× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

manoranjan
Aspirant

Re: Stora Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool

I'm really considering about developing botnet from Stora models - they needs to be linked to web as well as its so simple to spoof product keys/login credentials to get root access.

automateandvalidate
Message 126 of 173
RENEAPC
Aspirant

I have the a problem for the last year or so, I was updating the stora software and then i close the page on the explorer and ever after I never could acces the web interface, I can access the folders via ftp and map hard drivers too, But I am so afraid of loosing all my information that I want to back it all up before I do something major fix I have 2 HD of 1 tera each, mirror , My question also is I used to have a several user names and after that I only able to login as admin, since I can Create or modify users, I may need to call support for help!!! I am a big fan of stora even thou. Let's see .... is there someone out there that experience something like this before?.. i would like to hear some advices.. thanks rene.
Message 127 of 173
unimark
Aspirant

Hi all. Last night my drive stopped responding so I restarted it and it booted up with blue and 2 amber lights.
I went through the following steps:

- Reset by holding in the pin at the back until I got 6 separate light flashes.
- Ran the Stora set up again and entered the same details as before for the Stora name and log in.
- This allowed me to load up the Stora browser application and log in. It detected the hard drives and asked which way I wanted to format them alerting that either way would erase all data. I canceled this and my Stora was still blue and 2 ambers.
- After reading this thread I ran the repair utility overnight. By morning the blue light was still flickering so I powered down and powered up anyway. No change, still blue and 2 ambers and no access to the hard drives.

Any help with this would be great.
Message 128 of 173
fordomatic69
Aspirant

I have a backup that is stuck in the "Cancelling" status and I tried the Repair tool with no luck. I sent an email to support and I am waiting to hear back.
Message 129 of 173
gazzabhoy
Aspirant

Hi,

I used this tool as I was getting the System proxy error, error. when it re-booted first time it was stuck on flashing blue light and both drives were solid orange.

I pulled the power as that was the only way out, I then removed the drives and re-started. this looked good or so I thought as I was able to log back in but when I re-inserted my known good drive, I am left with disk status as unused.

This has left me very worried about my data that is on this drive. What will happen if I click configure which is my only option available? Why does the Stora not automatically see the data that it could see on it before I ran the tool?

My history to the reason I decided to use the Tool is here http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=83730 - no replies

All replies welcome
Message 130 of 173
stuarty1874
Aspirant

Any idea why it tells me my product key is invalid... I have located in from under my stora and from the web interface?
Message 131 of 173
Southkil
Aspirant

Have you got the cd sleeve? If so, use that key, it might be different from the others.

🙂
Message 132 of 173
blackout
Aspirant

Is this procedure safe for the data stored on the disks?
I just have a firmware update problem but data are still accessible.
Can I go throught the procedure without backuping 1TB of data? ...
Message 133 of 173
Southkil
Aspirant

This is fine for your data. All this procedure does is repair system files that may have become damaged/corrupt. :)
Message 134 of 173
blackout
Aspirant

Mmmm. Done it right (I think). But nothing has changed: data are still accessible by SAMBA share (from my linux notebook) but not from PS3 and other media boxes UPNP capable and no more http access (blank page).
tried connecting via ssh and it is OK. I can see files but manual update with latest firmware is impossible since last automated one that failed.
Changing to 5042 was fine but it discovered right after a new one: 5043 (surprisingly) and this one has failed, putting the mess on the device. I just wanted to see if a firmware upgrade will correct the following bug: when adding files with my linux computer (via SAMBA share), I can't see them in the file list via my UPNP boxes. I must reboot the STORA (which is time consuming and not user friendly). Any idea to repair?
Message 135 of 173
Southkil
Aspirant

Do the reflash procedure. Follow the stick for this and you'll have no problems. :)
Message 136 of 173
hamping23
Novice

Hi,
Could you help me.

My Stora suddenly malfunctioned after a number of blissful months of trouble free operation.

After a boot, the blue light flashes about 8 times and goes off and repeats cyclically.

The green light is solid.

I cannot clean SSH into the device but I can ping it. Certainly doesn't appear on a network.

I have applied this tool twice , but it does not help. Same result.

Is there anything that can be done other than a clean flash?

I would really like to avoid my data being marked as bad with a reflash and having to rebuild every package that is installed on it.

Many thanks
Fezz
Message 137 of 173
evendine
Aspirant

I have a problem with file ownership which has occurred since I reorganized (moved) some directories and files under Family Library using the web-interface. It means that I can't copy new files into the existing folder structure, or modify the existing structure via Windows explorer, although I can still read the files and move them via the web-interface. This is only the case for items which have previously been moved using the web interface.

Folders and files created via Windows Explorer have group\owner set to 'STORA\' and are fully accessible through WE. The problem files / folders have group\owner set to 'Unix User\apache'. Clearly, the files have inherited ownership from the Stora's web-server.

My question is, will the Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool fix this issue, or if not, does anyone know of an alternative approach? Also, what are the risks to my data if I run the Repair Tool and is there any way to prevent the original problem reoccurring?
Message 138 of 173
evendine
Aspirant

I have a problem with file ownership which has occurred since I reorganized (moved) some directories and files under Family Library using the web-interface. It means that I can't copy new files into the existing folder structure, or modify the existing structure via Windows Explorer, although I can still read the files and move them via the web-interface. This is only the case for items which have previously been moved using the web interface.

Folders and files created via Windows Explorer have group\owner set to 'STORA\' and are fully accessible through WE. The problem files / folders have group\owner set to 'Unix User\apache' - clearly, they have inherited ownership from the Stora's web-server.

My question is, will the Self Diagnostic and Repair Tool fix this issue, or if not, does anyone know of an alternative approach? Also, what are the risks to my data if I run the Repair Tool and is there any way to prevent the original problem reoccurring?
Message 139 of 173
esan6
Aspirant

So I ran your diagnostic tool to see if it would allow me to update software and add users to my Stora, but alas no I can't access the device or reset it. looks like i have a dud, please assist me if possible with a solution I have tried customer service but get nowhere with them.
I now have the power led rapid blink and can't do anything else with the device. before i used the diagnostic tool I could at least get ti the device via the web. now nothing.
Message 140 of 173
olivierdb
Aspirant

The power (blue) LED has been blinking for almost 24 hours since I started the self check procedure! Is this normal?! How long is the whole procedure supposed to last?
Message 141 of 173
olivierdb
Aspirant

It's been 48 hrs now and the power (blue) LED is still blinking! The Self Diagnostic & Repair Tool seems to be buggy to say the least! What do I do now?!
Message 142 of 173
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi,

Pull the plug and do a reflash. Follow the sticky.

🙂
Message 143 of 173
klacirtg
Onlooker

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum and excuse if I am not exact in English 😮
First at all I wish a very Happy New Year to all of us.
And of course my problem...I bought a used Stora in a very good condition, I installed everything as described but (of course) 1. Torrent port (51413) is closed. 2. I cannot access Stora from WEB. Of course I run the Self diagnostic tool.
I have a CISCO cable modem-router I think I have done every step which is written here and elsewhere...Lets see: 1. UPNP enabling 2. FTP enable 3. LAN settings with static IP 4. Remote acces enabled 5. Torrent secvice enabled 6. On the router UPNP enabled 7. Port forwarding settings (The first is for my laptop downloading torrents,) 8. DMZ disabled 9. Test says that port 21 is in use by another device even if I shut down the torrent laptop Firewalls are off... What am I have to do, what was forgotten ?
Message 144 of 173
klacirtg
Onlooker

I am sad... 😞 Nobody can help me? During these days I have tried almost everything what I had read here and elsewhere but without solution. Still I cannot reach my Stora from outside the WEB: Mystora.com says Stora is Offline, not accesible...Here is the port forwarding test:

You have 3 out of 4 ports open (going to your Stora from the Internet).
Your External IP Address is: XX.X.XXX.201
Port 21 (FTP access): A device other than your Stora is listening on this port.
Port 22 (Support): This port is open / accessible from the internet.
Port 443 (Secure Web access): This port is open / accessible from the internet.
Port 80 (Web access): This port is open / accessible from the internet.

I know that is Port 21 responsible for FTP, but why not reach the WEB, only by torrent?
Stora is connected directly to the Cisco cable modem-router, the other devices are connected to an 8 port switch.
Now I did a hard reset...it did not helped. From my inside network every device can communicate with Stora.
By now I am absolute adviceless and frustrated. :confused:
I would be very grateful if somebody could help me.
Message 145 of 173
Southkil
Aspirant

Hi,

If you have port forwarded on your router you can disable upnp on the Stora.

As this is a used Stora, I would do a reflash and setup again, from fresh. You can either setup a static ip on the stora or reserve an ip on the router in the dchp table. Turn off upnp on the stora and manually port forward on the router.

See how that goes for starters.

Cheers.
🙂

Ps, I wouldn't worry about your English, it's better than mine! 🙂
Message 146 of 173
klacirtg
Onlooker

Southkil wrote:
Hi,

If you have port forwarded on your router you can disable upnp on the Stora.

As this is a used Stora, I would do a reflash and setup again, from fresh. You can either setup a static ip on the stora or reserve an ip on the router in the dchp table. Turn off upnp on the stora and manually port forward on the router.

See how that goes for starters.

Cheers.
🙂

Ps, I wouldn't worry about your English, it's better than mine! 🙂

I even cannot tell my happyness, that You answered to me 🙂
So: I disabled UPnP on Stora, gave it a static IP. Enabled Remote control. Enabled both FTP. Enabled Torrent. Port forwarded on the router. No internet connection.
And for this reason I do not know how to reflash Stora, because it cannot go to the internet for the new firmware...
Now how am I to continue...? :rolleyes:
Message 147 of 173
Southkil
Aspirant

follow the sticky on how to reflash your stora. by following the instructions, the stora will connect to the internet and get a nice fresh copy of it's firmware.

🙂
Message 148 of 173
klacirtg
Onlooker

Southkil wrote:
follow the sticky on how to reflash your stora. by following the instructions, the stora will connect to the internet and get a nice fresh copy of it's firmware.

🙂

Okay, when I get home I will try the reflash process and after it I will inform You about the results :eek:

Thanks, Laci
Message 149 of 173
klacirtg
Onlooker

klacirtg wrote:
Okay, when I get home I will try the reflash process and after it I will inform You about the results :eek:

Hello my friend, Southkil!

I have got over the scary reflashing 🙂
Now it seems to me that I can see my Stora from Mystora.com, hallelujah! 😄
For this reason (do not touch what is working :rolleyes: ) I do not dare to change settings, so Stora configures router via UPnP without port forwarding. Earlier You said to disable this on Stora and forward ports on the router. If I want to to so, exactly how many and which ports should be forwarding (e.g. 20, 21, 22, 80, 443, 9091 ? )

I have a "TO DO" list still:

1. With this reflashing I lost the torrent ability, too...
2. Later I would like to replace HDD-s to 2 x 3 TB... (sweet dreams 🙂 )

I wait and accept Your advices, I see you are professional !

Thanks for Your kindness, Laci.
Message 150 of 173
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7