× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stora does not go into sleep / standby

halus
Aspirant

Stora does not go into sleep / standby

The previous thread was closed so I start a new one.

Several users had the problem that the stora never went into sleep mode, even if it's supposed to do so.

It was suggested that according to the manual, Stora will go to sleep in 12 minutes.

However, the main problem is not that the Stora does not enter sleep mode, the main problem is that the disc activity never stops, even if the Stora is not in use, not connected to the network and not backing up.

In my case, I have mirror raid, and the discs used to enter sleep mode, but at some point they stopped doing this. A hard reset seems to maybe have solved the problem, but after some weeks or months, without much use of the Stora, it starts being active again, with only a few seconds in between disc activity, also when not in use and not connected.

I use the latest firmware. It's a netgear Stora.

Anyone knows which processes are likely to cause this? I use the hipserv cloud. I don't use backup.

Anyone has any ideas?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a summary of the old thread.

oneerc Occasional Contributor
Stora won't go into sleep mode
Options

‎2015-06-22 01:31 PM

I have two Stora's. One sleeps, the other does not. I don't know where this is controlled. The one that doesn't has 2 ED Red 2T drives set up in mirroring mode. I feel like it used to sleep but now doesn't. Could it be because I set a schedule for the unit to reboot itself once a week? Anyway, I worry that the drives are constantly running and will not last. Thanks.

halus Occasional Contributor

‎2015-08-16 07:17 AM

I have the same propblem. In another thread, someone suggested it started after he/she started with backups to external drive. I have the feeling the problem started before i started with backups but not sure.

Also, the disks are workig a lot all the time, even when i don't use the stora.

I formatted the disks (mirror-raid) and copied the content into them again, but they still kept on working all the time without stop.

I hard reset the stora. Then the disks stopped working continously (but they still work fine) But the stora still does not go into sleep mode after 15 minutes. (The content is still on the stora after the hard rest).

The conclusion is at least that a hard reset fixed most of my problems but not the sleep problem.

Also when i unplug the ethernet cable from the stora, it does not go to sleep after 15 min. Do anybody know if a fully functinal stora would go to sleep without LAN or if it would not?

Did you find any answers to this?

halus Occasional Contributor

‎2015-08-23 01:16 PM

Ok, I need to modify my answer slightly.

After formatting the disks, the stora did still not go into sleep

Then i reset the device, then it did go into sleep, but when i added the non-admin user accound the trouble started. I copied some hundreds of data back onto the NAS. I use mirror raid.  Now it does not go into sleep, but maybe it just needs another week to settle.

I am not sure if the formatting was necessary, but it was at least not sufficient to enable sleep mode again. Anyway, Formatting and hard resetting the Stora seemed to make it work perfectly normal again, including being able to sleep again.

But after finishing copying one terrabyte of data into it, it needs many days before the disks in the nas starts to calm down.

Can someone please tell me what it's doing? Does it first copy all data onto one disk, and then use the next days to copy it to the other HDD? Or is it doing indexing or something else?

The activity of the NAS is not because i use it. Also when i unplug it from the network, it's still highly active.

I have no backup schedules. The external disk was disconnected after copying files to the stora

But it seems that after some days, the activity in the nas slowly reduces. But it still does not go into sleep mode. And the activity of the NAS seems to never stop completely. The light flashes at least every second. What process is running and causing this???

nhann

‎2015-08-28 03:19 PM

The Stora should automatically spin down after 12 minutes. It also has the Power Timer feature which is detailed on page 111 of 157

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/Stora_UM_26May11.pdf

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
halus
Aspirant

Hi

I don't remember if it was the same with previous firmware, I have been using this firmware, which is also the latest, for severla years. I don't think the problem startet at the same time as an update.

I did try to reflash the Stora once, I don't remember the procedure but think i was holding in the start button at startup, for a long time, and i think then it downloads firmware and flashes itself.

But i think i found a clue, i deleted a few folders and files. After that it seemed to suddenly work fine for the first time in months. Maybe something stopped it from doing a mirror?  Maybe file names or paths were too long or a file was corrupted? I don't know why, but some days ago when i deleted a file an folder, Stora started working as it should

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @halus,

1. Was this the case even with the previous firmware?

2. Have you tried reflashing the firmware? If it is an option for you, you may check the link below for the steps.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Stora-Legacy/Re-flash-your-NetGear-Stora/m-p/264219#M441

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
halus
Aspirant

Hi

I don't remember if it was the same with previous firmware, I have been using this firmware, which is also the latest, for severla years. I don't think the problem startet at the same time as an update.

I did try to reflash the Stora once, I don't remember the procedure but think i was holding in the start button at startup, for a long time, and i think then it downloads firmware and flashes itself.

But i think i found a clue, i deleted a few folders and files. After that it seemed to suddenly work fine for the first time in months. Maybe something stopped it from doing a mirror?  Maybe file names or paths were too long or a file was corrupted? I don't know why, but some days ago when i deleted a file an folder, Stora started working as it should

Message 3 of 4
halus
Aspirant

Thanks for you suggestions Dexter !

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7