× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to reflash stora

Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

PM sent.

Happy holidays to everyone!

Message 76 of 327
zappala982
Aspirant

Thanks buddy.

This worked a charm. Glad there are people like you still around.

Rock on 

Message 77 of 327
izenaabi
Aspirant

I finally managed to recover my Stora and my contents.  Thanks Gitsov!

Message 78 of 327
HarveyMears
Aspirant

Hi,

Using Ms2110 with windows 10.

Drive mapping has now stopped after windows update (photo)

I also can't access the updates which I suspect is linked to issue.

Is this what you have been working on?

Cheers,Stora Mapping Fail.jpg

Message 79 of 327
HarveyMears
Aspirant

Hi,

Using Ms2110 with windows 10.

Drive mapping has now stopped after windows update (photo)

I also can't access the updates which I suspect is linked to issue.

Is this what you have been working on?

Cheers,Stora Mapping Fail.jpg

Message 80 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Open "Classic control panel" -> "Programs and features" -> "Turn Windows features on or off" -> Expand "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" -> MARK "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client", MARK "SMB 1.0/CIFS Server", UNMARK "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" tickmarks.

Reboot. This should enable SMB 1.0 protocol support which Stora only supports. 

If this does not help, Remove all components related to SMB 1.0, reboot and proceed as above.

Stora is only SMB 1.0 protocol capable, but Micro$oft is dropping support for it due to recent security flaws of the protocol.

I am not sure that this will changed in the future as Axentra is out of business now, and Netgear already EOLed that units, so no support from original developers and from hardware vendor. As far as I know SMB 3.0 requires SAMBA 4 and kernel version 4.x - both unavailable due to bigger file sizes and maybe lack of vendor support. If you require SMB 3.0 support, path to get it is a custom firmware booted from USB flash, which have Samba 4.x and Kernel 4.x, but this is out of scope for this topic.

Message 81 of 327
peps317
Aspirant

Thanks for your help!

Excellent job, Gitsov

Message 82 of 327
HarveyMears
Aspirant

In other words - end of life if I want a secure, reliable NAS in future!

Thank you for the clarity!  Coffee on it's way as next action. 🙂

Message 83 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hi, thanks for the donation. I am almost sure that there won't be notable security problems, unless Stora SMB share is accessible from WAN link (If your router does NAT, this effectively breaks most of the SMB access) or you have open Wi-Fi network on your router.

If you met following rules, you will be mostly safe:

- until your router doing NAT (default)

- Stora is not on DMZ zone or ports TCP/135, TCP/138,TCP 139, TCP/445 aren't forwarded on WAN link (default is No, other is stupid to be done)

- Your Wi-Fi network is at WPA2/AES encryption and have strong password

- You have not enabled GUEST Wi-Fi network in your router

Happy holidays!

Message 84 of 327
jvys007
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. I helps and I managed to bring my Stora back. Also data was finally also saved. Once more thanks a lot.

Message 85 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hi,

Glad to see that VM helped. Do not forget to remove UPNP mappings from router and if you are using Windows 10 to add SMB 1.0 client and server and to remove "SMB 1.0 autoremoval" windows component. Also if Stora randomly appears and disappears from "Network", smb.conf should be modified (planned for next release of VM, alongside with some other features).

Message 86 of 327
Asee
Aspirant

Hi Gitsov, I have a Stora MS2000 and I am struggling to reflash it using it's recovery mode. I'm hoping it is the same problem that you have described. Do you think your solution would help me? If so could you please send me the instructions.
Message 87 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs.

Message 88 of 327
jvys007
Aspirant

Dear Mr. Gitsov, I was able to reflash my Stora, however when I get life I needed to create another User2 as when I want to log as original User1 the system told me that user already exist. Than I logged via Stora Home server as User2 and edit existing User1 (just I have updated password). Then I logged in as User1 (original one before Stora crashed) and I could see all my files in both MyLibrary and FamilyLibrary. I was really happy as all my filed were saved. Then I wanted to map Stora on my PC by command net use X: \\STORA\..... it worked for "MyLibrary" but it did not work for "FamilyLibrary". When I want to go to FamilyLibrary I have to map it while logged in as User2. So I can acces data as disk drive prom my PC but either as User1 (ie. MyLibrary) or as User2 (FamilyLibrary). So to make long story short I can not acces MyLibrary as User1. Do you have any idea what to do to be able map \\STORA\FamilyLibrary as User1. When I try it I get error message the name is wrong althouf when I go via normal Ecxplorer and click on Stora and I login as User1 I can see three folders. FamilyLibrary, MyComputer and MyLibrary. When I click on FamilyLibrary then i get this error message.

Sorry for beeing so long, but this really bother me as I always need to re-login when i want to get access to one or another folder.

Message 89 of 327
jvys007
Aspirant

Sorry the sentence shoud have been ---- to make long story short I can not access FamilyLibrary as User1 ... not MyLibrary. Sorry for any inconvience.

Message 90 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

There are two possible reasons for that behavior:

First: Looks like you missed part of howto -  You did not pulled disks before recovery or plugged them right after recovery, but before "online activation" which creates user. With plugged disks system detected that you have already same user home directory which holds MyComputers, MyLibrary & etc. and to prevent data loss it did not created it properly.

Second: System accidentally assigned different UID to old user which you actually created from scratch, as filesystem keeps access rights with UID (username is only for your convenience)   you are kicked. 

Anyways ... it's too late for guessing.

At the moment you have three paths, depending on how confident you are with Linux, SSH and commandline interface:

1 - Download all folders contents (download whole Stora  to your PC) with corresponding users which have access, then from interface of Stora or Stora agent reset Stora to factory defaults. If you choose to restore it via reset button remember that unit should be powered on and online! Then create everything from scratch - activation, user creation, upload ... for me that procedure takes around 80 hours for ~860GB data. Requires alot of space on PC, BUT IT IS SAFEST!

2 - You can map missing folder from Windows - just use "Connect using different credentials" option (use user1's credentials), map same folder for user2 and move files via Windows exploder from first to second network drive. Use same approach for next missing folder. TAKES ALOT OF TIME, but does not require bunch of free space on PC and it is faster than option 1. 

3 - Obtain root via SSH, go to /home/0common and change ownership for all folders inside to apache:users and set permissions to rwxrwxrwx - this is for Family Library folder and folders inside. Go to /home/user1 and move directories from there (MyComputers, MyLibrary ) to /home/user2. Change ownership of /home/user2 and subfolders to match user2:www. Optionally change permissions ot rwxrwxrwx for files and folders. This method is fastest and does not require any free space, BUT INVOLVES HIGH RISK OF DATA LOSS. And of course some Linux knowledge. I intentionally did not provided exact commands, with idea to prevent blind copy-pasting and data loss.

It's up to you which route you will take. TeamViewer is a option too, but depends how busy day I will have tomorrow in office and timezone - mine is GMT+2.

Let me know on PM if you need more help with this - I will try to be as more helpful as possible.

Message 91 of 327
Asee
Aspirant

Thank you, it worked. Keep up the good work.
Message 92 of 327
ragingdisks
Aspirant

Hey Gitsov, my stora just crapped it's pants and I can't recover it. Could you send me your instructions please?

Message 93 of 327
ellarddw
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

My Stora is semi bricked. I can see it on my network and responds to PING. Cannot SSH on to it. Power LED flashes 5 times and HDD LEDs solid green. Any thoughts please on how I can reload firmware etc. Many thanks in anticipation. Dave.

Message 94 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for a late reply - yesterday was a busy day for me.

Check your PMs. If you have any problems/questions - just reply to PM.

Message 95 of 327
ellarddw
Aspirant

Gitsov. Thank you so much for the fast response. I've downloaded and installed the files as requested and installed ok. LEDs as expected.

I dont seem to be able to map a network drive to the stora from my PC.

I get the following error when opening a web browser to http://192.168.1.96/admin/wizards/setup/wrapper

Your has encountered an error.

Help System

Error message: No central server configured at /var/www/admin/register_cs.pm line 361.

Kind regards

Dave

Message 96 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Upload file with flasing log somewhere and give me link in PM. Looks like flash chip either have too much bad cells or something unexpected happened. I need to check it before giving any advices.
Message 97 of 327
ellarddw
Aspirant

Gitsov,

Thanks yet again for the fast response. I decided to reflash my Stora again. Indeed there were bad cells. Anyway it completed and I can now access all of my data again. You really are a star for posting this fix and sharing it.

Kind regards

Dave

Message 98 of 327
ellarddw
Aspirant

Coffee sent. Enjoy!

Thanks again.

Dave aka ellarddw

Message 99 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Thanks for the coffee. I am glad that your unit got recovered. 

Message 100 of 327
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7