× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: A8000 Firmware.

DebiMarie
Aspirant

A8000 Firmware.

I am wondering which of the two updates on the A8000 page is the most current?  I have the 1.0.0.108 installed and this one 1.0.0.125, wasn't available during my last visit checking for updates.

Secondly, I am wireless with a TP Link 6/6e router which supports this band and also using Windows 11 Pro. The best speed that I'm getting is 866/460 when I switch to the 6G side of the router. It was either in the folder on my C: drv of MTKOEMX or MT7612U that stated that 866 mbps was the max speed of this adapter. I confirmed this by switching to 6G side and it displayed 866 mbps. my 5G side is 1201/1201 and the 6eG side should at least be getting the same speed as I understand. Placing it on ax side rendered everything blanked out, placing it back to ac, everything works as usual.

What may be done to get true 6e operational with the max speed assured with the A8000??

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

@DebiMarie wrote:

I am wondering which of the two updates on the A8000 page is the most current? 

I usually reckon that the one at the top of the list is the latest.

A8000 Software Version 1.0.0.125 (Windows) - NETGEAR Support

That one came out on 03/08/2024 which, when converted into real-world dates, amounts to 08/03/2024, or the 8th of March, just two days ago. Well spotted.

Another clue is that 125 comes after 108.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@DebiMarie wrote:

I am wondering which of the two updates on the A8000 page is the most current? 

I usually reckon that the one at the top of the list is the latest.

A8000 Software Version 1.0.0.125 (Windows) - NETGEAR Support

That one came out on 03/08/2024 which, when converted into real-world dates, amounts to 08/03/2024, or the 8th of March, just two days ago. Well spotted.

Another clue is that 125 comes after 108.

Message 2 of 4
DebiMarie
Aspirant

I would like to thank you for confirming my question and responding so quickly. I had a thought that I may be correct, however, I wanted to hear from others regarding this new update. I initially tried to install it but it said it was for an A7000 or something, and I deleted it. Never desire to whack up a device by downloading incorrect firmware.... Learned that lesson the hard way.

I have installed this new update and I can't seem to discover anything new. I am unable to get the 6e side up and running, when I logon to the 6G side of my router, my speed is only 866. I have the TP Link Archer AX6000 Router which handles Wi-Fi 6 and I haven't quite cracked it to allow at least 1201 speed or better. I shall continue until I do make this function properly.

Message 3 of 4

@DebiMarie wrote:

Never desire to whack up a device by downloading incorrect firmware.... Learned that lesson the hard way.

You are right to be cautious, but in this case the update is not firmware but drivers and, if you install it, software on your PC.

Routers usually tell you not so be silly if you try to throw the wrong firmware at them. But stuff happens.

I am unable to get the 6e side up and running, when I logon to the 6G side of my router, my speed is only 866. I have the TP Link Archer AX6000 Router which handles Wi-Fi 6 and I haven't quite cracked it to allow at least 1201 speed or better. I shall continue until I do make this function properly.

WiFi 6 is not 6 GHz if that is what you mean by 6G. That is 6E. (Why do they set out to confuse us like this?)

The links I followed to check on the AX6000 suggest that it isn't a 6E device.

I find that the only way to work out which band I connect to is by looking at Windows and what it claims the connection is. I don't have portable stuff that does 6GHz.

michaelkenward_1-1710093019439.png

As to claims of wifi speeds, that's mostly snake oil.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7