× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why can't I watch mp4 files on my TVs?

mtiede
Tutor

Why can't I watch mp4 files on my TVs?

I just made some mp4 files with my phone. Put them on Stora and browsed to the folder with TWO TVs. A Samsung and an Aquos. The Aquos said, "Data not available". The Samsung doesn't show any files.

I've read that others seem to be able to use MP4 files with TVs (or I THOUGHT they were talking about TVs). These files play fine on the PC. So the files must be in good order.

Is this failure the fault of the Stora or the TVs?
Message 1 of 12
D_Nay
Aspirant

This is no fault of your STORA, or really your TV's. The .mp4 is just a container for the video and audio codecs. For instance the .mp4 could have the video coded in DivX, H.263, XviD, H264/AVC, or M-PEG4 to name a few.

Therefore, I suspect it will boil down to the codec used for your files. Your PC will have all the necessary codec built in to your media player (assuming something like VLC) so that they will play. Your TVs can only support certain codecs contained within the file container (.mp4, .avi, .mkv etc etc)

My SONY PS3 can play .mp4 files, but they must be encoded with the H264 codec and AAC LC audio. After a bit of googling it appears your Samsung and I believe the Sharp Aquos also supports this format. Although I have read that earlier models of Sharp TVs don't support this at all. Have a check through your manuals in the tech spec, it should list all supported formats and codecs. If .mp4 is not listed then you will have to convert the files to a format that is.

If the manual states .mp4 files can be played I would suggest finding a small file you have and converting it to the H264/AAC .mp4 preset and giving it a try. I have used DVDVIDEOSOFT's 'Free video to PS3 convertor', it's free and very easy to use, allowing you to also customise the settings. You can drop the bitrate down for the first file so that encoding doesn't take too long, the quality won't be as good but your file size and time spent converting will be less. (Click on the wand with a star on it beside the drop down menu for conversion presets).

I am sure others on this forum will suggest other convertor's like Handbrake, StaxRip, Any Video Convertor etc etc, but for something simple and easy to work with DVDVIDEOSOFT's offering is a good start.

Hope this helps.
Message 2 of 12
wellluckyhope
Aspirant

Though MP4 is listed as Samsung TV supported video format on Samsung official website, Samsung TVs are particular about what audio and video codec inside in the MP4 video container. Samsung TV only supports playing MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. Samsung TV MP4 issues are also affected by MP4 video resolution, frame rate, bitrates and etc.

To successfully play all kinds of MP4 on Samsung TV whatever via USB drive or via DLNA server like Plex, Serviio, Twonky, and etc, a recommended solution is to convert Samsung TV unsupported MP4 to Samsung TV more supported video format.

Resources: http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/samsung-tv-play-mp4.html
Message 3 of 12
wellluckyhope
Aspirant

To successfully play all kinds of MP4 on Samsung TV whatever via USB drive or via DLNA server like Plex, Serviio, Twonky, and etc, a recommended solution is to convert Samsung TV unsupported MP4 to Samsung TV more supported video format.

iDealshare VideoGo, the professional Samsung TV Converter for Mac or Windows, can batch and fast convert all popular video formats including MP4, MOV, FLV, Apple ProRes, MKV, VOB, WTV, WMV, RMVB, MXF, AVCHD, DV, XAVC, MPEG, MTS, TS, 3GP, ASF, MVI, BIK, DAV and etc to Samsung TV more compatible video format.

Besides converting video like MP4 to Samsung TV video format, iDealshare VideoGo also has advanced editing function like trim, crop, rotate, merge, split, add or remove subtitles, increase video audio volume and etc.
Message 4 of 12
fordem
Mentor

Your Samsung TV most likely has a USB port - put your files on a USB stick and plug it in - if that Samsung can't play the files off the USB stick, consult Samsung support, it if can, come back here and let's see if we can sort it out.
Message 5 of 12
aicoomeer
Novice

Can Samsung TV Play MP4?

From Samsung official website, we clearly know that Samsung TV is only compatible with MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. However, MP4 is a container format which contains various kinds of video and audio codecs. Once the MP4 files can't meet the requirement of Samsung TV input format, you'll get into trouble to play MP4 in Samsung TV.

To solve "Samsung TV not playing MP4" issue, a widely recommended solution is convert MP4 to Samsung TV more compatible MP4 format.
Message 6 of 12
KimiJ
Novice

Firstly, make sure you've added the directory to your library and updated it. Then try to rename the MP4 files so they have simpler names (e.g. Series - S01E01 - Episode Name) or make a new library or pick Other or Personal Media and put the MP4 TV shows in there.
If it does not help, more than likely it is a permission problem. Or Codec issue. According Plex official websites, native video support is typically limited to the MP4 container, H.264 video encoding, and AAC audio. So come MP4 files which contain other codecs may not be streamed well. So you need an audio re-encoder tool to help you make the codec right. Downloaded Bigasoft Total Video Converter and worked.

If you need to convert the MP4 audio, here is the detailed guide of Bigasoft 😉.
Message 7 of 12

wellluckyhope wrote:
Though MP4 is listed as Samsung TV supported video format on Samsung official website, Samsung TVs are particular about what audio and video codec inside in the MP4 video container. Samsung TV only supports playing MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. Samsung TV MP4 issues are also affected by MP4 video resolution, frame rate, bitrates and etc.

Resources: http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter/samsung-tv-play-mp4.html

Thank you so much for your useful explain and solution. now i just solve my mp4 files won't play on my tv.
Message 8 of 12
timmdd
Aspirant

From Samsung official website, we clearly know that Samsung TV is only compatible with MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. If your MKV/AVI files are encoded with other codec, Samsung TV will not play.

So the best method is to convert them in to format supported by Samsung TV with some third party software, I recommend the HD video converter, hope it will help you. 

Message 9 of 12
SophiaGill
Aspirant

Other Reasons:

MP4 Video content will not play, or not play correctly on Samsung TV, if there is an error in the content or the container.
If the Index Table is in error, the Seek (Jump) function is not supported.
When you play MP4 video on Samsung TV over a network connection, the video may not be played smoothly.
Some USB/digital camera devices may not be compatible with the player.

An easy way to solve this annoying MP4 Samsung TV issues is to convert MP4 to Samsung TV more compatible formats.

Message 10 of 12
chris198810
Aspirant

Well, MP4 is listed as Samsung TV supported video format on Samsung official website although, Samsung TVs are particular about what audio and video codec inside in the MP4 video container. Samsung TV only supports playing MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. Samsung TV MP4 issues are also affected by MP4 video resolution, frame rate, bitrates and etc.

Message 11 of 12
BobTang
Aspirant

As far as I know, video codec, bitrate, resolution all decide the compatibility of the video on Samsung TV. An MP4 is a container. Different MP4 files tend to contain different video and audio codecs. Samsung TV is only compatible with MP4 in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. Once the MP4 files can't meet the requirement of Samsung TV input format, you'll get into trouble to play MP4 in Samsung TV.  You can transcode the mp4 files to a friendly format.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7