× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: factory default MS2000

Gitsov
Virtuoso

In general this recovery which I created won't do much more than original Netgear one. General differrences are that process of flashing is more verbose - if there are bad cells/sectors in internal NAND they will be logged. Other differrence is that it flashes known working kernel, while Netgear original recovery does not. This part is logged too. In all other terms firmwares should be the same - there should be no difference. What result you get after these:

service minidlna.init status

service minidlna.init restart

Isse these commands and get possible errors with: dmesg

Message 26 of 33
bordonbert
Guide

Can you advise if it is correct to see a string of directories in "/etc/rc.d/" named rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d...rc6.d which all contain versions of minidlna.init?  I also have a init.d directory with a copy there too which is the one I have assumed I should work from.

"./minidlna.init status" reports "No miniDlna server is running".

"./minidlna.init start" generates "error while loading shared libraries: libavformat.so.53: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

"./minidlna.init restart" gives two lines:  "./minidlna.init:  line 107:  ./minidlna.init:  No such file or directory" and "./minidlna.init:  line 112:  ./minidlna.init:  No such file or directory"

Message 27 of 33
Gitsov
Virtuoso

in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d are only symlinks for applications/services should be started for that init level all they leads to /etc/init.d/. Depending on service startup configuration service is being started or not (chkconfig --all ). Problem with your minidlna lies here:

"error while loading shared libraries: libavformat.so.53: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

Try to check for updates and apply them. If this does not help, try to recover firmware via usual way. If problem persists - let me know on PM.

Message 28 of 33
bordonbert
Guide

Thanks Gitsov.  I'll try that.  I really appreciate that help.

Message 29 of 33
bordonbert
Guide

Just an update.  I haven't managed to sort out the details of MiniDlna yet.  Do I go for the most up to date version, do I go for a version which is old but has worked on my Stora, or do I go for a more up to date version from the ReadyNas stable?  I would guess the last option is plain not possible, the Stora and ReadyNas are probably too different.

The most up to date according to the OpenStora.com site is 1.1.4 but that was in 2015!  Now I would guess that that may have been the version I was using before this whole fiasco started so it may be the one but is there a useable more recent version which would be more applicable?

As regards the overall setup '/etc/oe-release' reports:

Version: 2.0.0.433

Dist Name: hipserv2_netgear

Version Name: 2.6.1

Serial number and Domain name are correct.

And now, how do I update on the command line of the Stora?  I have no problem gaining root access but tools like yum and apt-get aren't recognised.  As was advised elsewhere I have tried simply dropping into place a new version of the "minidlna" executable binary.  It didn't work so there must be more to it than that.  (I have reverted to the original version on there.)

Message 30 of 33
Gitsov
Virtuoso

You are bit on wrong road: libavformat.so.53 is not a part of minidlna package. It is (I think) part form ff-mpeg or similar package (codec packs on Windows for analog). You should focus first on fixing that package (with rpm - yum,dnf, apt, dpkg and other package aren't available due free space lef on NAND). Corresponding package is libavformat53-0.8.5-oe1. After fixing that missing library file you can proceed with experimenting with miniDLNA versions. Binaries from ReadyNAS in my opinion won't work on Stora because they are binary incompatible - Stora CPU is Arm5te, ReadyNAS is (I think) with Armada CPU which is Arm7. You can't run binaries compiled for ARM5 on ARM7 and vice versa. You can check for updates from Stora web interface.

Message 31 of 33
bordonbert
Guide

Sorry to take so long in getting back to reply to this.  I have to admit that after looking into the library situation after Gitsov's advice and finding elsewhere that it would likely be a case of running down a chain of missing links one after the other or reinstalling a package I knew nothing about, I took the pragmatic approach and just replaced the Stora with another NAS drive.  'libavformat.so.53' seems to be a library within the 'ffmpeg' project which is itself a large video/audio/filestream suite used for editing/transcoding/scaling files.  I just couldn't face digging into the installation and maintenance of that side of things which I know precious little about when it may also be caught up in the fractured relationship between Netgear and Axentra.

The Stora is still fully accessible as storage for basic files and will act as a backup for my machines while the new drive will host all of the music and other media files.  I have to say, first impressions are that does a much better job than the Stora ever did.  I get no errors such as the location not being accessible due to sleep and it does not have the slow wake up time.  And the Linn software I use to manage the Majik DSM is working fault free as well with that.

As promised, I went for a Synology rather than a Netgear device!  "Fool me once..."

Message 32 of 33
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Drop me PM if you still want to fight this war. Probably I will manage to unpack firmware update files and find missing one RPM.

Message 33 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7