× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Backup doubts and questions

80phoenix
Aspirant

USB Backup doubts and questions

Hi,

since some day I bought premium pack and started using USB Backup feature.

I have some questions on it:
1- of course drive where I'm doing my backup is attached to the stora device through usb port on the stora itself. I have anyway the feeling that when backup job is running my local network incredibly slows down. I think it doesn't make sense (files should be trasferred locally from the device to the port, without really using the LAN). Someone else noticed this? is it possible?

2- on DAY 1 I did backup of around 200 GB and it tooks more than one day.
On DAY 2 same backup job was running and, even if there were no changes on the folders, it took anyway around 8 hours. Someone else noticed this? Why backup procedure isn't recongizing that nothing changed? Is there a way to activate this kind of incremental backup?

3- why if I detach usb drive, when I plug in back I'm loosing configuration of list of folders under backup procedure? I feel this is working in the way you should leave backup drive always connected. Someone else noticed this?

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
80phoenix
Aspirant

Re: USB Backup doubts and questions

80phoenix wrote:
Hi,

since some day I bought premium pack and started using USB Backup feature.

I have some questions on it:
1- of course drive where I'm doing my backup is attached to the stora device through usb port on the stora itself. I have anyway the feeling that when backup job is running my local network incredibly slows down. I think it doesn't make sense (files should be trasferred locally from the device to the port, without really using the LAN). Someone else noticed this? is it possible?

2- on DAY 1 I did backup of around 200 GB and it tooks more than one day.
On DAY 2 same backup job was running and, even if there were no changes on the folders, it took anyway around 8 hours. Someone else noticed this? Why backup procedure isn't recongizing that nothing changed? Is there a way to activate this kind of incremental backup?

3- why if I detach usb drive, when I plug in back I'm loosing configuration of list of folders under backup procedure? I feel this is working in the way you should leave backup drive always connected. Someone else noticed this?

Thank you

no hints from anyone on this over?
Message 2 of 5
halus
Aspirant

I know i'm 5 years late on this thread. Anyway, I have experienced the same, except i can not say for sure if the network slowed down, but i had the feeling it did, but it might also have been for other reasons.

I see that Stora has two options of USB backup:
Synchronized backup and
Archive

I tried synchronized backup and yes it's unbelievable slow, every day, I am not sure if this is an incremental backup or not. I guess it can not be a full backup if the 2 backup took less time than the first backup.

I tried also archive (i use it for photos) but whenever i add a new subfolder with photos to the stora, they don't seem to be backed up.

I will try again with the synchronized backup. My idea is to connect the usb disk to the stora whenever i add photos to the stora and remove it again after the a few days when the backup should be ready.

I am not sure if i always need to go to preferences and chose eject disk, or if it's enough that the usb disk is not at use when i remove it.
Message 3 of 5
robyb
Aspirant

Archiving a folder means keeping the current backed up version, but no longer updating it with new changes. So if you're choosing a folder and immediately setting it as archived, nothing will be backed up.

The solution is indeed designed so that the disk is a permanent backup. Managing files on the backup disk from another system may confuse the backup.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 4 of 5
halus
Aspirant

Thanks Roby!

I tried archive and it's like you say yes. I added a subfolder after i did the archive, and it was not added to the archive later, as expected.

I have another question, wold be nice if anybody has a clue. After i copied about 300 GB of photos to the Stora, both disks (raid1) have been running continuously for a week, also when i don't do USB backup. Anybody has a clue what it is doing and if it's normal? Before i did this, the disks were not active when not used, and they used to shut down after 15 minutes of inactivity.

They are still running and reading and/or writing.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7