worry.

Ossienet, can youinterface with your stora? Like you, I can access the shared folders on the Stora through my LAN, but I cannot see th UI. The ip address does not work, my computer just says address could not be found when I attempt to access the device.

Cheers,

KH
Message 35 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

ossienet wrote:

If the Stora isn't configured, trying to apply the update won't work. For your particular case , the "Page 3 of Wizard does not exist" problem, this tool won't help. If you can't hard reset, there is something wrong with the Stora, please contact Netgear, they may need to RMA the device.
Message 36 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

KingHilary wrote:

Ossienet, can youinterface with your stora? Like you, I can access the shared folders on the Stora through my LAN, but I cannot see th UI. The ip address does not work, my computer just says address could not be found when I attempt to access the device.

Cheers,

KH

Your issue will most likely be resolved by running the selfcheck tool.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 37 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

sillyname wrote:
@ossienet,
Did you contact support? That is your best shot at repairs to your Stora.
There are ways to manually upgrade the firmware, which could be an option, perhaps after you ask Roby for support/repairs.

Thanks - I will do that and advise progress.

KingHilary wrote:

I can interface with Stora via the LAN, but not via WAN/Internet.
I can see the UI but I get the "page 3 of wizard" message.
The IP address works, as does \\stora if accessed via the LAN.
Also, when going thru mystora.com (WAN/Internet) it DOES get routed to the correct IP address, but it doesn't find my Stora ... so my Stora must be at least partially configured. But I can't get into any of the configuration options.
Message 38 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

All right then, I am trying the diagnositic and repair tool.

I rebooted by holding the back power button for the five seconds... turned off.... turned on... and watched those lights blinking.

When all was steady green and blue again, I went to mystora.com. I then entered the login details for my stora. after a long while this brought me to a page that said configuring your stora, and asked for the username and password again.

I typed these in. The next page was called HISE-Setup wizard at the address http://192.168.1.30/admin/wizards/setup/wrapper. This remained for a long time before I eventually got a message saying that internet explorer could not display the web page.

At this time I am no farther ahead. I can still see the stora on the LAN. I do not see the stora UI, but I can access media through the LAN.

I am not sure that I did the reboot correctly; should I try this again? What exactly is the reboot step. I thought that it was holding the power button for 5 seconds.

at least there is no "page 3 is missing" message.

thanks for all of your help.

King Hilary.
Message 39 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

KingHilary wrote:
. after a long while this brought me to a page that said configuring your stora, and asked for the username and password again.

I typed these in. The next page was called HISE-Setup wizard at the address http://192.168.1.30/admin/wizards/setup/wrapper. This remained for a long time before I eventually got a message saying that internet explorer could not display the web page.

At this time I am no farther ahead. I can still see the stora on the LAN. I do not see the stora UI, but I can access media through the LAN.

I had the same problem. Turned out to be due to ports not being open and mapped correctly on my router. From memory it's ports 20, 21, 22, 80 and 443? The Stora attempts to do this via UPNP but I think you can do it manually if the UPNP doesn't work.
Message 40 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

Those are some fine numbers Ossienet... but I am not particularly clear on what is meant by ports, and how to open or map them. I have a WNDR3700 router that I bought along with the stora. I would have assumed that they could work well together.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more specifically how to open and map ports?

The netgear router has offered a firmware update when I log into its UI. I have been afraid to do this before I understand more completely what is going on. I don't want to lose my internet connection as well.

thanks in advance for your helpful consideration.

King Hilary.
Message 41 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

KingHilary wrote:
Those are some fine numbers Ossienet... but I am not particularly clear on what is meant by ports, and how to open or map them. I have a WNDR3700 router that I bought along with the stora. I would have assumed that they could work well together.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more specifically how to open and map ports?

The netgear router has offered a firmware update when I log into its UI. I have been afraid to do this before I understand more completely what is going on. I don't want to lose my internet connection as well.

thanks in advance for your helpful consideration.

King Hilary.

I'm not familiar with your router and yes, you would expect it to work with your Stora. There's a guide to port mapping at http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WNDR3700/WNDR3700index.htm

If the firmware upgrade is a genuine one for your model then you would be well advised to apply it - it may even fix your problem. Save your router settings first and then reapply them after the firmware upgrade. You should not lose your Internet connection except for a few minutes.

Of course, port mapping may not be your problem - but I had a very similar problem to yours which was solved by fixing the port mapping.

If you are not confident with this, then you should probably go back to where you bought your Stora and router for advice.
Message 42 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

Sorry - ignore that link I just posted and try Googling "port forwarding WNDR3700" for info on how to configure your router. or RTFM?
Message 43 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

The firmware upgrade of the router did not change anything. I have logged a support request with the stora name, user name and password included, but I have not received any reply so far.

To reiterate the problem: If I click on the Navigate to my stora icon on the desktop, I get a webpage asking me to login to the stora. The page already has the name of the Stora and I add the USER NAME AND PASSWORD. When I press login, I can hear the Stora drive start to spin. The web page then sits at a please wait while logging in, which stays for a long time before I get another page that says welcome to your home stora and asks for the login details again.

I add these and press login. The next page to come up says "configuring your Stora", it hangs there. The browser tab is labelled HISE-Setup Wizard 1.5.

The stora hard drive continues to spin, but nothing ever happens from that point on. This is my problem.
Message 44 of 173
KingHilary
Aspirant

Just to finish up the story.

After a long time, the white box next to the configuring your stora on that page says "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage"
"What you can try" with a box that reads "diagnose connection problems"

Pressing this never helps me at all.

Thank you in advance for your helpful suggestions,

King Hilary
Message 45 of 173
syhr
Aspirant

I attempted to run the self diagnostic by clicking on the link and continually get redirected to a page that times out. Here is the link given by OP

http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/ and enter your Product Key, then follow the instructions.

I am using a MAC with OSX 10.4.11 Tiger. When I run the Desktop Mirror I get warnings for System Library and Users Folders that the files are out of date.

Do I still need to run this? I bought and installed my STORA just several days ago and performed all suggested updates. Why is this still happening? If needed how do I get this to run?

Thank you
rhys
Message 46 of 173
pablitobs
Aspirant

Hello, the links provided on this thread, is broken, could someone provide another one please.

I really need this selfcheck tool.

thanks
Message 47 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

pablitobs wrote:
Hello, the links provided on this thread, is broken, could someone provide another one please.

I really need this selfcheck tool.

thanks

Link is up and active, it works fine. *just checked*

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 48 of 173
dorsetweevil
Aspirant

What should we do when we've carefully followed all the forum advice, run the selfcheck (several times) done all the suggested re-starting and re-downloading, emailed required info to Axentra, but still had no reply, and still have a partially-dead Stora? I WANT my Stora working, or to be able to retreive my data at least, but I'm being backed into a corner by lack of support, leaving me the last option of returning the faulty unit.

If anyone official is interested...
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61912
Message 49 of 173
rsinj
Guide

dorsetweevil wrote:
What should we do when we've carefully followed all the forum advice, run the selfcheck (several times) done all the suggested re-starting and re-downloading, emailed required info to Axentra, but still had no reply, and still have a partially-dead Stora? I WANT my Stora working, or to be able to retreive my data at least, but I'm being backed into a corner by lack of support, leaving me the last option of returning the faulty unit.

If anyone official is interested...
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61912

mj has provided good info previously regarding mounting the Stora drive on his windows machine.

To get your data you need this or something similar:

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
Message 50 of 173
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7