× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Media Server Software

Rene_Meijering
Aspirant

Re: Unable to reflash stora

I received a netgear storage form a friend with the same problem. I cannot upgrade the firmware as discribed in other topics. Can someone help me?

Message 151 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs. I've sent you instructions.

Message 152 of 327
user42
Aspirant

Hello,
I managed to recover my stora.
Thank you very much
Message 153 of 327
Antipe
Aspirant

Thank you buddy you saved me a lot of wasted time

Message 154 of 327
biddy187
Aspirant

Betreff: Unable to reflash stora

I have the same issue all my business data on it any chance you could give the info needed to reflash. Cheers

Message 155 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

You have PM with instructions. In case of failure, please provide log lines from flashing procedure.

Message 156 of 327
ellarddw
Aspirant

Media Server Software

Hi Gitsov. My Stora has been working just fantastic since you posted me the details on how to rebuild it. Just wondering if it is possible to add some software to the Stora something like Plex? Your thoughts would be most welcome and I'm sure of benefit to other members of the forum.

Message 157 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Maybe simple answer is no. Because:

- on original NAND flash chip there are ~20mb left as free space, usually that packages (if they ever exist for that ancient CPU) will be far bigger than 20MB (also filling Linux partition over 95%-98% could lead to crash of file system). I don't believe that deploying something on storage disks is a good option, because you will lose standalone operation of device - it will depend on that disks and their contents.

- With 128MB RAM and single core cpu streaming and transcoding "on the fly" won't happen or results will be choppy movies due low RAM and weak CPU

- Not 100% sure, but lack of packages compiled for that CPU platform is on the table too. Compiling from sources will take ages.

If you really require such features, probably you will need to look for new NAS with proper more powerfull hardware and if possible already integrated functionality for streaming. Of course it won't be free... 

I can take a look in a near future, but for now I have some projects ongoing and when I finish with them will try to take a look. For now I am focused on removing some problematic points of original firmware - I am nearly in the middle with activation backup/restore scripts, then I should add some tweaks to Samba configuration so problems which I experienced with Windows 10 will gone. Last few days managed to replace original 256MB NAND chip with 512MB one and firmware + recovery will need some adjustments to use whole chip instead of 256MB of it...

Message 158 of 327
biddy187
Aspirant

I managed to recover my Stora

Message 159 of 327
Andyspb
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 160 of 327
ellarddw
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast response. I guessed that would be the case.
Message 161 of 327
landvogt
Aspirant

Dear Mate,

could you please send me the instructions too?

Thanks a lot,

Alex

Message 162 of 327
Nicolus
Aspirant

Dear Gitsov help me and with the reset of my Stora on you, one hope

Message 163 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

PM sent to you.

Message 164 of 327
Nicolus
Aspirant

Thanks! Дякую!

Message 165 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

I am about to order next week spare 512MB NAND chips for these units. Offer is for ready preprogrammed chip and optional replacement locally in my town. Whoever need them - please contact me for additional details in PM.

Message 166 of 327
burlysquash
Aspirant

Hi Gitsov

Not so long ago I had a confusing time trying to refresh my Stora, which I'd easily done previously.

Today I thought to look into any custom firmware options available before finally throwing the hardware out, and I'm so glad I did look as I came across this community thread!

I'd love a copy of your instructions to see if they can help me too, as they have for so many others.

Thanks in advance.

Message 167 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Message 168 of 327
ORudy
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same problem.
Can you help me please ?

Regards
Message 169 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Message 170 of 327
hozone
Aspirant

Hello Gitsov, I have the same problem here. Can you PM me the solution? Thank you!

Message 171 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for delay. PM sent.

Message 172 of 327
Cepreu
Aspirant

Unable to reflash stora. Julian, help me please

Message 173 of 327
Gitsov
Virtuoso

You have PM with instructions. Check it.

Message 174 of 327
hozone
Aspirant

Message 175 of 327
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7