× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

map network drive

leemcuk
Follower

map network drive

how do i just map the drive so i can download onto it? ive tried \\stora and \\myipaddress but i cannot map the drive

please help

Message 1 of 12
bileczek
Novice

Re: map network drive

i.e.

\\stora ip\MyLibrary
\\stora ip\MyComputers
\\stora ip\MyFamilyLibrary
Message 2 of 12
wide_inside
Aspirant

leemcuk wrote:
how do i just map the drive so i can download onto it? ive tried \\stora and \\myipaddress but i cannot map the drive

please help

If you can find them under network, you can always map them with a batch file in your startup menu so that they appear as a standard drive.

Open up notepad, then copy this in.

PING 99.99.99.99 -n 5 > NUL
NET USE X: /delete
NET USE X: \\STORA\Familylibrary /USER:
NET USE Y: /delete
NET USE Y: \\STORA\Mylibrary /USER:
NET USE Z: /delete
NET USE Z: \\STORA\MyComputers /USER:

Put in your password and username where it says (and remove the <>). Save it as file type "all files" to your desktop, and end the filename with .BAT

You can either leave it on your desktop and run it when you want, or you can right click on your start menu and explore it, then open programmes. In there is a folder called startup. Any .bat files saved in here will run whenever you startup your pc. Works a treat for me.

This is all thieved from someone else on these forums, who I am greatly indebted to.

Good luck

Wide.
Message 3 of 12
bllreed
Novice

Once you login to the Stora the 3 shares will automap. If you run Explorer it will show them as X:, Y:, & Z:.
Message 4 of 12
Deepdiver1
Aspirant

wide_inside wrote:
If you can find them under network, you can always map them with a batch file in your startup menu so that they appear as a standard drive.

Open up notepad, then copy this in.

PING 99.99.99.99 -n 5 > NUL
NET USE X: /delete
NET USE X: \\STORA\Familylibrary /USER:
NET USE Y: /delete
NET USE Y: \\STORA\Mylibrary /USER:
NET USE Z: /delete
NET USE Z: \\STORA\MyComputers /USER:

Put in your password and username where it says (and remove the <>). Save it as file type "all files" to your desktop, and end the filename with .BAT

You can either leave it on your desktop and run it when you want, or you can right click on your start menu and explore it, then open programmes. In there is a folder called startup. Any .bat files saved in here will run whenever you startup your pc. Works a treat for me.

This is all thieved from someone else on these forums, who I am greatly indebted to.

Good luck

Wide.

This worked a treat on friends vista laptop
Message 5 of 12
Bekseju
Aspirant

leemcuk wrote:

please help

I remaped the folder "myComputers" to drive S (for stora) and got rid of the drives X and Y (only in windows-they are still there on the stora). I only need the Stora as a backup device. I did try using it as a media server over the internet but it seems the processor is too slow and the memory too low to be useful anyway. That's how it seems anyway but you can't expect too much for this price, surely?

If you want to do the same, you could paste the following VBS into notepad and save it as a file on your desktop. Change the extension from "txt" to "vbs" and the Windows will know what to do when you click it.

Here is my code. You have to change 2 things, YOUR USERNAME AND YOUR PASSWORD. (Remove the [ ] brackets).

'================================================================================================
'Map the Stora network drive
'Syntax of the MapNetworkMethod
'object.MapNetworkDrive(strLocalName, strRemoteName, [bUpdateProfile], [strUser], [strPassword])
'Syntax of the RemoveNetworkDrive method
'object.RemoveNetworkDrive(strName, [bForce], [bUpdateProfile])
'Bekseju 12 October 2010
'================================================================================================
Option explicit
Dim ObjNetWork
Dim objShell
Const strCDrive ="S:"
Const strCPath = "\\STORA\MyComputers"
Const StrCNewName = "Stora"
Dim Ar
Dim i

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
Ar= Array("X:","Y:","z:")

'If the path does not exist, get an error so have to ignore it
On error resume next

For i=0 to 2
objNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive Ar(i), "True","True"
Next

objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strCdrive , strCPath,"True","[YourUserName]","[Yourpassword]"
'Rename this folder

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.NameSpace(strCDrive).Self.Name = strCNewName

'=========================================================
Message 6 of 12
psirhc
Aspirant

Hi, I am really a novice when it comes to this stuff.

I understand what is trying to be done but am still having problems. So I tried to load them through the mapping function in explorer first to find my mistake. When I add the password and user id, it cant find it still and gives me an error. X: \\STORA\Familylibrary /USER:

When I map it using just the X: \\STORA\Familylibrary it works, the login screen appears and I enter the PW and User, all good. But I really do not want do this login every time.

Is there something that could be different that I need to try or add? If I am under a user on the PC? PC Name and user? I tried this but because I am not familiar with the logic in the writing this stuff it doenst work either. I tried looking on the internet for mapping logic and I still can get it. I know this is basic stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Message 7 of 12
Bekseju
Aspirant

psirhc wrote:
So I tried to load them through the mapping function in explorer first to find my mistake. When I add the password and user id, it cant find it still and gives me an error. X: \\STORA\Familylibrary /USER:

In Windows explorer, did you tick the box for "reconnect at log on"? If not, you'd have to re-enter your password every time
Message 8 of 12
Southkil
Aspirant

psirhc wrote:
Hi, I am really a novice when it comes to this stuff.

I understand what is trying to be done but am still having problems. So I tried to load them through the mapping function in explorer first to find my mistake. When I add the password and user id, it cant find it still and gives me an error. X: \\STORA\Familylibrary /USER:

When I map it using just the X: \\STORA\Familylibrary it works, the login screen appears and I enter the PW and User, all good. But I really do not want do this login every time.

Is there something that could be different that I need to try or add? If I am under a user on the PC? PC Name and user? I tried this but because I am not familiar with the logic in the writing this stuff it doenst work either. I tried looking on the internet for mapping logic and I still can get it. I know this is basic stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Remove the space after X:

ie.

X:\\STORA\Familylibrary /USER:
Message 9 of 12
psirhc
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. Yes I did check the reconnect and in the path you are correct I did not have the drive included it began with \\.
Message 10 of 12
psirhc
Aspirant

Yeah I retried again and still no luck.
Message 11 of 12
psirhc
Aspirant

I put in the mapping field under X drive \\STORA\FamilyLibrary password /USER:username

I am still getting message "Windows cannot access"

If anyone can help please. I know this is basic and I will feel stupid once I figure it out. Thanks again to all who have help already
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7