Aspirant

My device stopped working. Help!

Hi all.

So I recently unboxed the EVA2000 and hooked it up to the screen. Everything was working fine and I tested a YouTube video to make sure. I then did hard reset (By holding the power button for 8 seconds) and when it come back, this is what happens:

1. My Main Menu consists of only 3 categories:
-My Collection
-Internet TV
-Settings

2. Choosing My Collection or Internet TV doesn't work, instead it automatically highlights Settings for me.

I have done restorations to factory settings, power off and on, I tried everything. The Client Version I have is 4.0.0.14.2.3.9 and here's an interesting part, right under the Client Version is "Server Version" and I remember at one point it was "4.3.x.x.x.x" but now it has changed to "6.0.x.x.x.x".

Does the server version mean the latest client version? If so, how do I update the client version?
Aspirant

Re: My device stopped working. Help!

Also to note a few things:
When pressing the Search button on the remote, I successfully can search through the different video streaming websites. However, despite results showing from youtube channels, when clicking on any youtube video, I get the following error "Title not accessible at this time. Please try again later". Other video streaming providers work fine (DailyMotion, HBO, MSN, etc).

Hooking an External hard disk works fine too.
Novice

did you ever solve this as I have the same problem with a newly purchased unit.
Aspirant

I'm going back and forth with the Netgear support center to solve this issue. So far nowhere.
Novice

Solid0Snake wrote:
I'm going back and forth with the Netgear support center to solve this issue. So far nowhere.

Having exact same issue -- tried to open a support ticket and got:

We regret to inform, Your Request Could not be processed at the moment due to technical difficulties.... Please try again later.

Wow, does Netgear really think that in this market, with linksys, belkin, and a host of others breathing down their market share's neck, that they can get away with such unmitigated crap for support?
Aspirant

I'm facing the same problem .. I've tried to update the firmware and after the attempt, the menu itens disappear ... I'm sure that was the connection to the server made this ... Please .. anyone .. I waited for 2 years until the subtitle issues were OK .. and now .. another problem ...
EVA2000
My Collection
Internet Video
Settings

Tks ...

Luiz
Aspirant

i have the exact same issue, i have 3 of these boxes and they all loose almost all functionality as soon as they connect to the internet,
i found this link:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/gpl-open-source-code-for-programmers

maybe someone can figure out a way to fix or roll back with the code...
Aspirant

Did anyone get any joy.... I have the same issue .... Only able to access the settings menu and not My Collections or Internet.
There is absolutely no point in having this device if this is all that it can do.
Netgear must be in breach of their basic responsibilities... Selling a product that just doesn't work.
Aspirant

Since so many people are having this problem I don't understand why a Netgear moderator does not answer this question.

I called for support and they said I needed to fax my sales receipt which unfortunately I don't have. Then they hung up on me.
Highlighted
Guru

JoeyG wrote:
Since so many people are having this problem I don't understand why a Netgear moderator does not answer this question.

I called for support and they said I needed to fax my sales receipt which unfortunately I don't have. Then they hung up on me.
You could try opening an on-line support case at http://support.netgear.com/app/contact
Aspirant

Anyone find a solution to this problem? I just picked up one of these brand new and I am having this exact same problem. I thought it was because I didn't have PlayOn streaming on my computer, so I bought a 4 month subscription and still nothing.

I know I can get a refund on for the PlayOn subscription if this doesn't work but if some one has any info on how to either upgrade/rollback the firmware or server version to fix this I would love to hear it.

Thanks Smiley Happy
Aspirant

Got Some help from Netgear tech support

So a little up date for everyone out there with this problem.

I had just purchased my unit yesterday, brand new from a clearance table at my local RadioShack and it had this problems right out of the box. I only had three menu options on the main screen and the only one it would let me click was Settings.

So I called tech support, they walked me through the basic troubleshooting, factory rest, trying a static IP and they even had me try connecting with an HDMI cable rather than the RCA cables (like that would be it Smiley Happy ).

No luck with any of that, and before they could go any farther I had to fax a copy of my receipt to them to prove that my product was still under warranty. Before I got of the line he gave me the fax number to send my receipt to and a case number to reference the issue.

I faxed in my receipt with a cover sheet that had my name and case ID. I called the next day, gave the case ID and the tech had me walk through a few more troubleshooting steps, more resets, but none of that helped. I tried to point her to this forum to show her that I wasn't the only one having this problem, that the issue was most likely a change to their server or due to a recent upgrade they pushed ou.

She was talking to a senior tech and apparently they hooked one of these EVA2000 up in there lab and there's was working (not sure it was the same model because she kept asking if I was connected via wifi which this model doesn't have unless you buy the extra accessory)

Anyway after 30-45 minutes on the phone they still couldn't fix my issue and they said they had never encountered this problem before. So she confirmed my information and set me up with an RMA number to have my unit replaced.

I am a little worried that they will sent me another EVA2000, and it will have the same issue because it seems to be an issue with their server/updates but hopefully the one I get back will be working. Maybe when they get my unit in their lab it will help them fix the issues everyone else has been having but for those of you that are having this same issue and are still within the warranty period, you should be able to get them to issue an RMA to replace your unit. The customer support people I spoke to were very friendly and tried their best to get my problem fixed.

If you out of warranty, then hopefully I got high enough with customer support that they will try to get a fix worked out for this issue.

Good luck to everyone, if you're still within warranty and want the case number they gave me that has the tech notes on my case feel free to PM me.
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat - client 4.0.0.14.2.3.9, server bounces between 4.3.3.6.2.3.1 & 6.0.8.23.2.3.1

I was able to get local media (network or usb) to play as follows: 1) let unit boot to menu with no usb attached; 2) insert usb storage device; 3) wait for prompt "generic usb storage device connected... view the media files on this device?" & select Yes (OK); 4) now either browse the usb device, or press Back on remote to browse home network media.
Novice

Netgear are a waste of time with helping. I really can't believe their allowed to continue to sell this product without any true support.

I was told that I needed a firmware upgrade to fix the problem yet they wouldn't supply me with one, and after five emails to each other they stopped helping.

I know you can change the firmware using the open source code they've provided but I don't know how to access the FTP to reprogramme it.

Also noticed that Crackle has disappeared now which is a shame and PlayOn is a waste of time if you live in the UK as Netflix won't work and there's no iPlayer, which in my own opinion if PlayOn was more adaptable to the UK and the Netflix and BBC iPlayer issued were resolved then I would just use the EVA2000 for just that.
Novice

Wow, well I just wanted to add that I am having the same issue and I am completely stumped. The YouTube worked when I first plugged it in, but now I only have My Collection, Internet Video, and Settings options. I can watch videos when I select the search option and select one of those videos.

I tried the chat help that is free and that was useless.
Aspirant

thanks for info.
Discussion Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation