× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

robyb
Aspirant

Re: Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

davef81 wrote:
I've probably voided my warranty however after running the repair tool to fix a file permission issue the blue flashing light went on for hours. I managed to get access to console to take a look to see what's going on.

The script seems to spawn many times and never seems to complete successfully filling up memory. I've tracked down the log file and it keeps looping with the following detail:

Checking for update...
Started: Fri Mar 18 16:09:01 EDT 2011
Searching for corrupt files...
Looking in /usr/lib..
Looking in /var/lib/rpm..
Looking in /lib..
Checking packages...
Deleted /tmp/eaccelerator files
Deleted /tmp/templates_c files
Set owner permissions on /tmp/templates_c
Set file permissions on /tmp/templates_c
Deleted /tmp/.temp.upload.file
Listing files in minions directory:
Removing files...
Files removed successfully.
chown: cannot access `/home/0common/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/0common/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyComputers/*': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/[removed]/MyLibrary/*': No such file or directory
Stopping openvpn...
Openvpn stopped successfully.
Restarting access-patrol...
Access-patrol restarted successfully.
No stale jobs found
ls: /core*: No such file or directory
Informing update server
Content-type: text/plain

Now whenever I reboot the Stora it contacts the update server and the whole process starts again. I wish I never used the repair tool as it's causing more headaches than solving problems.

Then you should do a factory reflash. It's normal for your Stora to search for an update every time it boots, but the selfcheck update will only be downloaded once, unless you keep going to the selfcheck site and entering your product key before each reboot.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 76 of 173
davef81
Aspirant

I e-mailed support@axentra.com to ask about the problem also. They confirmed there was an issue with the tool that has now been fixed. My Stora no longer goes into this constant loop.
Message 77 of 173
Dees7
Aspirant

I typed the SN on the http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/.
After that I saw a message "you must restart the NAS for a firmware update".But I do not want firmware update. how can I to cancel it?
Message 78 of 173
pixeldog
Aspirant

I moved my Stora five feet to the right a month ago and the drive can't be found ever again. This self Diagnostic does nothing. I've tried to get support for a month - no response.

The Stora is only two months old and I bought it to protect again drive failure - ironic.
I'm going for RMA this week after it eat all my photos.
Message 79 of 173
wolfgetto
Aspirant

My Stora worked fine for a year or so and now does not boot up.

I have entered my product code at http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/ and get the message:

"Please reboot your device for the diagnostics and repair update to be applied. Once the Stora is powered on, wait for the power LED to stop blinking then power off the Stora again by holding the power button for 5 seconds. Power on the Stora one more time and wait for the power LED to stop blinking. Login and verify the behavior, if the issue persists please contact Netgear Support."

However I cannot proceed any further because my Stora never gets to the point of a steady power LED.

Instead the disk LED lights green and steady. But the power LED pulses every second from OFF to BLUE FLICKER. The blue flicker never stops.

The boot up gets as far as obtaining an IP address from my Belkin wireless router - e.g. StoraRamFS 192.168.2.4.
Message 80 of 173
wolfgetto
Aspirant

wolfgetto wrote:
My Stora worked fine for a year or so and now does not boot up.

I have entered my product code at http://support.netgear.hipserv.com/updates/selfcheck/ and get the message:

Instead the disk LED lights green and steady. But the power LED pulses every second from OFF to BLUE FLICKER. The blue flicker never stops.

The boot up gets as far as obtaining an IP address from my Belkin wireless router - e.g. StoraRamFS 192.168.2.4.

Also, while in this boot state (blue flicker) I cannot turn off the power without pulling the cable - i.e. even up to 30s press on power switch will not power down.
Message 81 of 173
biggerdime
Aspirant

My Stora has also decided to give up after about 9 months now.
I get the Blue flashing light and two solid green lights.

I have done the 'Hard Reset' and eventually it gets back to a solid blue light, but the Stora cannot be accessed and also cannot be pinged and is bacially not visible on the network (other devices are such as printers, etc).

Also then removed the drives and did the reflash. Interestingly once it gets the IP and the HDD lights are alternate blinking during the reflash, i can ping it OK. Then it gets to the en, all lights come on and then all go out, indicating successful reflash..........but then the blue blinking light of death returns to haunt me.....and it no longer pings.

Basically Stora has got 48hrs to live as my wife's university course work is on there and i'm seriously in danger of losing my life at the moment, so any words of wisdom would be usefult right now. Otherwise i'm off to get a SATA-USB connector and UFS Explorer software to manually get all the files back and then Stora will be in the bin, as this happened before but a reflash/hard reser worked that time, but not this time.
Message 82 of 173
dit
Aspirant
Aspirant

Before I run this repair tool I thought I'd ask if this would solve the problem I am encountering on my MS2000 device.

The device works for a period of time following powering on, can connect to it without any problems on my local network via the mapped drives or using the web interface. However after leaving the device on all night when i restart any of my other PC's on my network the mapped drives fail and I get a pop-up stating "I might need to restart my Stora device". If I do this via the power button, holding it for 10seconds approx to power off and then restarting it the mapped drives work again.

The other issue I have is connecting to it via the mystora.com site from work I get a pop-up stating "File system error". After this I can still browse the drives and I can see the folders but once inside a folder with items in I get a continual rotating device in place of each file and am unable to do anything with these.

For information, I got the device from eBay with a formatted 500Gb drive, first install worked perfectly and I was extremely happy, these problems didn't begin until the device had been left on overnight and I was trying to access it the following day.

Any advice as to whether the repair tool could resolve the above issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dit
Message 83 of 173
robman50
Aspirant

[QUOTE=robyb;306384
- No www access to your Stora
- No samba access to your Stora
- Your Stora doesn't appear in your UPnP DLNA client
- Bad file permissions (can't be seen in web UI)
![/QUOTE]
Will this also fix my problem which is the LAN does not become active so their is no link between the Stora and the router?
Also when my Stora did work windows showed 'STORA' and STORA2' is that normal?
Other than that this seems like a very usuful tool to use. But in order for it to work does the 'Remote Management' setting have to be enabled?
Message 84 of 173
rsinj
Guide

robman50 wrote:
Will this also fix my problem which is the LAN does not become active so their is no link between the Stora and the router?
Also when my Stora did work windows showed 'STORA' and STORA2' is that normal?
Other than that this seems like a very usuful tool to use. But in order for it to work does the 'Remote Management' setting have to be enabled?

- Reflashing fixes everything - puts you back to suare one.
- STORA and STORA2 are normal - STORA2 needed for some reason for a backup program if I remember correctly.
- Remote Management - if you are outside of your home and connect through mystora.com (premium subscription) if you want to allow administration. Not a requirement for it to work - though can be useful.
Message 85 of 173
TNA
Tutor
Tutor

I was unable to apply the updates to my stora, so I run this tool. Now every time I log in, I go to a blank white page!

I tried hard resetting it, still same thing. So now my stora is useless...

Please help. Will email you guys also now 😞
Message 86 of 173
TNA
Tutor
Tutor

Just spend 30 minutes on the phone (4 different people) to be told that after 3 months to have access to an engineer I have to subscribe (pay) to have access to an engineer over the phone. lol. Why was I not told that by the first person? Wasted my time and money... :mad:

Poor... poor service. Now I have to either get help here (wait forever) or email someone at my.netgear.com (1-2 days) just to get my netgear working 😞

Right now I feel like taking my stora (no hdd's inside at the moment) then take a hammer, go outside, smash the bloody thing into pieces and never again buy from netgear 😞
Message 87 of 173
sillyname
Aspirant

If you don't have any hard drives installed, then you will not be able to apply any upgrades.
The upgrades need the extra storage space in order to install. Once installed the space is reclaimed.

You will probably need to use the recovery procedure, but you must be running FW version 2.3.2 or greater and have one hard drive installed.
Message 88 of 173
TNA
Tutor
Tutor

sillyname wrote:
If you don't have any hard drives installed, then you will not be able to apply any upgrades.
The upgrades need the extra storage space in order to install. Once installed the space is reclaimed.

You will probably need to use the recovery procedure, but you must be running FW version 2.3.2 or greater and have one hard drive installed.

Too much hasstle for me. Just going to bin it. All this should be made more simple. There certainly should be no need for another hdd.
Message 89 of 173
Jim_Giordano
Aspirant

The product code is on the back of the unit.
Message 90 of 173
martynxl
Aspirant

I setup my Stora a few months ago and everything was working fine until a week ago when I lost access. The blue light was flashing for one second, so I followed the instructions to re-flash the Stora and that solved the problem of the flashing lights.

I have also downloaded the Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool.

When I try to login, I get the following message:

"Local connection to Stora impossible. Do you want to try a remote connection instead?"

The only way I can get a logon page is by choosing the option,"Open Stora application"

When I try to logon, I get the message:

"Your Stora device is not currently accessible.
This may be for several reasons:
• Your Stora device is not powered on
• Your Stora device does not have access to the Internet
• Your router or ISP is not allowing Internet traffic to your Stora"

When I did a port forwarding check, none of the 4 ports were forwarding but I have modified my router settings so that ports 22, 443 and 80 are open.

I am using a Netgear DG834G router.

Should I perform a hard reset?
Message 91 of 173
tomsa
Aspirant

Nothings works all ports are closed

Port 21 (FTP access): This port is blocked.
Port 22 (Support): This port is blocked.
Port 443 (Secure Web access): This port is blocked.
Port 80 (Web access): This port is blocked.

Ive shut down the windows 7 64bit firewall but also made rules to open ports

ive made rules to my avast firewall

it all worked fine before with win vista

ive tried the zyuxel modem to fix and open

Nothing works!!
Message 92 of 173
gtmr
Aspirant

How do I get the self diagnostic tool? Where do I get a product key?
Message 93 of 173
ossienet
Aspirant

gtmr wrote:
How do I get the self diagnostic tool? Where do I get a product key?

There is a link to the tool at the beginning of this thread.
Your product key is on the bottom of your Stora. Also on the cover of the CD that came with your Stora.
Message 94 of 173
gtmr
Aspirant

Found my product key, ran the diagnostic and still having the same problem. Solid blue for the power and orange for the disk drives.

still can't access the disk drives.
Message 95 of 173
Manhole
Aspirant

How long should you expect the diagnostic process to last? Mine has been going on for four hours now and I'm suspecting it to be hanging
Message 96 of 173
robyb
Aspirant

Manhole wrote:
How long should you expect the diagnostic process to last? Mine has been going on for four hours now and I'm suspecting it to be hanging

Yes it must be stuck, re-flash instead.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 97 of 173
Manhole
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
Yes it must be stuck, re-flash instead.

Cheers,
Roby!

Thanks Roby but fortunatly I didn't need to. I rebooted the thing and when it was up and running again it worked beautifully. For about a year ago it stopped accessing the web-interface no matter what browser I used and what OS I've been on, but was copping since the mapping worked out well, but then I came across this forum and the self-diagnosticing tool and now it's perfect again, just applied the new firmware. Great christmas present for me I guess 🙂

Thanks again for great help in here, not just now 😉

Mike
Message 98 of 173
vojtak
Aspirant

I followed the instruction, but the process do`t finish for 24 hours. I made reset, stora is now runnig and read and write data on this. But when I try "Open stora application from Stora Agent, I get "Internal error 500". So I can`t administrate this. Can You reccomend me some solution of this problem?
Message 99 of 173
jayvalwa
Novice

I know how to power down, but what is the reboot button??
Message 100 of 173
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7