× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to reflash stora

zcobra
Star

Unable to reflash stora

Been using the Stora for years and got through the connection issues recently due to the shutdown by Axentra/HipServ and the restoring of service/server takeover by Netgear (Thanks guys for getting us all back and connected).

But, now I have a "sick" Stora and wish to re-flash the unit as I beleive that will get me back up and running.   However, it seems any URL/link to re-flash is now dead.  I read on this forum that Netgear got it back and up around the end of May 2017.... but, I read on OpenStora that the firmware/flash site went down around June 15, 2017.    Can someone confirm that I have a totally bricked Stora with no hope of recovery....Or, will Netgear get the link working again so I can fix my NAS?

Thanks

Message 1 of 327
zcobra
Star

Guess this goes beyond the community and nobody can help me..... I suppose I was a few months late before the plug was pulled on the firmware restore server link.   Too bad....

Seems like there should be a way to restore locally through the USB ports...Anyone?

I headed over to OpenStora and didn't seem to find what I was looking for....

Message 2 of 327
marcato
Aspirant

Hi, I'm the same problem. Have you been able to find any solution?

Message 3 of 327
zcobra
Star

Nope..... No solution yet.  I privately emailed one of the moderators.  Not sure if they monitor this legacy section anymore or not.  I think they did they best they could to get the server back up so we can access our working Storas....But, any updates or restoring wasn't part of the restoring of HipServ/MyStora.  

I've searched the internet and every place instructs on the same reflash technique.  I know how to do it, just the Stora has no server to connect to get the flash firmware.  It just times out and stops the restore routine after a short while.

Message 4 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Same here. Few days ago for unknown reason web interface disappeared. I rebooted it via button, Samba was visible, SSH was responsive, but HTTP or UPNP in network neighborhood. Tried to recover via red reset button and ended with DHCP success and flash failed status. Tcpdump on routed revealed that DHCP request is OK, but URL is returning HTTP403/Forbidden. Visiting URL with browser showed XML formatted message which said if I remember correctly "Access to all of these binaries is prohibited" or similar. Now have one totally useles brick at home. If I get recovery script and UBI file from somewhere, eventually I can trick STORA to flash them.... Just need recovery flash file and script eventually.

Message 5 of 327
zcobra
Star

I've seen the firmware on OpenStora or elsewhere on the web..... But, how does one get it loaded to the Stora?  

This whole experience has tainted me on any product that relies on an internet link for updates and service --- Then again, it seems to be a trend.  If a web based service goes out of business--- Seems we all get stuck.

Message 6 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

If someone can supply recovery root file system, script which downloads and flashes firmware and actual firmware partition image it will be easy. I can always add files to VM/Live CD/Live linux on USB flash and post link here. No need Netgear to keep VM or server online - we can always boot PC with live CD which will serve DHCP, "hijacked" DNS record for recovery host and webserver which will serve needed URLs. It's not something very special which is needed to be done. Unfortunately I found recoveries for Seagate GoFlex and Medion NAS which are based on same Axentra Hipserv solution and very similar hardware, but Netgear one is totally dead and I can't find needed files. Hope that someone from Netgear will read this thread and (eventually) provide files. Rest of things I can do at home and post results here. Of course I respect intelectual property of Axentra and Netgear and links won't be posted anywhere outside of this forum or image can be provided to Netgear for further (re)distribution to next Stora owners which will fall in that situation.

Message 7 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Ok, I finally managed to recover my Stora to it's factory firmware. If someone needs urgently how-to - just PM me. I will try to summarize in next week what I did, where I succeed and where get failed/fired. At least there is a working idea how and what to be used. Time for completion - almost 10 days 😞

Message 8 of 327
zcobra
Star

Please post your results and how you accomplished them.  I'm still without my working Stora and hope I can recover it.  thanks.

Message 9 of 327
Cbeach
Aspirant

Has anyone found a way to reflash stora?  I tried reflash as couldn't launch the stora app not realising the issues others have faced.  Now have stora with permanent blue power light flashing as the reflash failed.  Any clues how to get it up and running again?  Thanks

Message 10 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hi,

Please check your PM's

Message 11 of 327
wolfvorkauf
Aspirant

Hello,

you `ve got an idea, to recover or reflash the stora Ms2110.

please send me your ideas.

i can not reflash my stora, only blue led and 2 orange led blinking. Ping ok but no connektion to stora with software or ssh

thanks

Message 12 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs. If you have problems, please contact me on PM. Let's not spam this thread.

Message 13 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Yesterday I managed to make recovery procedure semi-automatic. Just created few scripts which are doing recovery. Whoever needs them - please contact me on PM

Message 14 of 327
Chupik
Aspirant

Thanks!!! Everything worked!

Message 15 of 327
nemezis_at
Aspirant

Hey,

I have the same problem with my stora. Is it possible to reflash it with yours solution? Coudl you post link on forum to your HowTo.

Best regards,

Message 16 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs

Message 17 of 327
Bumme
Aspirant

Hello,

i know the stora-name but not the pw. But i don´t care about the data on it. I just want to configure it as a new system.

the restore procedure from usermanuel doesn`t work.

can u help?

Message 18 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

What's the current state of your unit?

If you still didn't bricked it there are couple of ways for password recovery, access regaining and so on. Even files can be preserved.

Message 19 of 327
Bumme
Aspirant

I perform a hard reset procedure, but it finishes always with error - power LED is on and both HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 are flashing.

Both HDD´s are OK.

I tried the desktop tools, because there is an "restore-tool". This tool does not find the stora in the network.

On my router i can see that the stora get an IP during the reset procedure and is named with "RestoreSTORA" in the DHCP table.

I get the stora from my brother and he told me the storaname but he forgot the password.

the data is not important for me. i only want to reconfigure it as a new system.

Do you need something else?

Message 20 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Well,

Looks like first time you failed to make it proper. As far as I know factory reset is done exacltly on 7th flash (roughly 35 seconds) of power led and button should be pressed while unit is powered on. Waiting for 15 sec + holding reset key calls firmware recovery procedure. Because Axentra kicked off Netgear's recovery server, firmware recovery procedure leaves unit in softbricked state with empty rootfs partition on flash. Right procedure for factory defaults is here:

https://kb.netgear.com/20608/How-to-Reset-the-Stora-to-Factory-Defaults

Now you need to recover rootfs partition, which is empty. Check your PMs for recovery details.

Message 21 of 327
ocg
Initiate
Initiate

Dear Gitsov!

I would like to ask you to give me information about how to recover rootfs partition on my Netgear Stora (MS2110).

Of course I will buy you a coffee. 😉

Message 22 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for delay. Please check your PM's. Follow instructions carefully and do not make any changes to recovery environment.

Message 23 of 327
Koriolan
Aspirant

I also send you a message 🙂 asking for help

Message 24 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Check your PMs.

Message 25 of 327
Announcements