× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A6210 AC Not getting "AC" connection

LoboStylez
Tutor

A6210 AC Not getting "AC" connection

Greetings - Quick Dilemma that I wanted to inquire about.

My problem seems to be somewhat around but I haven't seen anyone with my exact setup to try and recreate their solution. Below you will find my current setup. For what ever reason, when I connect to my 5Ghz, I cannot connect to the AC Version of my WiFI - It only goes to "N." (802.11n) -- But When I have friends or family visit with their laptops and such, they connect right to my 5Ghz connection and their WiFi stats in task manager show 802.11ac.

Here is a picture of my WiFI Stats. You will see that it only shows 802.11n:

And again, if someone else were to connect with default settings, they're able to get 802.11ac where mine shows "N" in the image.

Setup:
Router is a Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2350 - Model: R7500 (LINK HERE)
WiFi Adapter is Netgear AC1200 USB 3.0 - Model: A6210 (LINK HERE)

Not sure what I am doing wrong on my personal computer. Here's what I've done to try and fix it so far -

Steps Taken:

• Both netgear products

• I've updated the MediaTek drivers on my adapter

• Edited the advanced setting on the adapter to Only/Prefer 5Ghz

• Selected a channel below 150 on my 5Ghz network

So please, if anyone knows how to fix my issue, let me know ASAP.

Cheers!~

Message 1 of 23
LoboStylez
Tutor

Hoping to get this solved sometime soon. Here's a shameless bump.

Cheers!~
Message 2 of 23
netwrks
Master

What OS is running on your laptop?

Message 3 of 23
LoboStylez
Tutor

Hey there! Completely overlooked posting my computer stats. Sorry!

The computer in question is my Desktop - It's running Windows 10 64 Bit Professional.

Message 4 of 23
netwrks
Master

According to the documentation, Windows 10 is not included as a supported OS...

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/A6210/A6210_UM_5Aug2014.pdf -  Page 39

Message 5 of 23
Icebear8
Aspirant

i to also have a A6210 and a nighthawk X4 and just noticed today that this whole time it says i am using N and not AC (i'm also on windows 10 as well) i was just about to post the same thing you just did as well.

Message 6 of 23
LoboStylez
Tutor

Yeah - Looking over it now, I sure do hope they release and update or something that allows this device to enable AC on Windows 10. That's just a little disappointing.

Makes me kinda sad. Man Sad

Message 7 of 23
Icebear8
Aspirant

i just bought a steam link and was wondering why in the hell am i getting such slow speeds and then i noticed i have not been running AC this whole dang time when i thought i was.

Message 8 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello LoboStylez

this is a display error and the connection type is indeed 802.11AC. We are currently debugging the issue and working on a fix.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 23
diegolaz
Aspirant

Mine says N also (windows 10), but if I see the "connection map" in my router, it also says its connected to 2.4Ghz while other devices show as conected to the 5ghz network..

Is there an option to choose whicho frecuency to connect to?

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 10 of 23
captainbeans
Aspirant

Yes, I am having the same problem.

However, I do not believe that this is siomply a display problem because I measured file transfer speeds ....

Please supply a working driver !

Message 11 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Can you try to force the USB connection to 3.0 in the adapter properties.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 23
captainbeans
Aspirant

Hi James,

Untitled.png

But still 802.11n connection. Please advise further.

Message 13 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi captainbeans,

Please check your inbox.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 14 of 23
smite
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem. I am running the latest release of windows 10 64, connecting to a netgear d7000 with all settings to force the use of AC and yet in task manager is shows 802.11n and my speeds on a dedicated 1g fiber connection over wilress is at n speeds. i have tried forcing usb to 3 and other advanced settings for the adapter. I would prefer to not return this if i can get it working.

Message 15 of 23
smite
Aspirant

bumping in the hopes of getting a reply with a solution.

Message 16 of 23
captainbeans
Aspirant

Hi,

Netgear provided a "patched" test driver, which has solved the problem.

I guess that you could contact them directly, or wait until the fixes have been integrated into the next release of the driver.

Tip: Make a measure of transfer speeds with 802.11n and then compare once you have the 802.11ac connection up and running.

Also make sure that your router is sending out a 5Ghz signal. This can be easily checked by connecting with a modern Android or Iphone.

Best,

Tom

Message 17 of 23
smite
Aspirant

Hi Thanks for the reply. I was on the phone with netgear support for about 2 plus hours yesterday evening and they claimed the issue is with my new netgear nighthawk router and not with the adapter or software and offered me an RMA for the brand new router. That seems really silly to me.

I pointed them to this thread to ensure they saw the issues and still they did not offer a patched driver. I had assumed that they provided you with that, given the prior message to you regarding a PM.

I would greatly appreciate getting a copy of the patched driver if possible otherwise i will be returning this one for another brand with working w10 drivers before my return period expires.

Any chance you still have it?

Message 18 of 23
captainbeans
Aspirant

Yes I do.

However, this is a PreTest driver (1.0.0.35 PreTest2) and firmware update (if I remember correctly) which means that you should probably wait for the next official release.

Please send me a place to upload to.

Message 19 of 23
smite
Aspirant

PM sent. Thanks!

Message 20 of 23
dk2463123
Aspirant

So I'm unclear about a resolution here. There is a driver/software download for the A6210 that says it's for Windows 10. I've downloaded and run it using both the full install and the standalone and the drivers do not install anything new. The best driver I can see is from 2015. Is the .35 on this site supposedly the "fix" for the no AC issue?

thanks

Message 21 of 23
Addyman
Aspirant

I'm getting the exact same issue! Supposed to be a brand new driver but is from 2015. My adapter is connecting but cannot get it to show as a Netgear adapter in my Device Manager, just shows as 802.11ac Wireless LAN Card. 

Also, I'm getting corrupted downloads all the time. 

I've had issues with this adapter ever since going to Windows 10. Netgear please help!!!!

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 22 of 23
Furma
Aspirant

also have the same issues

1) netgear genie is unable to detect the device during installion (altho driver installs just fine, windows reports it as a 802.11ac wireless card instead of netgear a6210) - A6210 is insterted into USB3.0 port (directly on the MBO), I have 5G radio and USB 3.0 speed selected in wireless card properties

2) windows reports only being connected to 802.11n instead of 802.11ac - I have Asus RT-AC68U with following config:

and this is what I get in my win10 pro x64 installation:

I've tried reinstalling the driver several times, including the standalone setup - come to think of it, win10 never reported using 802.11ac connection, always 802.11n

get your schit together netgear - I bought A6210 specifically cause of its 802.11ac capabilities

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7