× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stora keeps disapearing from home network - help?

Dogman73
Aspirant

Stora keeps disapearing from home network - help?

Hi, just bought and set up my Netgear Stora MS2110, and every time I look away for it drops of the network.

I'm not trying anything clever, have installed it following the CD, reset it a couple of times, and turned it off and on again.

When it works, it is fine - can access from mystora.com, from PC on hoe network, and from DLNA TV (Sony Bravia) and PS3

The next time I try - and having changed nothing - it's gone.

Errors on network simply 'cannot be found' and on www.mystora.com error is 'not online'

I have Opal brpadband (20meg) and Thomson TG585 v7 modem router, with firewall settings as standard.

Any ideas?

Or should I just box it up and send it back???
Message 1 of 9
andyswarbs
Novice

In such a case I would strongly recommend a) assigning a fixed-IP address to the stora b) registering that address in your router c) ensure that address is reserved for non-DHCP.
Message 2 of 9
Dogman73
Aspirant

Thanks - I've not had much joy with that, but have reset both stora and router a couple of times. Also changed the default setting on stora control pannel to ALLOW ftp to internet.

Seems to be working OK for now - will see how it looks tommorow!

(3 long calls to Netgear support where, by the way, totally unhelpful. If only plug and play meant you could just plug and play, eh?)
Message 3 of 9
GerHed
Aspirant

Hi

I have the same problem, but no solution.
Can't use the desktop mirror service since "stora is not found on local network".
Haven't tried to reset "stora" yet.
Acessing "stora" on the internet works just fine.
Message 4 of 9
twiztidman
Aspirant

which firmware do you use?

sounds really weird.

what about a permanent ping? do you have lost of pakets?

firewall? zone alarm etc?
Message 5 of 9
imecoltd
Novice

GerHed wrote:
Hi

I have the same problem, but no solution.
Can't use the desktop mirror service since "stora is not found on local network".
Haven't tried to reset "stora" yet.
Acessing "stora" on the internet works just fine.

If DesktopMirror is the only problem and the Stora is actually present on the network, meaning you can access the Stora by typing its IP in the browser, here's something you can try:
In DesktopMirror's options where you enter your stora name, username and password, instead of storaname.mystora.com type in your local IP. If Desktop Mirror can't find the Stora on the network it will attempt to contact the given IP directly. Might solve your problem
Message 6 of 9
mtay
Aspirant

Have had the same problem. Check the RJ45 sockets on both ends are light up when you have connected the cable and switch on the Stora unit. I found out that the RJ45 port is defective on the Stora unit. Got it replaced and installed properly but having other problem now (blank page).
Message 7 of 9
ristin
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. It started after the firmware upgrade to 2.3
Message 8 of 9
helpnet
Aspirant

Some good advice here. Configuring a fixed IP address is a good start. Make sure it is unique on the network, appropriate for the subnet, and excluded from any DHCP range.

Checking physical connection: (looking at network connector lights on stora, and PC (and any devices in between), checking they are green (or whatever colour they should be) and show activity (usually irregular flashing).

Checking IP connectivity When you know the device's IP address, can you ping the IP successfully when the problem occurs (if so, the network is working, the problem is likely to be Name Resolution, or Firewall related).

Do you have intermittent problems accessing other network resources as well as the Stora?

Checking Name Resolution Can you ping the name of the device. (If you can't but you can ping its IP, try using IP address instead of the name, if that works DNS is likely to be the problem. Configuring a setting in host file can be a work around, can checking DHCP include router IP (in home environment) can help. On a small network using NETbeui can help.

Checking firewall (usually software on PC for operating system, and any antivirus/firewall software). Allow access to the IP address, and allow file/print sharing (check file print sharing to another computer on the network works).

[AP Isolation]
AP isolation (Access Point Isolation) is a wireless security feature of a wireless or router that allows all devices on the network to access the internet, but for the sake of security, stops them seeing each other.

Are you trying to access the Stora from a wireless device? If so, another possibility is a router issue. I know with some Linksys routers (possibly some other brands), they randomly turn on AP isolation (Access Point Isolation). When this happens wireless devices on the network can all access the internet, but cannot access other network resources, so it can look like a firewall issue, but wired device to wired device usually works.

Try connecting your computer to network using a wired connection, if this works, and the wireless connection works on the internet but not for the stora, this could be the problem.

I had to stop using a new router I bought for this reason.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7