× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mystora.com NOT ACCESSIBLE

Dux
Guide
Guide

Mystora website is no longer working. I contacted Netgear by phone and of course was put through to someone in China who wasnt prepared to comment on the situation but it seems Netgear have abandoned the Stora site and want everyone to buy a new ReadyNAS product.  I will never buy another Netgear product again because right now I cannot access MyStora on Windows Internet Explorer, Safari or Chrome on Mac OS and Android systems, so clearly they are not saying anything just hoping it will go away eventually. 

Message 76 of 148
Cunny
Aspirant

I'm not a fan of the current situation at all.

As for trying to push people to a readynas solution is bad in itself. What happens in the next 5 years or so and netgear or a third party decide it's no longer viable to keep the server running?

We will more than likely be here again.

For those who use thier stora for uploads have a think about a secure ftp over the Internet to a shared folder etc.

Absolutely shocking netgear. Shocking
Message 77 of 148
gh58
Guide

I think we all have to calm down. Netgear's biggest failing is in letting us know what happened sooner and what is being done to address it. However, they obviously signed up to HipServ in good faith, as did a number of other big names, so that is where the problem lies.

What would be most useful is for Netgear to establish a number of patches/steps to be taken to separate the reliance from HipServ - if we had details on removing the redirection (I already indicated that OpenStora explains how to do this), but also how to ensure startup does not require HipServ, then that would be a good start. Secondly, we need a combination dynamic DNS + VPN solution to restore the remote accessibility functions that we previously got via the Mystora.com portal.

As the Premium subscription is a contract between customers and Netgear, it must be honoured. Obviously, Netgear could simply refund the subscription, but it would win more friends by implementing a DDNS and VPM service exclusively for Netgear customers and maintinaing that as a for-life alternative to HipServ. That would make us all happy, preserve Netgear's reputation and provide a platform for use with ReadyNAS and other future developments.

As I find the time, I will continue to look for the means to do all of these things myself, but this should really be something Netgear takes on for us...

Message 78 of 148

Despite I agree with most that you said, the reason that people are angry in this topic is pure due to the lack of ANY communication about the issue.

It's been 3 weeks of complete downtime with another 2 months of random problems (site down, certificate issues etc.)

I'm a sys-engineer myself, so I understand the complexity possible with things like this. However if you're dealing with a large customer base, you should be clear and timely with your communication and Netgear is responsible for that, despite that its a subcontractor.
Message 79 of 148
gh58
Guide

@Dimitri1337: I completely agree! As I said, their biggest failing is that they did not let us know about the problem sooner and what was being done about it.

But that is about venting anger at what has already happened. What we really need is a way forward that gets us out of this mess.

Message 80 of 148
mcrs969
Luminary

Guys the fact is that:
- no communication was given about mystora.com down
- someone now is having a reflashed stora with no possibility to start it up until mystora.com is back
- data is still existing although stora has not completed re flash
- who payed premium subscription is not enjoying the "lifetime" service so advertised
- LAN performances have been jeopardized by some stora attempt to connect mystora.com
- netgear is doing something for us
- netgear found root cause issue (hipserv server shutdown)
- among solutions it was proposed to upgrade to readynas

I believe this could be a summary for who joins now the topic, did I miss something?
From Netgear... any news?

Please do not attempt recovering stora until you can visit mystora.com

Message 81 of 148
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

mcrsc99 if you wipe your data obviously it would be gone, but if you don't do anything to do that hopefully it would still be there. Of course backups are essential. No important data should be stored on just the one device, no matter what that device is.

@Cunny wrote:
I'm not a fan of the current situation at all.

We are looking into whether we can get the server back up. When a 3rd party shuts down a server and they control it we can't just flick a switch to turn it back on if they're not willing to do that. We're looking into what we can do.

@Cunny wrote:

As for trying to push people to a readynas solution is bad in itself. What happens in the next 5 years or so and netgear or a third party decide it's no longer viable to keep the server running?

We will more than likely be here again.

We have many users who have never connected their ReadyNAS units to the internet and they work fine. Some 10+ year old ReadyNAS systems are still in use. Whilst we have ceased development on some old ReadyNAS models they are still very much usable provided the hardware hasn't failed.

Sure some ReadyNAS features rely on an internet connection e.g. remote update (can do a local update just fine without an internet connection), Cloud services (e.g. ReadyCLOUD), our APT repo (contains dependencies for some apps). These wouldn't work if the servers are turned off. Other things like email alerts rely on an internet connection and would still work if we shut off our servers as the emails are sent directly from your NAS via your email provider. We have greater control over our servers. With the ReadyNAS we control both the hardware and the software development.

Message 82 of 148
wide_inside_too
Aspirant

Hi mdgm, thanks for the update. Let's stop talking about readynas features though, it's muddying the water.
Message 83 of 148
Mildeel
Aspirant

Hi Dux,

As you say Netgear are clearly 'not saying anything just hoping it will go away' - what they also need to realise is that - with the problem - a large section of their customer base is also going to go away.

I am lucky, my Stora is still working (although it has always been pretty flakey and needed restarting / resetting every few weeks throughout its 7 year life).  So I have laboriously backed everything up on an old PC and have ordered a nice new NAS from one of their competitors.  (I appreciate that I am also lucky that I can afford to do so)

How can Netgear expect anyone to trust them ever again...?

:O)

Message 84 of 148

Clearly people are not reading this thread fully.

Message 85 of 148
Hornets_Nest
Guide

Yessterday I had a reply from Netgear on Twitter and on Facebook:

"Our engineers are aware of that and are trying to resolve this issue asap. No ETA has been provided at the moment"

Message 86 of 148
mcrs969
Luminary

@Hornets_NestI got your same reply. The fact that NETGEAR has taken a official position makes me positive.

I see many detractors saying that there will not be any solution, I agree on the fact that the solution is not provided in a timely manner, but I still wait to give up and say NETGEAR won't help us. Also I am a premium User so I do not want to see my fee lost for this...

@mdgm-ntgr: I tell you one thing as we're drinking a beer together... if we keep discussing about suggesting upgrades to ReadyNAS you can expect 2 replies:

1) give us a discount coupon that allows us to get back the fee of premium Users + some extra discount because ReadyNAS is 3x more expensive than STORA,

2) we'll never be back to a company that rather than fixing a problem suggests to upgrade to a 3x more expensive device,

so be aware of the risks behind your suggestions. None of the 2 upper are not my replies at the moment, but Customers may not be "satisfied" by a statement like yours without a "positive" opportunity for them. As you saw someone already changed and it is not a positive sign.

As said I have bought many NETGEAR devices over the years and I hope NETGEAR is able to understand that Customers need to be Satisfied to return, nice concept of NPS (Net Promoted Score) that I see at least in Italy NETGEAR is using.

Personally, I'm hopeful and confident the problem has been:

- escalated

- found

and somebody will help us.

ciao!

Message 87 of 148
zcobra
Star

In case you were interested... Here's what Seagate is saying, on Facebook, about their implimentation of HipServ on their own seagateshares.com:

"We apologize that you're unable to remotely access your GoFlex Home using the Seagate Share service. We've been informed by the remote access provider that it will take up to two weeks to restore, unfortunately. We are trying to get it restored as soon as possible, though.

We apologize about this inconvenience."

So, is this accurate about HipServ or are they independently working on a solution without HipServ?  I'm sure we could line up the other manufacturers using HipServ and they all are scrambling as they have been "burned" by this problem.  

Message 88 of 148
Cappella
Tutor

Hi,

I not agree with You. I'm not interested any coupons or discounts. My STORA worked great (till problems with certificates on web page and right now with server off) and I don't need any other solution like ReadyNAS.

For me STORA offered all I needed, and I don't expect noting more - I want only this what was sold with those product when I decided to buy it.

I not accept solution to generate costs on our side. If NETGEAR can't give back full functionalities then should exchange extra our STORA to ReadyNAS for free.

Almost 3 months ago I informed NETGEAR PL support about problem with certificate on website - probably I was first in PL becouse support doesn't know about those problem. Right now no problem with certificate... becouse no website www.mystora.com.

I also bought many NETGEAR products, and say my friends good words about NETGEAR, but this failure with no solution probably will change my opinion about NETGEAR.

Do not instruct us about the backup, but tell us where you have a backup for this situation?

Message 89 of 148
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 3rd party could have kept their servers running but chose not to do what was needed to do that and not to warn us about what was happening.

We're looking into if anything can be done, but unfortunately it's a slow process.

Message 90 of 148
Kejserjorn
Initiate

Well... I followed the advice given and upgraded my nas - to a Synology. Model almost as old as the Stora, but works like a charm.

Thank you for the kind advise, Netgear support.
Message 91 of 148
Cappella
Tutor

At the moment, STORA works like a mass storage device and I can not use it for the purposes for which I bought it.

It needs to share files over the internet.

It's like having a car without a motor.

Three months without remote access... how long we can wait...

Message 92 of 148
mcrs969
Luminary

Hi @Cappella, I guess that your understanding is not correct vs my post:

I did not ask NETGEAR any discount or money or nothing, I just informed the mod that saying to upgrade is not wise, that's why I mentioned the beer as I gave him a suggestion which I am not supposed to say as a Customer... I put 2 cases, those cases are hypotetically linked to the possibility of not having mystora.com back online

But please let me clarify that mystora.com is offline since 29April, so 3 months are not representative, you rather want to say 3 weeks... perhaps we have issues with certificates from February, but this did not shut down our "premium" FTP access or our online access...

Let's hope in NETGEAR solution, i can understand it takes time but they said they're committed and I believe although it is already visible a bit of damage, I really hope NETGEAR management or NETGEAR sales are aware of the social/forum reputations because they'll catch the effects over the next years of the "not prompt" problem solutions...

Message 93 of 148
Cappella
Tutor

Hello @mcrs969,
3 months is a valid value. The end user can not access the files over the internet through a web page certificate issue. If you had an updated version of your browser, you could not view www.mystora.com. The end user will not change the browser's advanced settings to view an access page or install an older version of the browser - it should provide a web address and be able to use STORA, that's all. I also mean public access to files for everyone, not just for accounts created, so FTP access is not considered.

If NETGEAR knew about the page certificate problem 3 months ago, he had to contact "HipServ". Failure to handle page certificate referrals for a period of 2 months should give rise to some suspicion that something is wrong and take the appropriate steps.

We have to be patient. We are waiting for a solution from NETGEAR, hopefully they will find them.

Message 94 of 148
apuk2004
Guide

*Restoring Stora HDD data*

Just to add to this, as I had issues with the virtualbox method, you don't even have to install Ubuntu at all.

Simply download the latest version of Ubuntu 17 (64bit) and then burn it to a spare USB stick using the USB creation tool.

Now when you reboot Windows 10 it should boot off the stick and you can just select the first option "try Ubuntu without installing."

This should only take a few minutes to get to the Ubuntu desktop (unlike installing via virtualbox which takes ages) and I found I could plug in a usb enclosure containing one of my STORA drives and also attach a spare 4TB external drive and copy between them at roughly 15mb/s.

I didn't even need to run gparted or any other terminal commands (apart from Sudo -i) as the drives were auto detected and mounted on the desktop so I could just cut & paste between them 🙂
Message 95 of 148
mcrs969
Luminary

@Cappellapersonally my point of view is more pragmatic.

I had certificate issues, I went on my updated Firefox and I fixed it by advanced options so I reached mystora.com until 29 April, from 29 April I have the real discomfort and I need a help from the Service Provider (NETGEAR or HipPlay/HipServ/Axentra)

FTP was using DDNS of mystora.com (storaname.mystora.com) and it was also claimed in some of the premium subscription, I have lost it, from 29 April I have the real discomfort and I need a help from the Service Provider (NETGEAR or HipPlay/HipServ/Axentra)

I understand, as you point out and as I have written to Axentra at that time, that from February we had issues with certificates, this, at least in a efficiently handled service, should raise some concern; since the service was partnered I guess NETGEAR was even not aware, and we as Customers did not complain so we can't now fully blame NETGEAR, of course a bit yes... 😄

Nevertheless I don't want to count the Users, but several people abbandoned the hope and moved to competitors, this should raise even more concern to NETGEAR...

Message 96 of 148
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Stora is a legacy network storage product that NETGEAR launched in 2009.  It relies on persistent cloud connection for device discovery, and data access.  The cloud service is provided by a service partner, HipPlay, a.k.a., HipServ.

Most recently, HipPlay has a change in its business disposition on which NETGEAR did not receive an advanced notice.  We understand that our customers are in distress and we are working to resolve the issue with the service partner as soon as possible.

Message 97 of 148
Cunny
Aspirant

Congratulations to netgear.

Thank you for resolving the cloud issue I can now see my stora over the Internet

However we are still getting 'There was an error retrieving the page you requested. The error has been logged for the Administrators' reference' fault but it's a step in the right direction 🙂
Message 98 of 148
mcrs969
Luminary

Grazie (thank you) NETGEAR to bring back online the mystora.com webpage.

I also report some certificate issue in accessing the page and, after login is passed, an error is recorded and will be submitted to administrator for reference.

But we see a step to the solution, thanks NETGEAR!

Michele

Message 99 of 148
Roscoaus
Star

Agree that it is great to see mystora back online but I am still unable to register followind reset of the Stora.  I'm still getting the following error:

Your Stora was unable to register itself with mystora.com. Please consult the error message below, and email support@netgear.com if necessary.

There was an internal error when registering your HipServ device.
The problem has been logged for the Central Server admimistrators' reference.
Please try again later.

unable to get database handle: Unknown MySQL server host 'netgearcsdb.c7neb0etvhdd.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com' (0) at /usr/sbin/cpe-register.pl line 70.

Retry   Help 

Please resolve this issue also.

Message 100 of 148
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7