× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Re: AMA - Ask Us Anything About ReadyNAS and You Could Win a ReadyNAS 214!

@xGurbyx wrote:

Is there any way to have the ReadyCloud Desktop app sync both ways? so far I have only been able to have copies of whatever it's on my computer but if I delete something in my hard drive it doesn't get deleted in the ReadyNAS, that makes me have a bunch of old files that I don't need anymore, I have to delete them twice, in my hard drive and then in the ReadyNAS. I'd love to have that feature, to be able to have an exact copy all the time, is that already a feature? and if not is it somewhere in the plans of coming up things? thanks in advance! 🙂

Yes, there is a way to do bi-directional sync.

There are two distinct functions from ReadyCLOUD desktop app.  There is "sync" and there is "backup".  You can create a backup job where all the content in the folder (ReadyCLOUD will create the folder for you on your PC) will be backed up to ReadyNAS.  A different function is sync.  You first tell ReadyCLOUD which folder you want to sync from your ReadyNAS, ReadyCLOUD will create a mirror folder on the PC.  In the future, all material in both folders will be synchronized.   There are sufficient amount of KB articles available on this topic, with step-by-step instruction.

Message 26 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@StaticFX wrote:

Forgive my stupidity on this.. I could take this and just plug it into my Nighthawk Router and be able to make picutre backups from my Cell phone anywhere correct?  What other models can this be done with?  I seriously need something like this im always plugging my phone in to make backups of the pics!

All currently in production ReadyNAS (ReadyNAS OS 6 models) has the accompanied app on iOS and Android that allows you to back up photo from your phone to ReadyNAS.  You have the option to decide if you want to run backup only when you are on WiFi (as oppose to cellualr data network).

Message 27 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@Kardano wrote:

Is there any model of readyNAS where i can see real life usagediferrence between using 7200rpm HDD drives compare to 5400rpm drives?

What kind of "useage difference" do you want to see?  Data throughput?  It is hard to compared.  Throughput depends on the CPU, memory, OS, file system, application, etc. etc. All we know is 7200rpm is faster.  But by how much?  The difference depends greatly on the factors I just mentioned, and oh yes, file type, read/write sequencing, etc. etc.

Message 28 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@Newsat11 wrote:

Any ReadyNas with the ReadyPhotos application installed can automatically backup photos on any mobile device with the companion application installed.

Try to use ReadyCLOUD instead of ReadyPhotos.  You get more out of ReadyCLOUD.  For the photo features in the ReadyPhotos, you can get those feature from other more modern apps.

Message 29 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, RN526X, 626X are compatible with VMware 6.0.

Message 30 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@Rottenweiler wrote:

Does the 214 run OS6? 

How does an ARM processor compare to Intel models?

Can you use the 10TB drives in this system?

Thanks.

Simply put, Intel processors are 64-bit, ARM processors are 32-bit.  Of course, a modern ARM processor outperforms against a 2004 Intel processor.  So, you do need to look at the architecture, the speed, etc. etc.  But in general, if you are buying a new product from the same vendor, it is safe to assume that a system based on Intel processor is faster than one that is based on ARM.  

In the example of ReadyNAS, you have a quad core ARM in RN212/214.  It is still slower than a dual core Intel in a RN420 (422/424/426/428).

The size of the drive does not have any relevance to the overall performance (tiny bit, almost not noticeable).  It runs the same, slow or fast.  It is the conduit (i.e. interface) between the HDD and the mother board in the ReadyNAS that determines the speed.  Of course, the spec of the motherboard.

Message 31 of 218
abox
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Newsat11 wrote:

Um, I get this contest is a great way to get everyone use to the new forum but it's not effective for responding to questions. This whole conversation is listed as a single topic, so many of the people who are asking questions will have to scroll through all the responses to get answers, and that's not the best experience with a new forum. However, I would like to say I like the digs.

Newsat11 - I agree! We are going to let things roll and keep this up for now. You are providing some super helpful responses! Would you mind using the "quote" feature to help clarify what you are answering? 

We are already reviewing some really cool ways to run these going forward. Stay tuned, and thanks for helping!

Alex

Message 32 of 218
antics
Aspirant

how easy is it to set up for someone who isnt really knowledgeable about nas.

Message 33 of 218
William10a
Master

I would love to move from a usb drive to a full nas storage system and from I understand is it is easier to manage for multiple computer system.

Message 34 of 218
Guppy
Star

I was looking into whether the ReadyNAS can be used with the Arlo home cameras.  According to the thread below from 2016, they are not yet integrated.  Do you know if Arlo support will be added?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Current-NETGEAR-and-Partners/Arlo-cameras-with-ReadyNAS-Surveillanc...

Message 35 of 218
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@douglas_cheung wrote:

Simply put, Intel processors are 64-bit, ARM processors are 32-bit.  Of course, a modern ARM processor outperforms against a 2004 Intel processor.  So, you do need to look at the architecture, the speed, etc. etc.  But in general, if you are buying a new product from the same vendor, it is safe to assume that a system based on Intel processor is faster than one that is based on ARM. 

This is incorrect - ARM publicly released 64-bit architecture in 2011, some NAS vendors are using 64-bit ARM processors today. For example, Marvell quote ARMADA 3700 for NAS use cases, Annapurna Labs (their 32-bit ARM based Alpine SoC is used in RN21x) also have 64-bit ARM based SoCs for NAS applications too, and there are others. I'm not trying to start a big debate, just prefer correct information.

In the example of ReadyNAS, you have a quad core ARM in RN212/214.  It is still slower than a dual core Intel in a RN420 (422/424/426/428).

That may well be correct, I think it is important to specify "slower" at what task/activity. It would be helpful to have quantitative data to demonstrate the real differences for those tasks.

Message 36 of 218
hmlopeztexoma
Aspirant

Is there embeded backup software for PCs and laptops or simply using the backup functionality in Windows 10 is what is needed?

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 37 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@okbrown wrote:

Would using the ReadyNAS 214 be overkill  for use as a video security recorder?

It really depends on how many camera you plan to use.  I assume that you have calculated the capacity you need to store the video.  Your only variable should be how many cameras, what resolution, what frame rate you want to support.

It is already a rumor that is leaked by Milestone.  ReadyNAS will support Milestone VMS in a few weeks.  Unfortunately, it only runs on RN422 and above.  But the software is fantastic, paired with the ReadyNAS hardware.

Hope that helps.

Message 38 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@greenuid wrote:

I would like to know if the ReadyNAS 214 can run as a Plex server for streaming HD movies, and if it can be recommended for that purpose.

Yes, I would recommend that for that purpose.

But if you think that you want multiple HD streams, or 4k streams, it is probably safer to go with their newer RN420 (422/424/426/428) series.  That is based on a much more powerful CPU (Intel Atom 64-bit processor, vs. 32-bit from ARM.)

Message 39 of 218
slompochomp
Guide

Currently I am using a SSD drive connected to my routers USB 3.0 port with a USB 3.0 to SATA cable and just using the ReadyShare on the router. How well does ReadyNAS 214 proforme compaired to what I have currently setup and what other benifits would I expect to see with the ReadyNAS 214?

Thanks in advanced!

Message 40 of 218
ahpsi1
Tutor

Any chance for a directory server add-on (Samba domain controller) for the 214 in the future?

Message 41 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@voodoogts wrote:
Is the NAS214 built in anti virus software free and is it automatically updating ?

Yes, it is free.  It updates once a day, automatically.

Message 42 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@Piggy3754 wrote:

I see that there is Anti-Virus software running on the ReadyNAS, but not by defaul, but who's list are you running? How often is the update pushed out and will it be realtime or required download? I know that I often set and forget devices such as a NAS, so this is a main concern for me.

The ReadyNAS automatically updates the virus database once a day, of course, as long as you turn on that feature.  ReadyNAS uses an open source anti-virus database.

Message 43 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@Eryk1138 wrote:

We have 2 models readyNAS 626X, one offsite and one on premis, I also have a small 2 bay ReadyNas at my home. I know these use Debian as an OS, however I am somewhat confused as to what ReadyDR and Rsync do behind the scenes and at the Linix level. Could you please explane that?

rsync is a file level backup tool.  

ReadyDR operates at the block level.  Therefore, it is more incremental, requires less Internet bandwidth (helpful in your case when you have two systems across the WAN), and it has NETGEAR ReadyNAS software management UI around it.  The ReadyNAS UI makes it simple to set up, and the software places the snapshots in the destination unit in a separate share that is not writable by anyone, including the admin.  This is a great anti-ransomware tool.  

To people who use ReadyNAS more than a NAS, like iSCSI JBOD, VM storage, the additional benefit is that ReadyDR backs up everything, because it is block level, including LUN, VM storage.

Message 44 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@antics wrote:

how easy is it to set up for someone who isnt really knowledgeable about nas.

It is pretty easy.  There are a lot of knowledge based articles available.  But for an easy-to-follow visual illustration, you can view this video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fgBwJ2RZPI

Enjoy!

Message 45 of 218
jak0lantash
Mentor

New ReadyNAS hardware is released that brings different CPUs and RAM, sometimes different NICs, new software releases brings some new features. Except for the RR4360, there isn't any new unit that truly makes a difference, that brings something really new to the product line.
Are you planning on releasing ReadyNAS products that bring new features? Such as a media center version with an HDMI port and something like Kodi embedded. Or a NAS with DAS capabilities, so it can be connected directly to a computer and allow direct storage, which could be useful to a broad range of customers, from the novice to home office and power user.

Is Docker going to be natively supported by ReadyNAS? This is available on most mainstream NASes nowadays and really boosts a NAS capabilities. There are some powerful x86 ReadyNASes but no native virtualization platform to truly take advantage of their CPU.

How about Arlo? Any plan on adding support to store Arlo videos on ReadyNAS?

Will there be a new ReadyNAS OS with a revised interface, possibly with easy and advanced mode (or more control than currently)?

+ Is there going to be a RN322? (aka an x86 unit cheaper than RN422).

Message 46 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@jak0lantash wrote:

New ReadyNAS hardware is released that brings different CPUs and RAM, sometimes different NICs, new software releases brings some new features. Except for the RR4360, there isn't any new unit that truly makes a difference, that brings something really new to the product line.
Are you planning on releasing ReadyNAS products that bring new features? Such as a media center version with an HDMI port and something like Kodi embedded. Or a NAS with DAS capabilities, so it can be connected directly to a computer and allow direct storage, which could be useful to a broad range of customers, from the novice to home office and power user.

Is Docker going to be natively supported by ReadyNAS? This is available on most mainstream NASes nowadays and really boosts a NAS capabilities. There are some powerful x86 ReadyNASes but no native virtualization platform to truly take advantage of their CPU.

How about Arlo? Any plan on adding support to store Arlo videos on ReadyNAS?

Will there be a new ReadyNAS OS with a revised interface, possibly with easy and advanced mode (or more control than currently)?

+ Is there going to be a RN322? (aka an x86 unit cheaper than RN422).

RN422 is at about the same price as RN312 now... 

The world has moved on... RN422 will be the new darling, like RN312.

Message 47 of 218
maibaum
Aspirant

Are there any plans  to offer a package which would include all the essential Netgear products for setting up your home network? Aka a combo package with ReadyNAS  + WiFi router + modem + cabling. It would be an insta-buy for me if it came  with an enclosure for the devices.

Message 48 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@slompochomp wrote:

Currently I am using a SSD drive connected to my routers USB 3.0 port with a USB 3.0 to SATA cable and just using the ReadyShare on the router. How well does ReadyNAS 214 proforme compaired to what I have currently setup and what other benifits would I expect to see with the ReadyNAS 214?

Thanks in advanced!

Using ReadyShare is a great start.  Once you are comfortable with that technology, but hunger for more, you should look at RN214.

1. The performance of data access is limited by the router.  RN214 is a dedicated device just for data storage, access and sharing.  

2. RN214 has four drives.  Obviously, larger capacity.  For sure, especially that your current USB is a SSD based storage.  Also, this is very important, a four drive system, when you configure it as RAID5 (default), you will have protection.  RN214 comes with 5 levels of data protection against mechanical, physical, human, system level errors, and virus attacks.  

3. There are more sharing, streaming, oh, yes, Plex, that is not avaible in the router.  (Plex is available to the very high end models of NETGEAR Nighthawk.  But, obviously, the performance is, again, limited by the Router.)

Message 49 of 218
douglas_cheung
NETGEAR Expert

@maibaum wrote:

Are there any plans  to offer a package which would include all the essential Netgear products for setting up your home network? Aka a combo package with ReadyNAS  + WiFi router + modem + cabling. It would be an insta-buy for me if it came  with an enclosure for the devices.

I am sure that would be NETGEAR marketing's dream.  That is a great idea for a digital store where the buyer is asked a series of questions and products are recommended to him/her and placed into a basket.

A fixed bundle is probably not realistic because there are so many cominbations and permutations of possibilities.

Message 50 of 218
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7