× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Video compression

jasee
Aspirant

Video compression

What video compression codec type is the built in player able to display please?
I've got a conversion program but none seem to be recognised as playable, not MPEG4(native), nor Cinepack Codec by Radius, nor Divx Mpeg-4 low motion, nor Divx Mpeg-4 fast motion.
Haven't tried MJPeg Compressor, DV Enoder PAL (direct show) or DV Encoder NTSC (direct show). There are quite a few others.

Even some prerecorded videos which do work seem to 'jump' sometimes. Is there some format which other users find works well?
Message 1 of 13
ossienet
Aspirant

jasee wrote:
What video compression codec type is the built in player able to display please?

None, as far as I know. The Stora has no Video output. It's a network media STORAGE device.
Message 2 of 13
jasee
Aspirant

ossienet wrote:
None, as far as I know. The Stora has no Video output. It's a network media STORAGE device.

I know it has no video output directly from the player
What I mean is the web interface is able to play a few types of video file directly over the network via the flash player, for instance mp4, flv encapsulation, but the video compression has to be the right type for it to work it seems.
Message 3 of 13
robyb
Aspirant

h2.64 is the prefered codec for the flash player. I usually use Handbrake and convert with an MP4 container and enable the Web Optimization checkbox.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 4 of 13
jasee
Aspirant

robyb wrote:
h2.64 is the prefered codec for the flash player. I usually use Handbrake and convert with an MP4 container and enable the Web Optimization checkbox.

Cheers,
Roby!

Thanks useful 🙂 And handbrake is open source and available for most platforms
Message 5 of 13
ossienet
Aspirant

jasee wrote:
I know it has no video output directly from the player
What I mean is the web interface is able to play a few types of video file directly over the network via the flash player, for instance mp4, flv encapsulation, but the video compression has to be the right type for it to work it seems.

But isn't this just a limitation of Flash and the web browser, rather than the Stora itself?
Message 6 of 13
jasee
Aspirant

ossienet wrote:
But isn't this just a limitation of Flash and the web browser, rather than the Stora itself?

The stora is running a web server, it is only capable of streaming a few types of video file, that's its limitation.
Message 7 of 13
ossienet
Aspirant

jasee wrote:
The stora is running a web server, it is only capable of streaming a few types of video file, that's its limitation.

Yeah, software. Not hardware.
Message 8 of 13
jasee
Aspirant

jasee wrote:
Thanks useful 🙂 And handbrake is open source and available for most platforms

Actually, not quite as useful as I thought, although it will compress to the required standard it doesn't seem to capable of compressing many types of video AFAICT
Message 9 of 13
Southkil
Aspirant

hi,

try any video converter, it's free and can convert from any format to any format. (Does what it says on the tin!)

🙂
Message 10 of 13
jasee
Aspirant

Southkil wrote:
hi,

try any video converter, it's free and can convert from any format to any format. (Does what it says on the tin!)

🙂

But not all video converters are equal:)
They don't all use the best compression method that the Stora works best with (as indicated earlier) In fact I use a paid for one which doesn't:mad:

Would you care to name names?:) (for MS windows, please)
Message 11 of 13
Southkil
Aspirant

jasee wrote:
But not all video converters are equal:)
They don't all use the best compression method that the Stora works best with (as indicated earlier) In fact I use a paid for one which doesn't:mad:

Would you care to name names?:) (for MS windows, please)

No, the name of the program is Any Video Converter. Sorry I should have used capitals.

🙂
Message 12 of 13
jasee
Aspirant

Southkil wrote:
No, the name of the program is Any Video Converter. Sorry I should have used capitals.

🙂

Haha, oh I see thanks :):):)
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7