× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stora drive compatibility list

hitmohit
Aspirant

Re: Stora drive compatibility list

This might be stating the obvious but just to confirm:

Western Digital WD20EFRX RED NAS- 2TB/INTELLIPOWER/DDR2/150MBs/3.5

works in my Stora, I got 2 and set it up in RAID.
Message 51 of 90
RD8
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just letting know i am using WD Red 1TB -WD10EFRX-68JCSN0
Working fine...:)
Message 52 of 90
Anthon
Aspirant

I have just added a WD RED WD20EFRX to an empty Stora and it seems to be working. I like this drive because it has Rotational Vibration Safeguard and runs significantly cooler than my older Seagate Barracuda drives.
Message 53 of 90
The_LHC
Aspirant

welshie wrote:
Im Using 2TB Single Drive At The Moment

1xWD20EARS, im looking to expand, and unable to find same drive at a reasonable price, will there be any compatibility issues if I add a WD20EADS drive?

Interesting, this is in the wrong thread, I just added a WD20EARX (couldn't be bothered to order a Red in the end) and the Stora is not seeing it at all, no second green light and no recognition in the Stora app that there's a 2nd disk present.

I've also just read that mirroring the first drive will wipe it of data anyway, which is ridiculous, that's just not necessary.
Message 54 of 90
rsinj
Guide

The_LHC wrote:
Interesting, this is in the wrong thread, I just added a WD20EARX (couldn't be bothered to order a Red in the end) and the Stora is not seeing it at all, no second green light and no recognition in the Stora app that there's a 2nd disk present.

I've also just read that mirroring the first drive will wipe it of data anyway, which is ridiculous, that's just not necessary.

In the non-sticky thread Southkil says he's using this drive without any issues.

As far as wiping of data, it's on the second drive not the one already in the Stora.
Message 55 of 90
rsinj
Guide

welshie wrote:
Im Using 2TB Single Drive At The Moment

1xWD20EARS, im looking to expand, and unable to find same drive at a reasonable price, will there be any compatibility issues if I add a WD20EADS drive?

WDxxEADS work fine.
Message 56 of 90
The_LHC
Aspirant

rsinj wrote:
In the non-sticky thread Southkil says he's using this drive without any issues.

The drive itself works fine in a drive caddy (I took it back to the store and asked them to check). Odd...

As far as wiping of data, it's on the second drive not the one already in the Stora.

Well, yes, that makes sense but that wasn't the impression I got from some of the posters here, it's moot at the moment anyway but I'll bear it in mind, cheers.
Message 57 of 90
rsinj
Guide

The_LHC wrote:

Well, yes, that makes sense but that wasn't the impression I got from some of the posters here, it's moot at the moment anyway but I'll bear it in mind, cheers.

We had some prior discussions on the issue, and apparently it had to do with end-user misinterpretation of the message in the popup you get when confirming that you want to proceed.
Message 58 of 90
pjryan126
Aspirant

Seagate ST1000DM003
Message 59 of 90
pagmorrison
Novice

Samsung/Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB (2.5 inch).

I'm using this in an Icybox IB-2535StS 2.5inch to 3.5inch HDD converter, and it works perfectly.

I've gone this route, as in future I could reuse this drive in a laptop, ps3 or desktop, rather than 'just' a desktop with a 3.5inch drive.

Incidentally, the supplied 500GB WD green drive, had slowed to a crawl, with transfer rates in KB/s (apparently a fairly common fault), whereas the new drive is transferring at around 10 to 20 MB/s.
Message 60 of 90
dt1865
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm having difficulty sourcing a HD of the 1TB nature as listed below. A friend has spoken to a WD rep who has vouched that the following two hard drives are compatible with the STORA - can someone please verify this?

- WD10EFRX 1TB Caviar Red
- WD1002FAEX 1TB Black Caviar

Thanks
Message 61 of 90
rsinj
Guide

dt1865 wrote:

- WD10EFRX 1TB Caviar Red
- WD1002FAEX 1TB Black Caviar

If you go earlier in the thread you'll see these both confirmed/validated.

The black drive tested was the 2002FAEX 2TB model but aside from size they are identical.
Message 62 of 90
godsendjen
Novice

My hard drive shopping spree is imminent. I just wonder, has anyone gotten a 3 or 4TB SATA drive to work with the stora? Or is my expansion limited to 2TB?
Message 63 of 90
mrp
Novice
Novice

Hello,

I have just purchased a WD 3TB Red.

Can someone please explain the correct process to add this disk to the stora?

I have a WD 2TB Green in Bay 1 BTW.

Many Thanks
Message 64 of 90
rsinj
Guide

mrp - the Stora does not have built-in support for drives over 2TB. If you want to use drives larger than 2TB you have to manually manage them (i.e. do command line Unix commands).

Send a note to SputNuts - he knows how to do it and can send you the step by step instructions.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=72007
Message 65 of 90
tstn431
Aspirant

Hello,

I bought a WD10EZRX (1TB), but I am having problems setting it up. Is it normal that the green light on the front is blinking for more than an hour, and Stora Website Interface tells me that the disk is "Inactive" and "Hard disk not found or not yet configurated"? Is it a problem of compatibility or should I just wait?
Message 66 of 90
rsinj
Guide

The new drive is a 2nd drive for your Stora?

If so, power the Stora up just with your original drive, then once it's booted and you have the disk management section of Preferences open, insert your new drive - you should get a popup asking you how you want to configure the new drive and you can proceed from there.
Message 67 of 90
hellfire666
Initiate

How about rotationspeed? The hdd in my stora is a 5900rpm disc but i can only find 7200rpm drives except for this one:

Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 32MB 1TB.
Message 68 of 90
cotarelo
Aspirant

I am decided to buy the combo

Samsung/Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB (2.5 inch) + Icybox IB-2535StS

However, my stora has already the drive : ST31000528AS and I intend to do a mirroring with this 2 drives in Raid 1.

Will I have some problem?
Message 69 of 90
blazing
Aspirant

Hi all.
Have just upgraded my Stora 2110 drive which was a 1 TB Hitachi model to a 2TB drive and wanted to add the details of the drive to the compatability list if that's still being updated.

Drive is
Western Digital WD20EURS 2TB AV-GP Hard Drive 24 x 7 Enterprise HDD

It is considerably quieter in operation than the old drive, and definitely reccommended.
Message 70 of 90
cotarelo
Aspirant

is WD Caviar green: WD20EZRX

Compatible?
Message 71 of 90
stuarty1874
Aspirant

mrp wrote:
Hello,

I have just purchased a WD 3TB Red.

Can someone please explain the correct process to add this disk to the stora?

I have a WD 2TB Green in Bay 1 BTW.

Many Thanks

Did you have any success with this drive ?
Message 72 of 90
hellfire666
Initiate

So, i was thinking of upgrading to 2tb hdd´s, atm i have a single 1tb drive. Can i pop in a 2 tb drive to mirror the 1tb and then replace the 1tb drive with a second 2tb?
Message 73 of 90
Southkil
Aspirant

hellfire666 wrote:
So, i was thinking of upgrading to 2tb hdd´s, atm i have a single 1tb drive. Can i pop in a 2 tb drive to mirror the 1tb and then replace the 1tb drive with a second 2tb?

Yes if you want only 1tb of your 2tb's drive capacity.

No if your want the full 2tb mirror.

The only way to do it is to copy the 1tb drive data from the stora (possibly to one of the new 2tb drives if you haven't got one spare). Once you have done that, pop the 1tb drive out and put a new, unused, 2tb drive back in. Copy the data back from the external drive to the new 2tb drive on the stora. Once that's done and you can see your data, power down and put the 2nd 2tb drive in and select the RAID you want and then let the array build.

Long winded but it's the only way to do this. By doing it your way, the 2tb drive will build an array of only 1tb, thus wasting 1tb of the drive. When you pop the old 1tb drive out and put another 2tb drive back, the array will build to the size configured, ie 1tb.

Have fun! It'll take ages!

🙂
Message 74 of 90
hellfire666
Initiate

Southkil wrote:
Yes if you want only 1tb of your 2tb's drive capacity.

No if your want the full 2tb mirror.

The only way to do it is to copy the 1tb drive data from the stora (possibly to one of the new 2tb drives if you haven't got one spare). Once you have done that, pop the 1tb drive out and put a new, unused, 2tb drive back in. Copy the data back from the external drive to the new 2tb drive on the stora. Once that's done and you can see your data, power down and put the 2nd 2tb drive in and select the RAID you want and then let the array build.

Long winded but it's the only way to do this. By doing it your way, the 2tb drive will build an array of only 1tb, thus wasting 1tb of the drive. When you pop the old 1tb drive out and put another 2tb drive back, the array will build to the size configured, ie 1tb.

Have fun! It'll take ages!

🙂

Thanns!

I kinda suspected it wouldn't be smarter than that, i usually back stuff up on an external drive so much of the job is done and yes, it takes ages and you have to monitor the backup since the usb-backup is a joke.

What raid do i i use for mirroring?
Message 75 of 90
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7