× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

BretD
Admin

AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

readynasArtboard 2-BD1.pngWe are hosting an extended 4 week Ask Me Anything AMA for the NETGEAR ReadyNAS line of products and we would love to answer your ReadyNAS questions. Best of all, posting your question below enters you in a sweepstake to win a ReadyNAS 214 with 4x 2-terabyte hard drives.  

*Update - 9/14 - The Winner has been contacted - We will announce soon. 

Learn more about NETGEAR ReadyNAS products for Home  and ReadyNAS for Small & Medium businesses.

Sweepstakes rules and alternative means of entry:

How to ask a question and enter:

• In the discussion thread below post a question for our ReadyNAS team about ReadyNAS products.
  • During the Questions & Answers and entry period: 7/26/2017 – 8/28/2017 a ReadyNAS rep will visit this thread and answer relevant questions Monday-Friday.
  • After the Q&A is finished one lucky respondent will be chosen at random to receive a ReadyNAS 214!

We look forward to your questions.

Good Luck

Update 8/29 - The AMA Period is now closed. Thank you to everyone for submitting their questions about ReadyNAS.

Register to post your question

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 218
ericwilborn
Guide

What drives do you recommend for use in the 214?

Message 2 of 218
voodoogts
Aspirant

I read the spec on the NAS that it has a full 1080p transcoding capability. Can you go over this feature? Will this effect anything if I have large amounts of 4k video content stored on the NAS?
Message 3 of 218
xGurbyx
Initiate

Is there any way to have the ReadyCloud Desktop app sync both ways? so far I have only been able to have copies of whatever it's on my computer but if I delete something in my hard drive it doesn't get deleted in the ReadyNAS, that makes me have a bunch of old files that I don't need anymore, I have to delete them twice, in my hard drive and then in the ReadyNAS. I'd love to have that feature, to be able to have an exact copy all the time, is that already a feature? and if not is it somewhere in the plans of coming up things? thanks in advance! 🙂

Model: RN212D22|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 4 of 218
StaticFX
Tutor

Forgive my stupidity on this.. I could take this and just plug it into my Nighthawk Router and be able to make picutre backups from my Cell phone anywhere correct?  What other models can this be done with?  I seriously need something like this im always plugging my phone in to make backups of the pics!

Message 5 of 218
okbrown
Aspirant

Would using the ReadyNAS 214 be overkill  for use as a video security recorder?

Message 6 of 218
cajunchief
Aspirant

Will the ReadyNAS work on a very reliable O/S such ad Linux?
Message 7 of 218
Kardano
Luminary

Is there any model of readyNAS where i can see real life usagediferrence between using 7200rpm HDD drives compare to 5400rpm drives?

Message 8 of 218
greenuid
Initiate

I would like to know if the ReadyNAS 214 can run as a Plex server for streaming HD movies, and if it can be recommended for that purpose.

Message 9 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

The answer to your question is yes. Readynas devices were among the first to support Plex, but the application was removed from the list during firmware updates. To download the application, please visit the PLEX website.

Message 10 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

The ReadyNas devices use an Apache/Debian configuration running a custom OS, simply referred to as OS x.x.

Message 11 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

Any ReadyNas with the ReadyPhotos application installed can automatically backup photos on any mobile device with the companion application installed.

Message 12 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

Western Digital RED...

Message 13 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

Transcoding is a feature of individual applications, please check the application specs to understand how they handle 4K content.

Message 14 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

The device is great for surveillance. The ability to extend storage enables users to record for longer periods of time and at higher resolutions. The ReadySurveillance application is available through the Apps menu and supports a wide range of cameras that can be found at various retailers. 

Message 15 of 218
avtella
Prodigy

Does this model support virtualization like the 52X/62X series.
Message 16 of 218
jak0lantash
Mentor

New ReadyNAS hardware is released that brings different CPUs and RAM, sometimes different NICs, new software releases brings some new features. Except for the RR4360, there isn't any new unit that truly makes a difference, that brings something really new to the product line.

Are you planning on releasing ReadyNAS products that bring new features? Such as a media center version with an HDMI port and something like Kodi embedded. Or a NAS with DAS capabilities, so it can be connected directly to a computer and allow direct storage, which could be useful to a broad range of customers, from the novice to home office and power user.

Is Docker going to be natively supported by ReadyNAS? This is available on most mainstream NASes nowadays and really boosts a NAS capabilities. There are some powerful x86 ReadyNASes but no native virtualization platform to truly take advantage of their CPU.

How about Arlo? Any plan on adding support to store Arlo videos on ReadyNAS?

Will there be a new ReadyNAS OS with a revised interface, possibly with easy and advanced mode (or more control than currently)?

Message 17 of 218
Rottenweiler
Tutor

Does the 214 run OS6? 

How does an ARM processor compare to Intel models?

Can you use the 10TB drives in this system?

Thanks.

Message 18 of 218
voodoogts
Aspirant

Is the NAS214 built in anti virus software free and is it automatically updating ?
Message 19 of 218
Piggy3754
Aspirant

I see that there is Anti-Virus software running on the ReadyNAS, but not by defaul, but who's list are you running? How often is the update pushed out and will it be realtime or required download? I know that I often set and forget devices such as a NAS, so this is a main concern for me.

Message 20 of 218
Eryk1138
Aspirant

We have 2 models readyNAS 626X, one offsite and one on premis, I also have a small 2 bay ReadyNas at my home. I know these use Debian as an OS, however I am somewhat confused as to what ReadyDR and Rsync do behind the scenes and at the Linix level. Could you please explane that?

Model: ReadyNASRN12G0620|ReadyNAS 4200 12TB (6 X 2TB Enterprise)
Message 21 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

You can go to this link, select RN214 in the pull down menu.  You will see a list of compatible HDDs.

For RN214, a 2TB desktop HDD would be good.  Populate all four bays, you will get 8TB total capacity, and around 6TB to 6.5TB effective storage space, derated due to data protection redudancy.

Message 22 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

You can go to this link, select RN214 in the pull down menu.  You will see a list of compatible HDDs.

For RN214, a 2TB desktop HDD would be good.  Populate all four bays, you will get 8TB total capacity, and around 6TB to 6.5TB effective storage space, derated due to data protection redudancy.

Message 23 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@voodoogts wrote:
I read the spec on the NAS that it has a full 1080p transcoding capability. Can you go over this feature? Will this effect anything if I have large amounts of 4k video content stored on the NAS?

Different models have different performance on performning render, transcoding, streaming of 1080p video.  Most often, people talk about this feature in the context of running Plex.  If you want to play 4k video, for smooth streaming, I'd recommend a RN524X or above.

Message 24 of 218
Newsat11
Luminary

Um, I get this contest is a great way to get everyone use to the new forum but it's not effective for responding to questions. This whole conversation is listed as a single topic, so many of the people who are asking questions will have to scroll through all the responses to get answers, and that's not the best experience with a new forum. However, I would like to say I like the digs.

Message 25 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7